Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double dip = not cool.

November for the 3D Blu-ray with more stuff. At least we get a heads up the first release will be "bare bones."

I wonder if the 3D blu will have the option to switch between the 3D and the regular version as well.

I wonder if the 3D blu will have the option to switch between the 3D and the regular version as well.

It has to. There is no way people are going to buy a movie that HAS to be seen in 3D. I think the more important question should be will the first "bare bones" release have any 3D capabilities.

I don't care much about the 3D. All I want to know is if a longer cut will be released. I'm always a fan of 'extended editions'! :rock

Your 3D glasses will NOT work for home viewing. Neither will your TV. You will need to buy a new 3D-enabled TV set. I'm not even sure they're out yet but be prepared to pay 3-5 grand later this year for a 42" to 50" model. So start cancelling those Sideshow pre-orders now and save up. You can see a demo of Sony's 3D TV at Sony Style stores. I checked it out here in King of Prussia, PA and liked it a lot. I have no doubt Avatar would look amazing on it, but they don't have very impressive demo material yet, just some sports, nature shows and very cheesy-looking video games.

They are actually using a very expensive pair of electronic "shutter" glasses that the guy said would cost $500 to buy an extra pair. They worked great though, with absolutely no dimming of the picture like most of the theatrical 3D formats have. I can see why they went with this format because having the original brightness makes a big difference, making the image seem more vivid, lifelike and detailed. The glasses were pretty big too and fit over my normal glasses much better than theatrical glasses.

If you go to any theaters using the XpanD format they also use the expensive electronic "shutter" glasses (and you CAN'T keep them). There are only about 30 public theaters in the U.S. in XpanD, with others installed for private companies, so chances are you haven't been to one.

Scroll down to see the XpanD list:
https://www.xpandcinema.com/world-map/

No, not what he said, unless they're going to do something completely new with Avatar already.

Your polarizing glasses won't work without new equipment - that's what all the hubbalub is about these days. Televisions are already on the market that are 3-D 'enabled' that can work with the polarizing technology, but I haven't seen a blu player yet. Won't be long though.

What JJ is talking about isn't any where near ready for release. I'd actually be quite surprised if Avatar is even released for the polarizing glasses style equipment, and I'd bet that they'd have it in the old red/blue style just like they did with Coraline and Monsters Vs Aliens. They might try going higher tech with this release knowing that over the next couple years more folks will actually end up with 3-D capablitiy (pretty much every tv from here out will have it built in - again, the technology to use the polarizing glasses), but it would be surprising, since a lot of folks would be pissed that they'd bought it but couldn't use it yet.

So yea, I'm betting this is still just red/blue or perhaps THREE versions of the movie - regular 2-D, red/blue 3-D and polarized 3-D. Anyone see any actual specs on the November release?

EDIT - one article is claiming they'll use the new 'standard' 3-D blu-ray format, which is explained here:

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=3924

Sounds to me like it will work with polarizing glasses, since that's the direction most everyone is going right now. Perhaps the XpanD technology is just an improvement on that when it comes to the glasses themselves? If that's the case, then you could pony up the extra bucks for the Sony glasses and get a brighter experience...but if the techonology is Sony proprietary in the TV and blu-ray player, I don't think it will fly.

Actually, reading through the spec carefully, it looks like the agnostic approach means that the blu-ray disc itself could provide 3-D to you with different technologies, persuant to the other hardware. For example, if Sony requires a Sony tv to work with the Sony glasses, that would work. But if you had a Samsung that worked with polarizing glasses, the same 3-D blu-ray disc would work as well.

Last edited:
Cameron you are a film making legend, no doubt about that but talk about milking a product that isn't even out yet. Give some respect to the consumers wallet you b****** !!! I loved Avatar, I loved how you spent so much time, money and love into this film and you got ur rewards from the box office records. Now you wanna rip people off by forcing them to double dip not only on dvd/bluray copies of the film but double dip on a bluray player and TV to watch it in 3D. Okay I understand that If you don't want to watch the film in 3D then don't buy the kit for it, but for people who want a blu ray copy that isnt just "bare bones" have to wait and buy a 3D version which better have, and I think will have, the 2D version as well. God I hate it when they make you wait for something that should of been in peoples hands in the first instance. Good example includes Watchmen. Directors Cut first, then Ultimate Edition, both films that have different cuts all together. In the end your forcing people to double dip so they can watch the different cuts. Man this is why sometimes I resort to downloading a HD copy of the film. I aint double dipping for you Cameron. You should bring out the 3D version as a bare bones copy. People who have a 3D capable TV and 3D capable Blu Ray player are the only ones buying your 3D copy of Avatar, and that sir won't be a big percentage of the consumers, even if its still to release in November !!! How long did it take for the public to convert from normal 480 TV's to 1080p Flatscreens??? Some people don't even have them or know why its worth having one yet. He keeps saying, yeah people are ready for 3D TV. Yeah if your ****ing rich you prick !!! Seriously Cameron, get your s*** together and release the complete version on bluray/dvd, then you can go and release your 3D version, which people will start watching in a couple of years !!

Last edited:
:lol:lol:lol:lol

You would think that he is holding a gun to your head and telling you that you MUST buy it.

Like I said, you don't need to go out and buy the 3d version but hes making you buy the 3D version if you want all the special features and such. So no its not that bad but when you force people to choose which copy they want then its just plain wrong. Why should people have to buy 2 copies of his film just to watch the extras. This film is a technological marvel and people will wanna know how it was done by watching the features, he knows that people wanna watch the features and thats why hes making people double dip for it.

Your 3D glasses will NOT work for home viewing. Neither will your TV. You will need to buy a new 3D-enabled TV set. I'm not even sure they're out yet but be prepared to pay 3-5 grand later this year for a 42" to 50" model. So start cancelling those Sideshow pre-orders now and save up. You can see a demo of Sony's 3D TV at Sony Style stores. I checked it out here in King of Prussia, PA and liked it a lot. I have no doubt Avatar would look amazing on it, but they don't have very impressive demo material yet, just some sports, nature shows and very cheesy-looking video games.

They are actually using a very expensive pair of electronic "shutter" glasses that the guy said would cost $500 to buy an extra pair. They worked great though, with absolutely no dimming of the picture like most of the theatrical 3D formats have. I can see why they went with this format because having the original brightness makes a big difference, making the image seem more vivid, lifelike and detailed. The glasses were pretty big too and fit over my normal glasses much better than theatrical glasses.

If you go to any theaters using the XpanD format they also use the expensive electronic "shutter" glasses (and you CAN'T keep them). There are only about 30 public theaters in the U.S. in XpanD, with others installed for private companies, so chances are you haven't been to one.

One of my local theatres is on that list and I can't believe which one it is. It is one of the older movie theatres in town. They aren't even showing Avatar right now.:lol:lol:lol

The Avatar release in no way will influence me to spend out that kind of money for a tv. 3D is not that important.

3D=lame fad.

Failed once before, will fail again.

I like seeing movies in 3D at the theater... but don't really want to sit with dumbass glasses on my face at home :lol

And so far, any time I've tried the Red/Blue in HiDef it actually seems a bit less 3D because the picture is no longer as good as if I was just watching it :lol

I guess if you could just have the clear glasses work that would be cool, but doesn't sound like that's the case.

Gotta agree with you GB. 3D is a fun gimmick for the theater but I would rather get a bigger television and enjoy the beauty of BD than dishing out cash for a smaller 3D television.

Back