Better Call Saul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boooorrrrrrinnnnng.

I enjoyed the first two seasons. Wouldn't say "loved" but they were fun, mostly because of how likeable Bob Odenkirk is. Even on Mr Show he showed how versatile he is.

But now we get deep into the territory of what I feel is killing this era of "Peak TV:.....self indulgence on the part of the directors.

It's not "artsy" or clever to have several 10 minute shots with no dialogue for no reason. It's just plain boring. Something like that is fun when it builds up to something, creates suspense, has a payoff. But the last two episodes did none of that.

We already know everything that's gonna happen to Mike. He's never in danger. "Oh boy!! Gus Fring! WOW!" Wait, we already know his origin story and we already know what happens to him.

It's just plain overindulgence on the writers'/directors' parts. I'm not interested in how clever they think they are; I just want them to tell a compelling story. There was probably about 15 minutes worth of actual story in the first two episodes and it was draaaaagggged out to two hours. Just like what may have been a really compelling 2 or 3 season look at Saul's life before Breaking Bad will now get dragggged out into 6 or 7 seasons so the network can keep milking advertising money.

The guy that does "Fargo" and "Legion" is also particularly guilty of the sin of thinking he's a hell of a lot more clever than his viewers, but the king of pretentious smelling-my-own-farts TV making is the guy that does "Mr Robot."

As of Season 3, Better Call Saul is definitely in that territory too.

Boooorrrrrrinnnnng.

I enjoyed the first two seasons. Wouldn't say "loved" but they were fun, mostly because of how likeable Bob Odenkirk is. Even on Mr Show he showed how versatile he is.

But now we get deep into the territory of what I feel is killing this era of "Peak TV:.....self indulgence on the part of the directors.

It's not "artsy" or clever to have several 10 minute shots with no dialogue for no reason. It's just plain boring. Something like that is fun when it builds up to something, creates suspense, has a payoff. But the last two episodes did none of that.

We already know everything that's gonna happen to Mike. He's never in danger. "Oh boy!! Gus Fring! WOW!" Wait, we already know his origin story and we already know what happens to him.

It's just plain overindulgence on the writers'/directors' parts. I'm not interested in how clever they think they are; I just want them to tell a compelling story. There was probably about 15 minutes worth of actual story in the first two episodes and it was draaaaagggged out to two hours. Just like what may have been a really compelling 2 or 3 season look at Saul's life before Breaking Bad will now get dragggged out into 6 or 7 seasons so the network can keep milking advertising money.

The guy that does "Fargo" and "Legion" is also particularly guilty of the sin of thinking he's a hell of a lot more clever than his viewers, but the king of pretentious smelling-my-own-farts TV making is the guy that does "Mr Robot."

As of Season 3, Better Call Saul is definitely in that territory too.

sons of anarchy was guilty of that as well in the last seasons

Mr Robot season 2 was so bad. Another case of Lost syndrome. First season incredible. Second...not so much.

It's cool seeing more BrBa people pop up. I only watch it for Mike anyway.

And Kim's legs.

sons of anarchy was guilty of that as well in the last seasons

Yes. It was so bad, and soooo unnecessarily drawn out in the last season I started skipping whole episodes cause I just didn't have the patience. Didn't miss anything by doing it either.

or how to use it against him with the photos Mike took. :dunno I'm not a lawyer. But agreed. Good episode

Yeah! I couldn't figure out what the photos were about at all. Obviously, it'll come together, but I wasn't sure what that was about or what use it would be.

seems like they are going to use the photo's Mike got to show that Chuck the Schmuck' is not all there and endangering himself.Remember how much Jimmy made out of the photo of the oil lamp sitting right on the clump of papers.
Either that or some other angle because Kim seemed to feel pretty happy about having them where she wants them.

The Gus storyline is picking up.You would think Mike would have kept the money especially for his Daughter and Granddaughter which he really loves.But then like he said he didn't do it for the $.Probably does not want to owe anyone.

Can't wait to see what eventually happens to Hector and Nacho.Hope it's bad.

The last episode was great. I was like 'Awesome! Don Eladio!' Then I was like 'aww sweet! Juan Bolsa!' It's shaping up to be a great season. I love that both Victor and Tyrus are there with Saul too.

Don Eladio always cracks me up, mainly because his last name over here means "oil". So he's Don Oily... Anyway, this season seems to be mobving a bit slower than usual, but I'm enjoying it.

Don Eladio always cracks me up, mainly because his last name over here means "oil". So he's Don Oily... Anyway, this season seems to be mobving a bit slower than usual, but I'm enjoying it.

There's a Better Call Saul Insider podcast hosted by an editrix of the show. Interviews Vince Gilligan and a bunch of the cast and crew. They do hour-long (or more) commentaries on each episode. Anyway ... they said "Eladio" means "the Greek". Part of the origin of the 'winking Greek' thing.

(There's also a Breaking Bad Insider Podcast, for those who care. Same hostess. Also with Gilligan, Cranston, etc. throughout. Didn't start until the third season of BB, but they hit every episode after that. Interesting behind the scenes stuff).

I'm not getting 'slower' from this season. At all. I was thinking it was finally picking-up pace. The first two season have seemed more like a show in the same setting as Breaking Bad. This actually seems like another season of Breaking Bad. Season one was good. Season 2 was really good. This season has been great so far.

SnakeDoc

I really love the storytelling they do with these franchises. This show continues to get better and is solid.

There's a Better Call Saul Insider podcast hosted by an editrix of the show. Interviews Vince Gilligan and a bunch of the cast and crew. They do hour-long (or more) commentaries on each episode. Anyway ... they said "Eladio" means "the Greek". Part of the origin of the 'winking Greek' thing.

(There's also a Breaking Bad Insider Podcast, for those who care. Same hostess. Also with Gilligan, Cranston, etc. throughout. Didn't start until the third season of BB, but they hit every episode after that. Interesting behind the scenes stuff).

I didn't know about that (I caught the Ice Cream Shop's name, but I checked the BB Wiki, and didn't find any other clues), thanks!

I'm not getting 'slower' from this season. At all. I was thinking it was finally picking-up pace. The first two season have seemed more like a show in the same setting as Breaking Bad. This actually seems like another season of Breaking Bad. Season one was good. Season 2 was really good. This season has been great so far.

SnakeDoc

Dunno, it might be in contrast to the other shows I'm watching. Not that I'm not enjoying, or that it's bad, mind you. It's just a little bit more slow in certain scenes. It's probably a story-telling device, but it's different from most other tv series.

Finally a good episode. There's no reason the season couldn't have started here. Everything before this was a complete waste of time, with perhaps the exception of Gus talking to Mike for five minutes, which also could have been in the season opener.

Too. Much. "Artsy." Filler.

Back