1/6 Bandai stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure on that one, all the ones I've seen have been on the right. That said, I'm sure someone said on a YouTube video that the Stormtroopers were left handed.

Looks like they were right:

Hmm, does the kit come with a left handed trigger hand!?

They were left handed because the metal E-11 magazine would hit the thin ABS armor if held in right hand. So ILM decided to have them hold these on the left hands, but you will see ANH Stormtroopers holding them in the right as well.

I see, well, Bandai provide an option for both, so I'm going left. I'm a leftie too! The kit actually arrived this morning, I didn't look out for it as I wasn't expecting it and my Dad found it on the doorstep when he came home. I'll post some unboxing pics when I have more time. I'll make a start on him tomorrow.

I'm interested to see one of these with a little bit of weathering, or at least wash/dry brushing. I bet it would make a big difference.

Mmmm, maybe, if I was doing a Sandtrooper or an Endor one, but, I'm just happy with the look as is really. I intend to paint and weather the weapons though.

I see, well, Bandai provide an option for both, so I'm going left. I'm a leftie too! The kit actually arrived this morning, I didn't look out for it as I wasn't expecting it and my Dad found it on the doorstep when he came home. I'll post some unboxing pics when I have more time. I'll make a start on him tomorrow.

Any pics yet?

Some, still in the camera though, I'll get round to a full shoot when it's done. I've finished the helmet, most of the torso and one leg. I'm taking my time over each bit, making sure that everything is right. I can say that I'm SO glad it's snap together, as I've had to take several parts apart again to correct errors. I would have been well up a creek if I'd glued it.

Here are some pics of mine:

It's a great kit and works best when it's not standing next to other figures. Assembly is pretty straightforward providing you follow the instructions. Well worth it.

Looks Great Rogerbee!
Mine is still on it's way, I'll expect it at the end of the month, but I'm in no rush, I have a couple of model kits to do before it arrives.

I read your post on OSW and saw that you were using a sprue cutter that ran into a little issue, my advise is to instead use a sharp hobby knife to remove the pieces and only use the sprue cutter higher up on the sprue away from the model piece. Then use the hobby knife to remove more of the nub and sand down the rest of the nub with a modeling sanding stick, they look like this:
View attachment 334816

Also, if you're applying any water-slide decals, it helps to have a slick surface underneath so having the area sprayed with a gloss clear coat then let it dry before applying the decals will help it into place. There's also a decal mounting fluid called Micro Sol that softens the decal so you can move and settle the decal into irregular areas. To fix the Decal in place you'll have to hit it with another clear coat once it dries. Whatever finish you chose to go with (matte, semigloss, gloss etc.) on the final clear coat will be the finish of the model, so having a gloss clear underneath will not make the model gloss if you then cover the model with a matte finish.

The sprue cutter was fine on all the other parts, they are meant to be used close to the parts as they don't leave nubs when they cut. It was just that the lenses were a bit fiddly to get to and I cut too close. In hindsight I could probably have used a scalpel on that bit. What you see as the main finish on the kit is in fact the kit plastic, it has a glossy finish already. The only bits I painted on the trooper were the blue buttons on the abdomen armour and the insides of the front knobs on the helmet. You could prime it and fully weather it if you so wished, but, I decided it was too much hassle and went for a Death Star look, with all the Imperial top brass around they would have kept themselves pristine.

The sprue cutter was fine on all the other parts, they are meant to be used close to the parts as they don't leave nubs when they cut. It was just that the lenses were a bit fiddly to get to and I cut too close. In hindsight I could probably have used a scalpel on that bit. What you see as the main finish on the kit is in fact the kit plastic, it has a glossy finish already. The only bits I painted on the trooper were the blue buttons on the abdomen armour and the insides of the front knobs on the helmet. You could prime it and fully weather it if you so wished, but, I decided it was too much hassle and went for a Death Star look, with all the Imperial top brass around they would have kept themselves pristine.
From my experiences the sprue cutter shouldn't be used right up against the model piece, The blades can pinch and tear out plastic from the piece despite trying to be extremely careful. Best to primarily use a sharp hobby knife (I use a narrowed bladed Dewalt box cutter) and sand down the nubs. I don't know if the 1/6 Stormtrooper kit comes with any decals, but Bandai kits do often come with a sticker and a water slide decal sheet, so my tip on the finish was to help apply the water slides.

Not an HT one, no, I'm hoping Bandai do one. HT only look good next to other HT.

As I have several HT Stormys, I'm thinking of customizing the Bandai kit to some sort of well worn, heavily weathered trooper so hopefully it can be display in the background of some HT troopers, but I'll make my final decisions once I have put the kit together completely.

There have been pics floating round of a Yoda. This year is the 40th Anniversary of ANH so I expect there will be a resurgence in OT stuff, so I don't think anything can be entirely ruled out.

Just stumbled on these. I have a Sideshow deluxe Vader and getting the ANH HT one. Did I read that these are too tall for that purpose?

Also, where did you get yours, Rogerbee? Looking for a good shipped to UK price.

Okay, thanks. I might grab them off ebay.

Just weighing up using them next to my Vaders or not.

I don't know- I've got a couple of cheap new Rogue One Hasbro troopers flanking behind Vader. Next to no articulation, but they do the job. Sure they are not HT, but at €25 each can't go wrong. Those guys are background characters. It's Vader who demands the attention.

I don't know- I've got a couple of cheap new Rogue One Hasbro troopers flanking behind Vader. Next to no articulation, but they do the job. Sure they are not HT, but at €25 each can't go wrong. Those guys are background characters. It's Vader who demands the attention.

That's all I want them for too. May have a look at those.

Back