Bandai Perfect Grade 1/72 《Star Wars》Millennium Falcon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google 'Bandai 1:1700 Star Destroyer' to have your mind blown.
It's still not officially 'dead' but it was shown off three years ago so no-one's really holding their breath just yet.

:lol....sigh. Damn.

That's looks as awesome as I expected any effort from them to look. And at a little over 3', that's just about the perfect size to be be large and impressive but not completely unwieldy. Apparently in a recent Q&A from someone, one of the higher ups at Bandai was cagey when asked about putting out a SD. I'll just hold out hope that someday it makes it out, and that at that point I can afford it. I'm guessing it would probably be at least 2x the cost of the Falcon here. That might be why its not been fast tracked.
In the mean time, I've got the Revell to practice with and get to understand the structure. It's not a bad kit (and limited- looks like mine is #41 of 2000). It'll help me tune up my skills in anticipation of it ever dropping now.

As much as I'm excited to get into these other kits, my mind right now is really racing with ideas for the backdrop/display. I was out yesterday picking up those supplies and hope to have pics of a 'proof of concept' mockup by this time next week. I've got some ideas that I'm extremely excited to see if/how I can pull off.
Just like with these model builds, there is a whole lot of planning ahead of assembly. I'm only about two steps into the TIE fighter and I already realize I want to approach this differently as far as paint. I started to wash the panel cross beams, but now I think I want to paint most of the ship a different shade of gray.

Off to the hobby store again today to pick up the right shade of paint.

Thanks for the reply. Space is an issue where I live now but should not be sometime down the line. I am far from a seasoned modeler but it's something I would eventually like to tackle and take my time with. Lots of YouTube vids and tutorials out there to learn from.

I have heard about the delays some folks like you had to endure, I would hope a complete kit would be complete. I believe I read somewhere that Deagostini omitted a few parts that were supposed to be included and also improved some parts like the cockpit that only some customers received. Do you know if this is true? Makes me wonder if the missing/improved parts in question would be included in the complete kits?

I started mine about a year ago and have gotten all the new cockpit parts so you should be fine there.
At the very end they are shipping out more greeblies for the hull and as far as I can tell everyone is getting them.

Google 'Bandai 1:1700 Star Destroyer' to have your mind blown.
It's still not officially 'dead' but it was shown off three years ago so no-one's really holding their breath just yet.

I have the Zvesda Destroyer, while not quite as insane as their proposed bandai it's still a great kit.

The Revell/Zvesda is a nice kit. 3D Falcon has some parts for it that I guess are more movie accurate. Those and the lights will run over another $200. The light system for me is a definite- but I don't know if I want to drop another $80 on elements like more detailed/ accurate exhausts and hanger bay. The after market elements do look better- but those are all things that the model Bandai displayed several years ago already seems to have right. I would regret throwing too much money into this should Bandai ever release theirs.

The Revell/Zvesda is a nice kit. 3D Falcon has some parts for it that I guess are more movie accurate. Those and the lights will run over another $200. The light system for me is a definite- but I don't know if I want to drop another $80 on elements like more detailed/ accurate exhausts and hanger bay. The after market elements do look better- but those are all things that the model Bandai displayed several years ago already seems to have right. I would regret throwing too much money into this should Bandai ever release theirs.

I got the kit for $100 and I got the light kit for $65 so for less then $200 imo it's a great kit.
If the price on the Falcon says anything Bandais Destroyer, shouldbit evwr actually be produced, is going to cost quite a bit more.

Falcon's here.

Box is smaller than the Star Destroyer, but 2.5 x as fat as it should be since it has something like 8 x as many parts. The SD looks like a cake walk now compared to this.

I didn't take a thorough inventory yet, but it look like something broke off the main top hull section. It's tiny and like a box with two sides removed. Can't see where it broke off, but it might be an interlocking or guide piece.

This is gonna be a project. :horror

I got the kit for $100 and I got the light kit for $65 so for less then $200 imo it's a great kit.
If the price on the Falcon says anything Bandai's Destroyer, shouldbit evwr actually be produced, is going to cost quite a bit more.

That's a good price. I paid $6 more shipped from Tower (w/ coupon). Would love to know where you got the light kit for $65.
And yeah I'm sure the Bandai, if it ever got made, would be closer to double the price of the Falcon- if not more.

I was tickled to get the MF from Gundam for ~$350 shipped. Just found out though that the hobby store I'm going to now is going to be getting them in and would honor one of their new member 25% off coupons on it. Even with tax I would have saved another $25. Oh well.

Just checked eBay and at least one seller has the light kit for $75 with free shipping.

I started mine about a year ago and have gotten all the new cockpit parts so you should be fine there.
At the very end they are shipping out more greeblies for the hull and as far as I can tell everyone is getting them.

I called Deago customer service to ask about the improved cockpit and omitted greeblies being in the full kit. The lady I talked to seemed to have no idea what I was talking about and said she had no information on the subject. I see why folks complain about their customer service, they don't seem to know anything about what they are selling.

Mine has been delivered.... now my biggest problem .. WHEN TO BUILD !?! :(

I see why folks complain about their customer service, they don't seem to know anything about what they are selling.

They probably farm out their call center to a telemarketing company. Those people have no product knowledge that isn't part of a script.

Version 2 of the 1:144 - Closer but not quite. I think I might break down and order some of the Archive-X paints that replicate the 1970's era Floquil paint colors.

UpVlPHRh.jpg

uPvznuyh.jpg

u6N0eNWh.jpg

rhJpOrMh.jpg

:dunno. Looks great to me, Kamandi. I'd be extremely happy if my kit comes out looking that well.

I really screwed that battle damage between the cockpit and upper mandible. I was being impatient and should've had my reference pictures out, but alas... It's just wrong.

I'll light it up and feel better. I've got a photoetch kit in the cockpit that should look decent once it's backlit.

Also felt better after taking another look at the EFX. God. People are going to pay almost 600 bucks for that. I should sell this one when I'm done with it as reference.

so wow.. I got this yesterday and I needed to open and see it... SO MANY PARTS :lol .. but its so crisp in detail.. fantastic... this will take a while to build for sure... but heck.. I kind of understand the price tag on this one...its really a piece of art

Very Nice paint Kamandi! :duff

I love seeing a good paintjob, I’m over here having trouble painting a simple grey rectangle on my Scout Armor :lol

Back