Batman: Arkham City - Spoilers Allowed!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding DLC, always keep your expectations in check. A secondary team with the company creates the DLC. The primary team is hard at work on the next game.

Looking at the main menu and the character trophy screen after installing and beating the DLC...it seems like there should be just a little more there, to even things out. But this has been declared the last of the DLC, right?

I was noticing that too. Seems like they ought to have things all even and everything, but I doubt anything else at this point :( Usually when they release a GotY edition, its got everything thats going to come out.

Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (whatever that means) displayed on the WiiU at E3.

https://t.co/7YlNKhDM

AuvXHEOCIAAdWvW.jpg:large

It looks like there is some on-screen functionality with the WiiU controller, and maybe an armored batsuit skin (look closely at the neck)....but I doubt this will be a different enough experience to warrant buying this game.

Edit: Found a video --- still gonna pass on this at full price.

https://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/06/batman-arkham-city-armored-edition-takes-us-on-a-virtual-tour/

Last edited:
Saw that yesterday. Makes me wonder if we'll get those armored outfits of Batman and Catwoman as DLC on 360/PS3 eventually. I mean, they like to nickle and dime us right?

Armoured edition is pointless IMO simply because the Gamepad features are, well you have to take your eyes of the TV. In a fight, thats fatal.

Just finished Harleys Revenge. I enjoyed it. Took a hour to beat but was worth it. Quite like the cliff hanger at the end. Its a good set up for Arkham 3. I can imagine starting the game with Batman losing it, nearly killing a thug. Be it Crane or Hatter only for Nightwing to stop him. Then have them force Batman to get his head right and play as Nightwing and Robin working together. Could be taunted by messages left by Joker even though he is 'dead' (you left me to die! sort of thing, like joker in his eventual death, organised taunts and to screw with Bats' head).

Slightly off topic, I always play music over my AC/AA games. I always put a selection of my favourite Batman tracks from BTAS, Nolans films and from the games, and this came on, right after robin looked at the camera and the credits rolled. Thought it was actually quite perfect;

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NokeTLRMeEk[/ame]

Sounds like laughter, pretty haunting over the black screen credits. Made me imagine the 'laughs' at the beginning of the song going over and over in Batmans head.

Just out of curiosity, why do you play music over the AA/AC games?
I personally think the music in those games, AC especially, is just as good as any movie score. In fact the AC score is so good I can literally listen to it on repeat all day and never get bored.

Just out of curiosity, why do you play music over the AA/AC games?
I personally think the music in those games, AC especially, is just as good as any movie score. In fact the AC score is so good I can literally listen to it on repeat all day and never get bored.

I dont know.

I think part of it is I love the BTAS music. Voices are alot of BTAS actors. Makes sense from that perspective. Hans Zimmers music is also astonishing. It instantly makes me think of Batman. I mean, 'why so serious' playing in the background of joker in audiotorium..... its perfect.

Ive got the music from both AA/AC which I like. But alot of it doesnt hit me as Batman. AC's main theme, is perfection. I have the extended version of that which plays over. In the main theme, I hear alot of the best music track from the '89 film in it with the violin and the up tempo;

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iK7KKsO3BY[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1gqNNzTHs[/ame]

But yeah. To be honest, I love the music from the different medias linking together. AA/AC has a little bit of Nolan film, Little bit of comics, little bit of Burtons films and alot of BTAS. Gliding around AC, I always think of 'A Dark Knight' by hans zimmer, when batmans in Hong Kong. Same with the electric gun, reminds me of the Clay timed explosive.

Its all different interpretations, coming into one ultimate version. Theres nothing better than taking down 12 goons listening to the Main theme from AC, or 'nothing to fear' from BTAS, 'dog chasing cars' by Zimmer.

Its like, a nerdgasm really.

Armoured edition is pointless IMO simply because the Gamepad features are, well you have to take your eyes of the TV. In a fight, thats fatal.

Why would you have to take your eyes off of the TV during a fight? :dunno

The features of the gamepad screen during the demo video are:
1. Access to the Batcomputer to look at the map / set waypoints
2. Upgrade gear and weaponry
3. Get intel on enemies
4. Equip and personalize your gadget loadout
5. Use sonar to detect the position of the enemies (sneaking rooms), and selective detonation of explosive gel
6. Remote control Batarang motion control

The only new fight feature on the WiiU is the B.A.T. meter...which fills up on a HUD on your TV screen during a fight so you know when it is ready to use. Then you just tap the screen on the controller (you wouldn't have to "look" at the gamepad for the right spot to tap anymore than you would have to look at the gamepad to hit the A or B button, you just know where it is.)

During a fight, you never have to look away from the TV.

Saw that yesterday. Makes me wonder if we'll get those armored outfits of Batman and Catwoman as DLC on 360/PS3 eventually. I mean, they like to nickle and dime us right?

Yeah, and those armored outfits plus a couple of new thug models would even out the "empty" slots on the character trophy screen.

Why would you have to take your eyes off of the TV during a fight? :dunno

The features of the gamepad screen during the demo video are:
1. Access to the Batcomputer to look at the map / set waypoints
2. Upgrade gear and weaponry
3. Get intel on enemies
4. Equip and personalize your gadget loadout
5. Use sonar to detect the position of the enemies (sneaking rooms), and selective detonation of explosive gel
6. Remote control Batarang motion control

The only new fight feature on the WiiU is the B.A.T. meter...which fills up on a HUD on your TV screen during a fight so you know when it is ready to use. Then you just tap the screen on the controller (you wouldn't have to "look" at the gamepad for the right spot to tap anymore than you would have to look at the gamepad to hit the A or B button, you just know where it is.)

During a fight, you never have to look away from the TV.

Ok. so everything that was on the D-pad warrants a second screen? Everything on there bar sonar, was on a standard controller making the pad pointless. touch to detonate? Oh hai R2 button. Gadgets pre mapped on D-pad? perfect. Six axis did Remote batarang. waypoints etc? Select button. job done.

Its a stupid design to make use of a waste of time pad. why use the gamepad when i can already play an 8 month old game fluently on a standard controller?

Ok. so everything that was on the D-pad warrants a second screen? Everything on there bar sonar, was on a standard controller making the pad pointless. touch to detonate? Oh hai R2 button. Gadgets pre mapped on D-pad? perfect. Six axis did Remote batarang. waypoints etc? Select button. job done.

Its a stupid design to make use of a waste of time pad. why use the gamepad when i can already play an 8 month old game fluently on a standard controller?

Hey, I'm not saying the WiiU screen isn't a gimmick, I'm just arguing against your point that you have to look at it during a fight.

There is nothing in the description or demo video that shows you have to look at it during a fight.

What were you actually expecting? The game is a port, so this stuff is obviously going to feel tacked-on, because the game wasn't originally designed around dual screens. Having a map on the second screen (which I assume they're doing...?) is a good, useful addition as it means you don't need to keep pausing the game. Plus with stuff like tracing Zsasz's calls the touch screen would work well, and using the pad to scan crime scenes is also quite a cool feature.

But you seriously can't complain seeing as this is a port. The Nintendo DS used the second screen really well and it stopped being a gimmick, as games were designed around it. The Wii U will be the same, but expecting such from a port is silly. Armoured Edition basically exists because a lot of people who only owned a Wii won't have been able to get AC, so when they get a Wii U they'll be experiencing the game for the first time. It's not targeted at people who have already played the game - the new skins and WiiU pad controls aren't intended to get us to buy the same game again.

Hey, I'm not saying the WiiU screen isn't a gimmick, I'm just arguing against your point that you have to look at it during a fight.
Not a gimmick when it's used right. The WiiU is basically a home console Nintendo DS, and many games on that system used the second screen really well, so I have no doubt that the same will happen here. Just not when tacked on to ports.

What were you actually expecting? The game is a port, so this stuff is obviously going to feel tacked-on, because the game wasn't originally designed around dual screens. Having a map on the second screen (which I assume they're doing...?) is a good, useful addition as it means you don't need to keep pausing the game. Plus with stuff like tracing Zsasz's calls the touch screen would work well, and using the pad to scan crime scenes is also quite a cool feature.

But you seriously can't complain seeing as this is a port. The Nintendo DS used the second screen really well and it stopped being a gimmick, as games were designed around it. The Wii U will be the same, but expecting such from a port is silly. Armoured Edition basically exists because a lot of people who only owned a Wii won't have been able to get AC, so when they get a Wii U they'll be experiencing the game for the first time. It's not targeted at people who have already played the game - the new skins and WiiU pad controls aren't intended to get us to buy the same game again.

Not a gimmick when it's used right. The WiiU is basically a home console Nintendo DS, and many games on that system used the second screen really well, so I have no doubt that the same will happen here. Just not when tacked on to ports.

a port is a direct copy of one to another. This has features only for Wii-u so its not a port as it also has new content and a years work.

Problem being how games can utilise that are multi console. Kinect/psmove support on multiplats are always tacked on. The DS analogy is also poor; screens are above and below. its different looking from tv to pad. Either way the pad just feels like things are being forced through to use because its there, which is the problem which can only be solved by dedicated games to the pad. And framerate drops when more than one is used.

a port is a direct copy of one to another. This has features only for Wii-u so its not a port as it also has new content and a years work.

Problem being how games can utilise that are multi console. Kinect/psmove support on multiplats are always tacked on. The DS analogy is also poor; screens are above and below. its different looking from tv to pad. Either way the pad just feels like things are being forced through to use because its there, which is the problem which can only be solved by dedicated games to the pad. And framerate drops when more than one is used.
Actually the DS analogy is perfect, because the screens here are also above and below. It's no different looking from TV to pad, other than it taking perhaps two milliseconds longer, lol. All it needs now are some decent games that use the second screen well, and you can't complain about games like Arkham City using it badly. When games begin to be developed either exclusively for Wii U, or at a time when they can think about how to add in good Wii U features, then it might be used well. But not when they're releasing a game that they already made a year ago.

And it's a port of the game from 360/PS3 to Wii U, with extra stuff tacked on. So it kinda is still a port.

I've headed back into Arkham City to get 100%. I've got my Platinum, but I still need the trophies for Catwoman, Nightwing, and Robin, so that's what I'm going to do.

That they are. So far, I've just finished up Batman's ranked maps and campaigns (Spoiler Alert: The Joker's Carnival is a *****), Catwoman's main combat maps, as well as Robin's and Nightwing's, yet I still have the Predator maps and campaigns to do! :gah:

Finally finished this game after shelving it for untold months. Great game, loved the "Escape From NY" feel (although truth be told I enjoyed the first game much better). After playing it the whole way through I gotta say my favorite parts were playing as Catwoman, it'd never happen but I'd love to see her on her own game!!! I'm all over the Sideshow figure now since it reminds me so much of the AC version (and no it's not because she's hot, she s just a video game character afterall, it's because I truly enjoyed her gameplay. Maybe after playing such a bulky Batman for so long it was fun to have this petite badass chic doing spin kicks and stuff, who knows.

Back