Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #10 David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally have five minutes to record my impressions, alas not with the figure to hand but from memory.

Basically, this is a triumph. I'm not comfortable saying whether its Hot Toys quality because I've not bought a Hot Toys figure for three years and previously had to sell all of the ones I own (I once owned three OC Batman figures! Three!). But I really don't see that its inferior to any noticeable degree, not at all.

What I love most is the skin tone; we were worried about it looking orange but in person the head and hands are vibrant natural skin tones, with the cheeks redder and some shadows around the eyes. The grey paint for the stubble has been applied much better and there's no grey wash covering the face this time. The skin that's not on the cheeks isa kind of peach colour, not brown, not orange - not oriental, not tanned - just perfect. The red cheeks make him look a little like he's out on a cold day. It just looks really lifelike and complements the superb sculpt perfectly.

There are two minor comments to be made - the whites of the eyes look a smidgen too red, and the grey paint for the stubble, though more subtle than on eleven, still needs to be dialled down a bit until its barely there - maybe they should even consider not having any? After all I don't remember ever seeing a publicity photo of Ten with five o'clock shadow. Anyway, this is constructive comment, not something that spoils the figure at all. It's certainly a massive improvement on 11, who looks grey and pallid by comparison. I can definitely see now why an 11 upgrade is a good idea, to take advantage of their improved paint apps. Something else I'd like to see is a repaint of the original sculpt for 11 - how about releasing a limited edition of Eleventh Hour Matt? This is such a popular outfit and story that I'm sure they could knock out 500 at a slightly reduced price.

Tailoring - superb with the slight exception of collars, which no one can get right at this scale. Love the suit material, and the hand that holds the sonic screwdriver perfectly (is Tennant a leftie?).

The stand is great fun, but there's something clunky and British about it - a bit like the show really. Another way of describing the show is that it's not perfect, but brilliant in all the right places. And that's a great description of this figure.

I definitely can't afford a new 11, but I can not wait for Sherlock and maybe one day a 9. Over on the 4 thread Prince-Planet made a very touching post about why that figure is important to him and while I'm glad to say I haven't suffered any major loss this year it has been a long, long, hard year. It's terrific to end it in this way.

(is Tennant a leftie?)

Maybe my only complaint about this figure, it doesn't have a right hand for the Sonic in the same shape as the left one. Only the looser ones, you have to pose it inbetween the fingers and thumb and I feel the hands are a bit too rubbery to get it just right.

I would, especially for 11 variants...but I'd also be fine with expansion packs as long as the content makes sense, last time I heard of them it was acceptable.

You must:

A.) Have a lot of disposable income to burn.

B.) Have a LOT of patience to wait almost a year for each release between pre-orders.

I have NEITHER.

Ugh, no. I'm not gonna pay more for a figure just because it includes a head I don't want. Please no double packs or heads of different Doctors. If I buy 11 I want 11 and no other. Cyberman head as an accessory would be great though.
Last edited by Liz10; Today at 12:50 PM.

I was actually thinking that BCS could have this as an exclusive edition with the Capaldi alt regn head made available through them like the exc/incl editions from sideshow collectibles...

996692_669939406362969_1641579545_n.jpg

We've come a long way.

Can we get a full comparison between the two, please? I'm thinking of picking up that CO 12" Tennant for the outfit as I fancy kitbashing a Raggedy Doctor.

They're both gone away and packed up now sorry. Unless some other kind person does it, I'm afraid it'll be Christmas before he comes out again. :(

No worries, mate. Gonna try to find some good in-hand pics on the interwebs. But it is indeed quite a difference. I used to think CO's were the best we would ever get and now look at it. I'd love to put Martha next to BC's Tennant but I think the difference in quality would be a bit too big.

It would have been a closer call if the CO figure remained true to the prototype with a better painted head and coat. It wasn't bad for its time and I still quite like it if I'm honest. Never liked the suit though, not that there was anything wrong with it. It just didn't *feel* right.

WhoPrototype2.jpg

And just throwing a picture out I saw on ol' Google.

11345090766_85d20cae94.jpg

Wow what a difference a brand makes. This is also interesting to note here's a proto of 10 by BC with what I thought was the tie from CO however look's slightly different.

It's the same from the CO figure, except crappy quality. I'm glad they went with the Swirly tie. It's a lot nicer looking, less bland/common.

It's the same from the CO figure, except crappy quality. I'm glad they went with the Swirly tie. It's a lot nicer looking, less bland/common.

Okay then, yeah me too... Remember this..? And now the waiting is finally over

The CO one was good for its time it had better articulation than I thought, though the likeness could be better and if they added more accesories like his coat and glasses it would be cool too. I own this one and the spacesuit one. I hope to either find the BC figure for a good price (hopefully less than $800)or hope that they make a variant with the blue suit with a high edition size so that the ones that already have one won't feel too threatend.

The CO one was good for its time it had better articulation than I thought, though the likeness could be better and if they added more accesories like his coat and glasses it would be cool too. I own this one and the spacesuit one. I hope to either find the BC figure for a good price (hopefully less than $800)or hope that they make a variant with the blue suit with a high edition size so that the ones that already have one won't feel too threatend.

This was a CO prototype in 1/6 scale for doomsday with 3D specs I googled. Variant will be in demand for those that missed out and even the one's who already have one I imagine as well...

Back