Best way to score HT MM HICKS?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Excalibur82

Freakalicious
Reaction score
images

Hi guys,
(This is not a want thread yet)

For those of you that own the Hot Toys Aliens Hicks figure. Can you give some feedback as to the quality of it? Is he durable? fragile? and is the custom head sculpt hard to get?

Secondly, I would like to know how exactly you can score one of these. Should I fork out $600+ on ebay for him? or are there cheaper ways to get him maybe loose without his box for less cash?

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

I got one for less than $350 on eBay a few months ago. Keep your eyes peeled. The body is a TrueType, but an earlier, cheaper feeling one. It is a weird color, the hands looks funky, and you have to put it together. I just used another, more updated one for my Hicks. You can get a fantastic headsculpt from Xenoviper, find one of Les Walker's older ones, or get the "Stoner" HT military head (which I believe is the Hicks head shown on the box) and get it repainted. The latter is the one that I've got, and it works fantastically if you want to put his helmet on him (it has slicked back hair). The stock head was the same as the Kyle Reese head, and is not very good unless you just don't have another option.

There are a few threads here with other options regarding customization to make him more movie accurate, but for me, the head sculpt was the only thing that I feel was needed. Below are some pics of mine with the Stoner head that I bought from a member here. Good luck!

SDC11716.jpg

SDC11712.jpg

At a quick glance I though the OP was asking the best way to score chicks, but then again, I'm a dirty dirty boy ;D

BTW those pics show how far HT has improved over the years :)

I got one for less than $350 on eBay a few months ago. Keep your eyes peeled. The body is a TrueType, but an earlier, cheaper feeling one. It is a weird color, the hands looks funky, and you have to put it together. I just used another, more updated one for my Hicks. You can get a fantastic headsculpt from Xenoviper, find one of Les Walker's older ones, or get the "Stoner" HT military head (which I believe is the Hicks head shown on the box) and get it repainted. The latter is the one that I've got, and it works fantastically if you want to put his helmet on him (it has slicked back hair). The stock head was the same as the Kyle Reese head, and is not very good unless you just don't have another option.

There are a few threads here with other options regarding customization to make him more movie accurate, but for me, the head sculpt was the only thing that I feel was needed. Below are some pics of mine with the Stoner head that I bought from a member here. Good luck!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback man. I will take your advice and keep my eyes open. Hicks was such a great character. I don't understand why most toy companies have not given him any attention. I owned the McFarlane Toys Hicks some years back, but he lost his luster when Neca started pumping out their own 6inch movie figure lines.

How is HT Hicks as far as durability?

The little clip on the back of his armor that holds the lamp on is very fragile. Many have broke, including mine, but you can glue it back on. I don't know how durable the stock body is, but I suspect there are no major problems.

the figure itself looks pretty cheap by today's Hot Toys standards. i got it when it came out and i was still disappointed in the sculpt and paint app. and if you can get one now, it'll cost you an arm/leg to get it to look passable. unless you REALLY like the character, i'd just move on to better figures. those old Hot Toys figures stick out like a sore thumb with their newer ones. and if you're worried about the price, you should maybe consider a cheaper hobby.

unless you REALLY like the character, i'd just move on to better figures. those old Hot Toys figures stick out like a sore thumb with their newer ones.
Yeah, but several of the newer, "better" figures are from garbage movies like Terminator: Salvation, Spirit, and Prince of Persia. I collect characters I like from films I like. Hicks is that, and if you want a nice 1/6 version, you go with the older Hot Toys version and modify or you get nothing.

Yeah, but several of the newer, "better" figures are from garbage movies like Terminator: Salvation, Spirit, and Prince of Persia. I collect characters I like from films I like. Hicks is that, and if you want a nice 1/6 version, you go with the older Hot Toys version and modify or you get nothing.

I agree with that, right on the money. They keep releasing great HT for crappy films. For example, why haven't we gotten a HT Snake Plissken from Escape from New York yet? But instead we get Prince of Persia?

If you're worried about the price, you should maybe consider a cheaper hobby.

It's true, these are very expensive toys we are talking about. But I have to at least try to get some sort of a bargain. Can you honestly look any outsider in the eye and tell them that you, a grown man, spent $700 for a doll? I mean c'mon!

Nice pick up on the Hicks figure karamazov80. Aliens is my all time favorite movie and I've been interested in this figure since day one of collecting 1/6. I love seeing pics of the Marines all together and I SO wish HT's would revisit this line.

I really wanted them to do a DX of Hicks but I'm not sure that would seem to fit the current criteria for a DX figure. All I know is that it would sell...I might just have to buy 2 I would be so excited!

Regarding this thread, with them showing a T1 T-800...is there hope that a Kyle Reese - Biehn H/S could possibly save you the time/funds of tracking down a custom one?

It is. I can assure you. If there havent been figures of them with their likeness by now, they probably wont sell it. And if they do, they'd want a HUGE sum of money.

Or the studio that owns the license wont give it up.

I agree with that, right on the money. They keep releasing great HT for crappy films. For example, why haven't we gotten a HT Snake Plissken from Escape from New York yet? But instead we get Prince of Persia?

Licensing issues. I do hope they acquire that license, though. That movie was not only iconic, but is highly influential in pop cultures around the world. Just look at the Metal Gear series.

I also agree with CelticP. It's more difficult and costly to gain the licenses for older films. Nowadays, movie licenses already have the casts' likeness packaged in for merchandises etc. For older films, they'll need to acquire licenses for the movies and then acquire the licenses for each actor/actress they'll make figures of. Just look at how the Billy Sole figure turned out. They couldn't get Sonny Landham's license, so they tried to cover that sculpt in as much inaccurate pant app as possible.

^ There's only been 2 Kurt Russell figures made...one by McF, and one by NECA. He might be down....but is the studio that made it down to let them? Remember, the only Snake Plissken figure was from Escape from LA. Not New York.

McFarlane Toys had the Kurt Russell license for Movie Maniacs. So I don't think the Russell license is that expensive. But maybe you guys are right.

Oh, an just an FYI

I hope you guys know that they are planning to butcher Escape From New York with another trendy PG-13 remake. I think Gerard Butler is still slated to play Snake, and you know it will star the likes of Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel, and the Duke will be played by a gangsta rapper.

Hollywood doesn't give a crap about the classics. It's all about quick weekend cash from teenagers now.

It's true, these are very expensive toys we are talking about. But I have to at least try to get some sort of a bargain. Can you honestly look any outsider in the eye and tell them that you, a grown man, spent $700 for a doll? I mean c'mon!

It's your money, you earned it, spend it however you want (as long as it's legal). Nuts to what "outsiders" think; they can either respect your hobby, or mind their own business :dunno. At least, that's my philosophy.

i personally wouldn't. i have a decent collection now and i have yet to spend more than $200 on a figure (Guardian, ED209, etc.). for me, there is too much cooler stuff to get at that price than figures. your mileage may vary. of course, these figures aren't getting any cheaper and the expected price for Hot Toys is hitting $200 retail, so i'll have to revise that price cap at some point soon. then again, i can afford it.

McFarlane Toys had the Kurt Russell license for Movie Maniacs. So I don't think the Russell license is that expensive. But maybe you guys are right.

Oh, an just an FYI

I hope you guys know that they are planning to butcher Escape From New York with another trendy PG-13 remake. I think Gerard Butler is still slated to play Snake, and you know it will star the likes of Jessica Alba or Jessica Biel, and the Duke will be played by a gangsta rapper.

Hollywood doesn't give a crap about the classics. It's all about quick weekend cash from teenagers now.

I remember that Snake Plissken figure from McFarlane :clap. I'll definitely have to track it down some day.

As for the new "Escape from New York" movie, the last I heard, it was in production hell.

Back