Batman Life Size Bust Sideshow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is mine!

92w3.jpg

Too much distance between the bottom of the nose and the top of the lips; like a football field. Even the classic blue and grey colors can't save this piece...:(

You guys and these close-up shots and weird angles do not help sell these pieces at all. :lol

BB

Last edited:
I just don't like the white eyes (even though l know that's how they are supposed to be). Also the whole bottom face actually looks like Arnold with a bat mask on.

This bust looks good but.... after buying cap 1:1 and Thor 1:1 I noticed that the life sized bust line never looks comparable to the soliciting photos on the SS website. All SS statues look better on the promo photos but the difference is huge with the lab. With that being said I'm still 50/50 picking up the blue version. The black version is a peach in the promo pics but the in had photos show a real flat black paint

Custom 1:1 busts aren't that much more expensive and are of a much higher quality than SS. When I say custom, I mean low ES runs by an individual artist. These artists need to sell their product to pay their bills, and you can see that urgency, time, respect, and quality in each piece that they produce. All corporations inevitably lose sight of these ideals. Speaking strictly from experience, my busts from Daran Holt are the BEST that I own.

No tripod, only a good light :)

Then you are truly talented sir! :clap

I have to admit I'm a much bigger fan of Batman than anything else in comics and I think the Batman bust is the 'worst' of the DC lot.
Though worst in a sea of awesome.

Blue?? Ugh. Just.... no.

Now, Batman will always be my 'number one' and I grew up in the Adams/Aparo days (until my all-time fave, Marshall Rogers, came along) but at 1:1 scale, these busts are meant to give us a "real-world interpretation" of our favorite characters....

....and the idea that Batman could strike fear into the heart of anyone by wearing that shade of blue at night?

Puh-leeze. :slap

"Even the classic colors can't save this piece..." Wow. "Save it"? People who aren't even Batman collectors have been purchasing this extraordinary bust not only because of its self-evident artistic merit, but because it captures the enigmatic essence of the character in a way like no other collectible has. Complaints about distorted proportions have been proven bogus again and again, schematically and otherwise, yet frustrated detractors simply won't give in. Most revealing are the graphically "corrected" versions provided by the naysayers to prove their incorrect points... and because these complaints are so obviously erroneous to begin with, the re-dos provided can't help but be ugly, distorted ruinations of a beautifully conceived sculpt. And still the complainers can't see that their ideas for "improvement" would produce the kind of disaster they claim Andy M's piece is now... even when that proof is right in front of them!! Look, taste is taste, and as we all know there's no accounting for it. These life-size DC busts are a fascinating combination of comic book illustration (by definition an art form that embraces exaggeration) and realism; for them to be satisfying, BOTH creative areas must be addressed. Hear that, detractors? Both. That means a certain amount of distortion and exaggeration is actually required. Andy, a superb sculptor who understands these specific creative requirements, has met this challenge beautifully. And since everything comes down to opinion, in MY opinion those who capriciously damn such an inspiring piece of work for the real or imagined "faults" they are citing have truly bizarre creative priorities.

"Even the classic colors can't save this piece..." Wow. "Save it"? People who aren't even Batman collectors have been purchasing this extraordinary bust not only because of its self-evident artistic merit, but because it captures the enigmatic essence of the character in a way like no other collectible has. Complaints about distorted proportions have been proven bogus again and again, schematically and otherwise, yet frustrated detractors simply won't give in. Most revealing are the graphically "corrected" versions provided by the naysayers to prove their incorrect points... and because these complaints are so obviously erroneous to begin with, the re-dos provided can't help but be ugly, distorted ruinations of a beautifully conceived sculpt. And still the complainers can't see that their ideas for "improvement" would produce the kind of disaster they claim Andy M's piece is now... even when that proof is right in front of them!! Look, taste is taste, and as we all know there's no accounting for it. These life-size DC busts are a fascinating combination of comic book illustration (by definition an art form that embraces exaggeration) and realism; for them to be satisfying, BOTH creative areas must be addressed. Hear that, detractors? Both. That means a certain amount of distortion and exaggeration is actually required. Andy, a superb sculptor who understands these specific creative requirements, has met this challenge beautifully. And since everything comes down to opinion, in MY opinion those who capriciously damn such an inspiring piece of work for the real or imagined "faults" they are citing have truly bizarre creative priorities.

Reading this reminded me of how students write BS papers. Especially the parts I put in bold. :lol

(no offense. Just my opinion)

this is one of the worst 1:1 comic busts SS has done imo. The sculpt has always looked off to me, but I guess people are still buying it, so whatever.

pretty surprised of all the hate for this bust! looks great on my shelf,, different strokes for different folks I guess :)
4uramu9e.jpg

No hate here... Pictures do not do this bust justice :lecture ... I like mine a lot, but from day one I wanted to custom it to Blue/Grey.

agree! was planning to get superman bust alone till I saw this in the LCS. blue or black variant both looks cool IMHO, wish to have the extra money & space to get the blue bust to go with the joker!

Back