Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree with most on here 3D is a gimmick which was a neat experience in the theaters but I have no desire to spend the extra cash on a TV just to experience it at home. Avatar in Blu-Ray without any of the extra bells and whistles will be fine. If there is a "better" release then I just wait for that.

I have to agree with most on here 3D is a gimmick which was a neat experience in the theaters but I have no desire to spend the extra cash on a TV just to experience it at home. Avatar in Blu-Ray without any of the extra bells and whistles will be fine. If there is a "better" release then I just wait for that.

that's what I did with watchmen, I waited for the ultimate cut & bought that

No, not what he said, unless they're going to do something completely new with Avatar already.

Your polarizing glasses won't work without new equipment - that's what all the hubbalub is about these days. Televisions are already on the market that are 3-D 'enabled' that can work with the polarizing technology, but I haven't seen a blu player yet. Won't be long though.

What JJ is talking about isn't any where near ready for release. I'd actually be quite surprised if Avatar is even released for the polarizing glasses style equipment, and I'd bet that they'd have it in the old red/blue style just like they did with Coraline and Monsters Vs Aliens. They might try going higher tech with this release knowing that over the next couple years more folks will actually end up with 3-D capablitiy (pretty much every tv from here out will have it built in - again, the technology to use the polarizing glasses), but it would be surprising, since a lot of folks would be pissed that they'd bought it but couldn't use it yet.

So yea, I'm betting this is still just red/blue or perhaps THREE versions of the movie - regular 2-D, red/blue 3-D and polarized 3-D. Anyone see any actual specs on the November release?

EDIT - one article is claiming they'll use the new 'standard' 3-D blu-ray format, which is explained here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3924

Sounds to me like it will work with polarizing glasses, since that's the direction most everyone is going right now. Perhaps the XpanD technology is just an improvement on that when it comes to the glasses themselves? If that's the case, then you could pony up the extra bucks for the Sony glasses and get a brighter experience...but if the techonology is Sony proprietary in the TV and blu-ray player, I don't think it will fly.

Actually, reading through the spec carefully, it looks like the agnostic approach means that the blu-ray disc itself could provide 3-D to you with different technologies, persuant to the other hardware. For example, if Sony requires a Sony tv to work with the Sony glasses, that would work. But if you had a Samsung that worked with polarizing glasses, the same 3-D blu-ray disc would work as well.

I don't think you understand the technology

A 3D Blu-Ray release would have two video streams, for each eye. The Blu-Ray player would then choose which way to display it, and it could be any method, but the new 3D TV's use Shutter Glasses where the two video streams are alternating together and the glasses wirelessly link to the TV and block (shutter) each eye so that one eye only sees the image that's meant for it (which is why the glasses are so expensive).

The reason you need a new Blu-Ray player is that playing two 1080p video streams requires more power that most players simply wouldn't be able to handle with a firmware update.

I have not even see nthe movie yet. I could not care less about 3D so I'll pick up the "bare bones" and it will be the only version I buy.

I guess i can deal with this, James Camerons Special Edition DVDs are always pretty sweet, Terminator 2, Aliens..I hope theres some kind of AVATR box Set with the Special Edition, i think he says theres like 10-15 min of bonus footage.

My local news had a segment about ILM and showed the process that Cameron used to film it from his actors in the suits that included faux tales and dreads and how he changed the environments and landscapes using their tech. It was really interesting and its one thing that I'm really looking forward to the behind the scenes footage on this DVD.

I'll only get it the first time around if there's some nifty freebie or something with it. Otherwise I'll wait for the 3D or extended version.

My local news had a segment about ILM and showed the process that Cameron used to film it from his actors in the suits that included faux tales and dreads and how he changed the environments and landscapes using their tech. It was really interesting and its one thing that I'm really looking forward to the behind the scenes footage on this DVD.

That's weird, since ILM didn't do any work on Avatar

I will have this movie the second is out.
I hope it will have full digital 3d but I dont think it will.

Let's all hope.

so pumped for the OSCARS.

Of course it'll be fully digital, that's the only way to do it. But I read on comingsoon.net that they don't think they'll have the 3D Blu-Ray standard by the November when Cameron was planning on releasing it on 3D so it'll probably be next year then.

How sad for you, anyway i cant wait but i think i will wait for the extended edition, they should just relese the damn thing altogether.

3D=lame fad.

Failed once before, will fail again.

Cameron would disagree with you...and his 2 billion bucks. ;)

I love 3D. It makes movies fun again. Sometimes.

I mean, if the movie could benefit from being in 3D, it should be in 3D. I dont want to see Wall Street 2 in 3D....

Back