Batman '89 & Superman '78 comics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prime Clone

Super Freak
Reaction score
Somehow missed the original announcement, but these are two series I didn't know I needed and am looking forward to.

We'll get to see Billy Dee Williams' Two-Face, Prince's Gemini as a member of Joker's Gang, and the Donnerverse's Brainiac!

Also, Batman '89 is written by original screenwriter Sam Hamm. And note in the concept art, Bruce is wearing the same underoos as the Kenner action figure from back in the day!

batman89_adv.jpg

E2U4zgZWYAUvRkE

E4LbsiSXwAA1pqN

EuX8WSDXEAUkqio

EuX8WSEWYAAIjrF

EuX8WSGWYAMp14b

superman78_adv.jpg

Superman-78-1-A.jpg

Superman-78-1-B.jpg

superman78.jpg

89 Batman comic looks like the art will be good but it's gonna bother the ever loving hell out of me that he has the 89 costume and the Returns symbol.

(Prince's Joker character (Gemini from the music videos/soundtrack?) looks very cool.

If this doesn't suck I could even see myself buying the trade paperback in physical form, something I rarely do these days.

However, that promo cover for Superman's artwork looks abysmal. Where do Marvel and DC find these people?

Comic book art is utter garbage since about the very late 90s and early 2000s. Over two decades of slop.

Back in my day, people used to DRAW. No (very little) tracing, no computer assisted 3D models, no pics of Christopher Reeve looking like some kind fish monster.

Artists used to draw with pencils and inks on bristol boards, not tablet screens....

1624119196030.jpeg

Oh, and of course rest in peace to the fantastic Ned Beatty.

OFF TOPIC

If you've never seen "Network" (1976), I IMPLORE you to just take a short 6 minutes out of your busy day and watch this insanely mesmerizing scene. The man got nominated for a supporting Oscar for this few minutes of footage. And the scary part is it's over 40 years old and more true than ever.

I’m a pretty big DC reader but somehow these titles slipped by me.
Thanks for starting the thread, now I know!

I remember sitting down to watch this film 2 or 3 years ago ... maybe 4? Anyway it was shocking how well it described the current day.

"Batman" or "Network?"

I'm assuming Network....utter masterpiece of a film!

Can you imagine a black Harvey Dent/Two Face these days? I'd catch a tan from the 'woke agenda' meltdown!

Last edited:
Back in middle school there was a pic of Billy Dee in my local newspaper. I clipped it and with a ballpoint pen tried to turn him into Two-Face. I was not (and still am not) a good artist. But damn it, I've been waiting over 30 years to see this!

I love Tommy Lee Jones but in my opinion he was a piss poor Two Face....just a cackling maniac in loud clothes, like Joker-lite. I can't believe I've looking forward to a comic book for the first time in....decades?

I missed this too, how many issues have been released so far?

Not too bothered about supes but this version of two face will be interesting

Not sure I like the white eyes, that's not like the burton movies

Also who's excited for Marlon wayans as Robin?!

I love Tommy Lee Jones but in my opinion he was a piss poor Two Face....just a cackling maniac in loud clothes, like Joker-lite.
Yeah, it felt like he was just trying to keep up with Jim Carrey, which is a tall order.

I missed this too, how many issues have been released so far?
None. Digital-only from late July, physical issues to follow.

Also, I guess this means the Burtonverse is breaking away from the Schumacherverse - even if they share an Alfred and a Gordon!

Since we've had Batman '66 and Wonder Woman '77 now all we'll need is Flash '90.

True story: I met Marlon Wayans at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood in 2003, and I grilled him about his role in Batman Returns, if he shot any scenes, if he wore a costume, etc.

He denied everything.

True story: I met Marlon Wayans at Meltdown Comics in Hollywood in 2003, and I grilled him about his role in Batman Returns, if he shot any scenes, if he wore a costume, etc.

He denied everything.

I believe there’s a still pic, out there, of him and Michael Keaton working on fixing the Batmobile (presumably, after the Bat Missile scene), so I would assume that they probably at least filmed that scene. Don’t know if originally there was ever any intention of him being in a version of the Robin costume. My understanding was that he was playing a kid named Robin, who had some kind of background as a mechanic, and Batman recruited him for help, fixing the Batmobile.

The Batman stuff looks interesting.

It can't be easy for current artists to reimagine characters in the 89 Batman style and recreate the Tim Burton aesthetic. They should consult with the costume designers and artists of that time to get a better idea of what things would of looked like had it been made back in the 80s and early 90s.

It kind of reminds me of the Blade Runner sequel. They tried recreating the look and feel of the original world, but something was off.

Back