AVP2 Question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darthrazz

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally saw AVP2 this weekend, without giving away any spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, what was the deal with the way that the Predalien was "reproducing''? Was that a combination of Alien and Predator reproductive functions? I was a bit confused by this, it seems that something "new" regarding the Aliens is introduced in all these films that deviates from what we "knew". Was the predalien a Queen?

It also looks like we finally see an Alien "eating".

Yes, the predalien is a queen.
As for where that particular reproductive trait came from, who knows? It would have to be something inherited from the preds, because otherwise it would not make any sense, there were, after all, more aliens around, and the queen could have just settled on building a cozy hive.
The other reproductive method, as seen in Scott's D.C. of Alien, is to cocoon victims and turn them into eggs in the absence of more eggs to make a hive viable.
But... it doesn't make much sense to me that the alien would adopt a reproductive trait from the preds, that would screw up the whole way the species functions. I mean, we're talking about sidestepping a complete cycle of their reproduction (eggs and facehuggers)!

I didn't necessarily like the "eating" bit, again, it just makes the aliens so pedestrian... it was so much more fun to not know what the hell the creatures needed to grow so much and so fast.

As for where that particular reproductive trait came from, who knows? It would have to be something inherited from the preds, because otherwise it would not make any sense, there were, after all, more aliens around, and the queen could have just settled on building a cozy hive.
The other reproductive method, as seen in Scott's D.C. of Alien, is to cocoon victims and turn them into eggs in the absence of more eggs to make a hive viable.
But... it doesn't make much sense to me that the alien would adopt a reproductive trait from the preds, that would screw up the whole way the species functions. I mean, we're talking about sidestepping a complete cycle of their reproduction (eggs and facehuggers)!

I didn't necessarily like the "eating" bit, again, it just makes the aliens so pedestrian... it was so much more fun to not know what the hell the creatures needed to grow so much and so fast.

I was upset with the eating thing as well. There was blood splashing around and the Aliens seemed to "messy". What I mean is that in the original ALIEN, there was no blood, I think that there even was a line in the film that no blood or body was found. I think not knowing was scarier than actually seeing what happened. In particular the scene by the pool where the Alien dragged the body leaving the blood trail comes to mind.

What I mean is that in the original ALIEN, there was no blood, I think that there even was a line in the film that no blood or body was found. .
Parker said that about Dallas when he disappered in the vent shaft - the alien didn't kill him, it grabbed him for cocooning hence no blood.

The runner did feed on it's victims - I think you need to watch both those films again.

The Predalien makes no sense at all. It was merely bad writing on the part of Shane Salerno who should never have been let near the project. They cant possibley back any of this up and so very much doubt we'll ever see the return of the Prealien in future sequels.

Parker said that about Dallas when he disappered in the vent shaft - the alien didn't kill him, it grabbed him for cocooning hence no blood.

The runner did feed on it's victims - I think you need to watch both those films again.

It has been a long time since I've seen any of them, I think it's time to watch them again!

It was more like nibbling rather than eating in Alien 3. Watch the bit just before they start the piston and after Morse (Danny Webb) and the other prisoner run into eachother knocking themselves down ("Stupid wanker! Scared me ++++less!"). The alien then suddenly attacks outta nowhere and Ripley then comes and pulls Morse away from the Alien who is feeding on the other prisoner.

I always felt that more than eating, it was mauling them. But not really eating them.

yes, i too, i'd like to think that is more for another existent reason beside for feed , i have never think aliens really need to feed...at least how we think it's to feed
it's more interesting, and double or multiple tongue-biting is far away to actually eat something

the predalien rep.cycle really dont count to me, everytime i will see this scene in future i will think at something else that has nothing to do whit the film during that scene, cause i like avp2 more than i've think before see it, and for not ruin the film simply i will ignore all that ridicolous trick

It's easier to just look at AvP as a completely different franchise and not let it cloud our love of the original franchises...

From bits posted by the Strauses, I understand the idea is that the 'ovipositor' demonstrated by the PredAlien is a standard ability of an immature queen, allowing the Aliens to rapidly increase their numbers when initially establishing a colony. The problem is, this seems so much more efficient than the egg-based method (even allowing for the 'fast grower' piece which is unique to the AVP Aliens) that it makes the whole Queen / Egg Sac piece seem redundant. The only logic I can come up with is that an immature queen has a limited number of embryos to work with and, once this is exhausted, lacks the 'plumbing' to produce any more.

It looks like the only merit of Predator biology here is that the mandibles made it easier to hang on to a victim's face...

Don't know if thi s has been asked, but what is the lifespan of the Alien Eggs? Also what are the lifespans of Facehuggers who do not get to "impregnate" anything?

Don't know if thi s has been asked, but what is the lifespan of the Alien Eggs? Also what are the lifespans of Facehuggers who do not get to "impregnate" anything?

I'm guessing that the eggs can last a very very long time. In "Alien" the eggs were implied to have been sitting there for god knows how long until Kane ran into the picture. The eggs are probably able to lay dormant conserving its energy until it senses a suitable host and reactivates.
No clue regarding the facehugger question though....

Back