Better Call Saul

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmy threw away a real shot, probably his last shot, at status and respectability. Can't wait to see him embrace Saul Goodman.

This is a lot like Walter turning down Elliott's and Gretchen's offer to pay for his cancer treatment. Pride before the fall and all that jazz.

Jimmy's change of heart in the end did seem a bit abrupt but I think they will expand on it next season. I was half expecting someone from the new firm he was interview to be either the coin chump or one of their other marks that would recognize him and Jimmy would have been screwed out of a job because of his own actions.

i would have loved that, it would have been simple and not even take too much time, that meeting felt like a wasted opportunity
I loved the episode but the end was not as strong as it could have been (Jimmy didnt even need to talk to them, just recognizing the guy from the window or something

I think next season will be Jimmy defending "bad" guys and constantly being up against HHM and his brother and beating them constantly. Jimmy will be the thorn in their side and will become a serious force to be reckoned with.

Thinking about it for a few days I really see how Jimmy only became a lawyer to make his brother proud. But now that it didn't work, he's going to do what he loved best--hoodwinking people, but now using the law to do it.

it will be amazing if they go that way, specially if Jimmy has to go against Kim and costs her the job or something. i hope they do that. seeing Jimmy having to choose between defending someone or letting Kim win the case.

One thing i dont get about the ending is what was Jimmy thinking? is not like he had anything lined up or away to make big bucks right now. all he was doing was the elderly law.... he wants to go bad and make money but so far i can't recall anything he had going on.
it was extremely risky in that regard.

besides the question to mike was kind of dumb because not only would the wife say they bribed him but the husband guy would end up in jail for 30 years....
i dont think Jimmy would have been able to live with himself if he made a father and husband go to jail for that long.

i dont see how not taking the money was just for doing the right thing when he could get in trouble for it

Remember the flashback when Jimmy was told by Howard that there wasn't a place for him at HHM?... Chucks doing.

Yes, of course I remember that. That's not making your point though. It just means Chuck didn't want Jimmy there.

Jimmy is an adult who makes his own decisions. That's what happened at the end. To discount his personal responsibility is to miss the entire point of this series.

It's not like Jimmy had no other choice than to become Saul Goodman. He had a perfectly reasonable choice that he backed out of with the other law firm. Chuck had nothing to do with that. He could have continued with his elder law practice. It was paying the bills. He could have joined a cult, become a gigolo, eaten the most hot dogs in an hour to become world champ, or just run away with the carnival. Jimmy had a wealth of choices before him. He chose to follow the same slimy trail that Slippin' Jimmy had already become so familiar with. But now, he was going to run his scams with a law degree.

One thing i dont get about the ending is what was Jimmy thinking? is not like he had anything lined up or away to make big bucks right now. all he was doing was the elderly law.... he wants to go bad and make money but so far i can't recall anything he had going on.
it was extremely risky in that regard.

besides the question to mike was kind of dumb because not only would the wife say they bribed him but the husband guy would end up in jail for 30 years....
i dont think Jimmy would have been able to live with himself if he made a father and husband go to jail for that long.

i dont see how not taking the money was just for doing the right thing when he could get in trouble for it

He has a whole history of scams in his back pocket. The elder law stuff was just a way to try and go legit and earn an honest living so Chuck would be proud. Even the billboard and skateboard stuff were just very mild, innocent scams that wouldn't really hurt anyone.

Now all bets are off for him.

As far as the money thing, even if he didn't take the whole amount and split it with Mike, they were holding all the cards and they could have squeezed a significant amount more out of the Kellermans. The couple would have to admit taking the money in order to accuse Jimmy of extortion or bribery or whatever. And the new Jimmy wouldn't care about the husband serving in jail. Or Jimmy and Mike could have just stolen the money and simply kept quiet and the Kellermans might have suspected it was him but wouldn't have proof.

He has a whole history of scams in his back pocket. The elder law stuff was just a way to try and go legit and earn an honest living so Chuck would be proud. Even the billboard and skateboard stuff were just very mild, innocent scams that wouldn't really hurt anyone.

Now all bets are off for him.

As far as the money thing, even if he didn't take the whole amount and split it with Mike, they were holding all the cards and they could have squeezed a significant amount more out of the Kellermans. The couple would have to admit taking the money in order to accuse Jimmy of extortion or bribery or whatever. And the new Jimmy wouldn't care about the husband serving in jail. Or Jimmy and Mike could have just stolen the money and simply kept quiet and the Kellermans might have suspected it was him but wouldn't have proof.

thats true they wouldnt know unless he told them... i forgot

The wife was adamant that the money was not stolen, that her husband earned it by working hard. She would never have admitted that it was stolen from them, much less that they took it in the first place.

All 1 of them? :lol
Jimmy still had the elder law practice. Nothing was stopping him from continuing on with that. Nothing.

Bottom line is Jimmy still had a slew of choices he could make with his life at that point, the most reasonable one was taking the interview and probably getting a job with the other firm. He was not backed into a corner, he was not forced into turning his car around. Chuck blocked one simple path, and he was right in doing it. Jimmy always takes the easy way out. You do see the obvious repetition of the word "choice" in everything I'm saying. Chuck didn't take away any choice from Jimmy. He took away a chance, but he did not do anything to limit his choices.

The only reason Jimmy wants to be a lawyer is to impress Chuck. Period.

Chuck's rejection drove Jimmy right back to his old way of life because nothing else was keeping him there. And that was the last time Jimmy was happy and not working himself to death for little to nothing. (he realizes this at his bingo breakdown)

Even after all that, Jimmy was still ready to go back to Chuck and take care of him.

He finally realizes after hanging with Marco, he can't. Chuck will never look up to Jimmy or have mutual respect for him. Marco always has and still does. He doesn't want to go his own way because he doesn't want to "just" be a lawyer. Jimmy realizes that it hasn't all been a waste though. Like he said, his thing with Marco was only good for beer money.

But as a lawyer, he was able to use those same con-artist skills to expose himself to way larger paydays. The only thing that prevented him from going that full-on "bad" route was Chuck. He even questioned it with Mike at the end there and realized that Chuck was the only reason he didn't just take the 700,000 and run.

Chucks not in the way anymore so now Jimmy will full on use his con-man and lawyer skills together to become Saul.

Loved it.

The only reason Jimmy wants to be a lawyer is to impress Chuck. Period.

Chuck's rejection drove Jimmy right back to his old way of life because nothing else was keeping him there. And that was the last time Jimmy was happy and not working himself to death for little to nothing. (he realizes this at his bingo breakdown)

Even after all that, Jimmy was still ready to go back to Chuck and take care of him.

He finally realizes after hanging with Marco, he can't. Chuck will never look up to Jimmy or have mutual respect for him. Marco always has and still does. Jimmy realizes that it hasn't all been a waste though. Like he said, his thing with Marco was only good for beer money.

But as a lawyer, he was able to use those same con-artist skills to expose himself to way larger paydays. The only thing that prevented him from going that route was Chuck. He even questioned it with Mike at the end there and realized that Chuck was the only reason he didn't just take the 700,000 and run.

Chucks not in the way anymore so now Jimmy will full on use his con-man and lawyer skills together to become Saul.

Loved it.

great point

I must of missed him quitting the elder law. Isn't that what made him go home?

Of course Chucks revelation made him think twice about taking the interview. That and the week hustling with his old buddy.

He didn't quit elder law. All of his clients got transferred to HHM and the other law firm they brought in. He basically sold them to Hamlin when he took the deal.

What's her face even mentions how they still constantly ask the new lawyers about Jimmy at Sandpiper on their phone convo.

Chuck clearly feels bad and loves Jimmy though. You can tell when he's about to run out there when he sees Jimmy's car outside through the blinds. Jimmy also still cares about his older bro. It's a sad turn of events and both of them no doubt have their regrets.

I personally think Chuck is going to blow up from the natural gas in the house in Season 2 or 3. Anyone else notice the focus on the stove, pot and kettle when Chuck is in the background looking all sad and depressed out the window? They've been foreshadowing it almost every episode, the doctor is even concerned when Chick was at the hospital.

He didn't quit elder law. All of his clients got transferred to HHM and the other law firm they brought in. He basically sold them to Hamlin when he took the deal.

What's her face even mentions how they still constantly ask the new lawyers about Jimmy at Sandpiper on their phone convo.
Everything regarding the case was transferred to HHM. He was still getting messages regarding writing wills etc.
We'll see what transpires in season two... After a long wait :(

Only the clients that were part of the Sandpiper suit were transferred. He didn't sign over his whole practice. That's why he was still doing bingo, to keep a client base open.

Chuck clearly feels bad and loves Jimmy though. You can tell when he's about to run out there when he sees Jimmy's car outside through the blinds. Jimmy also still cares about his older bro. It's a sad turn of events and both of them no doubt have their regrets.

I personally think Chuck is going to blow up from the natural gas in the house in Season 2 or 3. Anyone else notice the focus on the stove, pot and kettle when Chuck is in the background looking all sad and depressed out the window? They've been foreshadowing it almost every episode, the doctor is even concerned when Chick was at the hospital.

yeah.... :(

Only the clients that were part of the Sandpiper suit were transferred. He didn't sign over his whole practice. That's why he was still doing bingo, to keep a client base open.

But you said he could of continued with his elder law?

Anyway, Chuck is an ****... IMO :lol

Either way it doesn't really matter. The lynch pin is and was always Chuck. Jimmy became a lawyer purely to gain his respect after Chuck saved his ass. Now that he finally came to terms with that situation, he won't be passing up huge illegal paydays again.

I'm quite shocked that Nacho survived the season.

That's an interesting theory. I think it'll be some similar situation, an accident caused by his condition since he brings it on himself, or directly because Jimmy does something illegal. Like dealing with the wrong people and they take revenge on Chuck.

Back