1/6 Bandai stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished building one of these Bandai 1/6 stormtroopers for my brother in law, with a custom paint job.
Its an excellent kit that goes together very well, extremely well thought out and engineered.
I really don't have the knowledge to comment on the accuracy, but I have to say the head is a little large in proportion to the rest of the body, and the torso and legs are really thin.
One might almost say that Bandai applied "anime" male proportions to this figure.
My brother took one look and said it looked like a woman in a stormtrooper's armour.
Nevertheless it was a great kit to build and paint.
One of word of warning to anybody planning to paint this figure.
The armour is a glossy smooth plastic, so you need to buff it down with 800 grit sandpaper and prime it beforehand.
I made the mistake of trying to paint humbrol enamel (which sticks to anything) directly and practically emptied an entire tinlet getting total coverage. Its a big figure so a lot of paint is needed but the plastic is so smooth I got a little runoff and pooling in some places.
The paint job is my rendition of WWII German paratrooper splinter camo.
I think it came out ok considering I haven't really painted anything in the last decade.

Here's a pic

I put on a 1/6 scale Navy Seal action figure's assault vest just because...

20171015_035510_zpsjrg9gn8i.jpg

Thanks. My brother-in-law had requested a more weathered look so I applied a wash and then some drybrushing to bring out the edges.

Here's our stormtrooper lookin' sexy!

And here he is getting thru a rough bout of ptsd with the help of a friend

My brother was on the Death Star. He was so happy to be on hangar bay security!

We took Hoth?

Lets get back to fightin' those rebel scum!

After all, he does have the highest kill count in the entire legion. 42 confirmed kills!

Our stormtrooper is so grateful for the warm encouragement from Natasha that he finally decided to talk to Tony about cutting back on those sexist remarks. Its not funny anymore, Tony!

Thanks so much.
I mostly used military modelling paint techniques, and used some old WWII RAF bomber decals to make things a bit non-canon.
I like to think the V pointing to the lowest 2 hashes on the kill count means "Confirmed by Vader".

Anyone know if Bandai plans to release any more 1/6 models? They continue to churn out 1/12's but I haven't heard a peep. Surely they couldn't have just stopped at Yoda lol.

I could see them doing more troopers, but stuff like Darth Vader or the Droids require a lot more detail to make them look good 1/6. I don't see them expanding beyond that; Yoda was a surprise but I think he's the only 1/6 prequel Yoda? I don't know.

That's the thing, if they were going to do more in the line then I think we would have seen them by now. I can't see it happening.

That's the thing, if they were going to do more in the line then I think we would have seen them by now. I can't see it happening.

That's a shame if that's the case. You can get 4 of these guys for the price of one Hot Toys. Model kits are great for armored figures where you don't have to worry about detailed fabrics, headsculpts, and paint apps. If only they spent as much time promoting their 1/6 line as they do with their movie realization stuff.

True, but, if the line wasn't profitable for them then that's the way they had to go. There have been so many big shows and you would think they would have been promoting new 1/6 kits by now if there were any to promote. The ships have done the best for them, hence that flagship Falcon kit.

anybody know if the Hot Toys headsculpts (i.e. Han or Luke) will fit on this Bandai 1/6 scale stormtrooper model?

anybody know if the Hot Toys headsculpts (i.e. Han or Luke) will fit on this Bandai 1/6 scale stormtrooper model?

I don't think the head will fit directly onto the neck joint without some modification.
Go to the 7:37 minute mark in this video and Robo tries a knock off head on the Bandai 1/6 kit, it looks great but needs to be fixed onto the neck peg somehow:

I don't think so. And honestly, these guys are very out of scale. I wouldn't display them with my 1/6 collection. I regret my purchase of this kit for sure.

I don't think the head will fit directly onto the neck joint without some modification.
Go to the 7:37 minute mark in this video and Robo tries a knock off head on the Bandai 1/6 kit, it looks great but needs to be fixed onto the neck peg somehow:

Thanks for sharing that video. Looks pretty good in the brief appearance. Probably just needs to add some material to the peg to make it secure.

I don't think so. And honestly, these guys are very out of scale. I wouldn't display them with my 1/6 collection. I regret my purchase of this kit for sure.

I have mine displayed standing behind the right side of my Hot Toys Vader with the HT stormtrooper to its left. It blends in decently yet I'm sure to the discerning eye can tell the difference

Back