Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - Tenth Doctor (Series 4) David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is display my Big Chief figures in a detolf with my Hot Toys and think they go together well. They're not Hot Toys quality in terms of paint jobs and tailoring but they're certainly a step above Sideshow and their efforts and far better than Hasbro toys.

I'd love to see some pics of them together :)

I've got my displays seperate, but I think that makes the BCS stuff look a lot better. I won't lie, they don't look on par with Hot Toys, but they're still good. They're in their own little category and that's okay. Here's the dedicated cubicle I have for mine, I know it doesn't answer the question for you completely, but it's good for your thoughts, eh?
72f88aa55d14348f3f603a68dfbc08ee.jpg

I agree with the above comment. You cannot compare head sculpts, bodies, articulation or stability with Hot Toys figures.
All that said, the Big Chief Doctor Who figures have their own charm, and I for one like that charm - they sort of exude Doctor Whoness (I'm coining that!!) and do look great in their own set ups. I haven't mixed any of mine up with HT, BUT I do mix them up with the Character Option 1:6 figures like the Cat, Judoon and Ood - where they all do seem to work well together.

I have nothing more than pictures to judge the CO figures with, but I assure you the BCS figures are much higher quality than that. Not knocking DVD1's statement, just clarifying to ensure you don't get the wrong idea about the "level of figure" you're buying.

Haha !! Good point. BC are way better than the CO, but I don't mind mixing BC and CO, especially those I mentioned. There is no way you can compare a CO 10th and BC 10th.

I've got my displays seperate, but I think that makes the BCS stuff look a lot better. I won't lie, they don't look on par with Hot Toys, but they're still good. They're in their own little category and that's okay. Here's the dedicated cubicle I have for mine, I know it doesn't answer the question for you completely, but it's good for your thoughts, eh?
72f88aa55d14348f3f603a68dfbc08ee.jpg

I love the pose you have Ten in there - looks great.

I think I want pictures with a Hot Toys not because I expect Big Chief figures to live up to Hot Toys quality but to get a baseline of how it might be in hand. I have Hot Toys figures in hand, so when I see a picture of a figure I have under different lighting and photography conditions I know how to take such things in account because I know what it looks like in person. So, I thought pictures of Ten with a Hot Toys figure (especially one I have) will help me, not to determine if its as good as Hot Toys, but help me to get an idea what it might look like in hand from a picture where lighting and photography can be a factor. If that makes sense.

Anyway, if it's not something anyone is able to do, that's ok. I appreciate all the feedback here.

Where are good options to order from for US buyers?

Big Bad Toy Store has them but most are pre-orders, not in stock. You miss out on the exclusive items not buying direct from Big Chief though.

What's the exclusive item? Am I wrong to assume between exchange rate and shipping it's more expensive to order from Big Chief?

Works out to be about the same I think, actually.

Incentive items are things that are given to the first 500 customers as a bonus for paying in full or on a payment plan when an item is available for pre-order.

I get mine thru BC.
If you order outside of the UK, they do not charge you VAT, which is a fair chunk of change.
International postage isn't that bad as these figures are light enough and small enough to miss out on the higher rats (unlike the upcoming Tardis).
If they still have 10 in stock, just set up an account and order it. It'll be despatched in a day or two.

if you order the 10 now from big chief you wont get the incentive adipose/river diaries/river sonic. however they can now be bought separately as an expansion pack. you wont get the open diary though which isnt exactly a loss as the pages were pretty much blank anyway.

I returned my figure (for reasons i have mentioned elsewhere in this thread). simply put, for the price, he was terrible. he really needs a repaint to really make the sculpt special. its very meh. the stand also didnt want to clip together and it has been a problem for many people who bought the 10th and 12th doctors.

As for having him standing next to a hot toys figure, I wouldnt. The blue suited 10 will just look even worse. I really wanted to like him but alas, I couldnt find many redeeming points to him. It the first time i have bought a 1/6th figure and felt short changed.

I much prefer the original 10 and am happy with just that one.

P1020854.jpg

As a sidenote, BCS are now selling hot toys figs etc but does anyone know why they are charging such a high price for them compared to other UK retailers. They're only just about cheaper than forbidden planet!!

I'm definitely repainting this HS and changing the shirt. I took it out of the box just to play aroun with it but eve though I futzed the heck out of the shirt, when putting the jacket on the shirt gets wrinkled up again.

20160101_170908.jpg
20160101_171938.jpg

Use tweezers to hold the sleeves in place when putting on layers, iron the collar flat and the shirt, and as I've mentioned to others, re-tie the tie. I don't think it's coincidence that those things make a bit difference in fit, and consequently, appearance.

Another way of keeping the shirt more in place is rubber bands around the waist, biceps and forearms. That keeps things in position pretty well.

That or regular double-sided tape placed on the stomach and lower back. It's strong enough to hold the shirt down, but won't cause any damage if you have to peel it off later. And it also won't create any bulges like a rubber band might.

Back