Asmus Toys - Thranduil

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as we have discussed....
Dain is out for sure
Bilbo and Thorin are still in,
Azog may swing either way, but Bolg is out too...

A sad day for The Hobbit...

That's too bad, I would have liked a Radagast to go with the other wizards.

I think if people had more faith that the sculpting would actually look like the characters, the Hobbit line may fair better. Shame.

True. Companies like HT may have portrait misfires time to time, but they have pumped out lots of stellar likenesses. Just relieved there will be a Bilbo and Thorin - I wish Dwalin, Fili, Kili, at least too, and IMO it would be a mistake to NOT do Azog, considering both Bilbo and especially Thorin face off with this character.

I am down for Elves from any film. I also really need a Dwarf or two to round out the other heroic species a bit. Gimli and Thorin would be definitely buys unless something unexpected happens to the sculpts.

I am more interested in a Gollum than Hobbits personally and I absolutely love Orcs so more of those too please.

They can't give away Bard and Tauriel at this point - I assume that's the reason why, the Hobbit source material. And heck, Bard is actually a cool figure at that. Considering that from my understanding, they will still stock future LotR figs, it's the only reason I can see why they won't.

I'm surprised The Hobbit gets so little support. I'm in the minority that prefers them to LoR. Sorry. I would be buying these figures if the likenesses were more screen accurate. Really a shame.

I'm surprised The Hobbit gets so little support. I'm in the minority that prefers them to LoR. Sorry. I would be buying these figures if the likenesses were more screen accurate. Really a shame.

Me too. Great characters and performances. Hope to put more in the Bard thread, just got Bard today, but I am really beginning to think photos just don't do justice to Asmus, somehow. Loved GtG and Bard is BEAUTIFUL. If Thranduil is that good will be one happy collector.

I think the Hobbit series are unfairly maligned. They are not as good as LOTR but you are taking a very short book and stretching that into three films which I felt was excessive and then there are a number of story and character modifications as well that book fans have a right to be miffed about but the movies in and of themselves are still awesome just because we are immersed in Tolkien's world. I love Orcs and Elves and Dragons so I was pretty content with the films overall. Parts of them are a bit silly like the barrels in the river video game scene and Tauriel's romance but I forgive those parts. Thranduil was great in the movies, really brought a haughty Elven immortal king to life and that Stagg was so awesome.

I think the Hobbit series are unfairly maligned. They are not as good as LOTR but you are taking a very short book and stretching that into three films which I felt was excessive and then there are a number of story and character modifications as well that book fans have a right to be miffed about but the movies in and of themselves are still awesome just because we are immersed in Tolkien's world. I love Orcs and Elves and Dragons so I was pretty content with the films overall. Parts of them are a bit silly like the barrels in the river video game scene and Tauriel's romance but I forgive those parts. Thranduil was great in the movies, really brought a haughty Elven immortal king to life and that Stagg was so awesome.

I can agree with this. My youngest son and I watched all these in the theaters; it was our thing and we were sad to have them end. I was deployed when LotR was released so I kind of missed the boat there, never felt as into them. I really prefer Bilbo to Frodo in the films (Frodo's whining gets tiresome) and the overall lighter feel of the Hobbit was welcome. Plus, no Liev Tyler. ;) I forgave Tauriel as a character because it helped flesh out another dwarf and it put Legolas in an interesting light; and I prefer Legolas in the Hobbit because he was so hard-assed.

Always thought the Hobbit movies were a lot of fun, weird others are torqued by them.

As for the figures I never felt The Hobbit was given its due. Of course I have no idea why some figures sell like hotcakes compared to others. An accurate Bilbo and Thorin would be hard to pass up. Glad others liked and bought GtG. I preferred the initial sculpt they showed as compared to what was actually released, so I passed. As for Thranduil, his movie look was great and loved what they did with him. The sculpt on this face is too wide and is off-putting; so probably not buying him either.

Maybe one day another company will take a swing. :impatient::wink1:

The Hobbit, The LotR and Tolkien in general are timeless lore so you can only hope other companies will pick up the 1/6 gauntlet at some point in the future when Asmus is done with it. The movies helped propel this license into the pop-culture limelight and almost all collectibles out today are based on those movies. With them being done, I'm doubting anyone will do it in the next decade (or two even) so this may be it for some time, and maybe ever in the 1/6 figure scale.

I give kudos to Asmus for going after this line and giving us collectors the opportunity to own these but yes, most of the facial likenesses (specifically the human and human-esque faces) are not on par with what can be done right now. It's unfortunate but some of us are living with it. Ultimately you have to decide if you love these characters enough look past some of the likeness issues and obviously some of us have.

True. If people keep buying it's only going to be good for all fans and collectors.

I can agree with this. My youngest son and I watched all these in the theaters; it was our thing and we were sad to have them end. I was deployed when LotR was released so I kind of missed the boat there, never felt as into them. I really prefer Bilbo to Frodo in the films (Frodo's whining gets tiresome) and the overall lighter feel of the Hobbit was welcome. Plus, no Liev Tyler. ;) I forgave Tauriel as a character because it helped flesh out another dwarf and it put Legolas in an interesting light; and I prefer Legolas in the Hobbit because he was so hard-assed.

Always thought the Hobbit movies were a lot of fun, weird others are torqued by them.

Ditto.

The Hobbit, The LotR and Tolkien in general are timeless lore so you can only hope other companies will pick up the 1/6 gauntlet at some point in the future when Asmus is done with it. The movies helped propel this license into the pop-culture limelight and almost all collectibles out today are based on those movies. With them being done, I'm doubting anyone will do it in the next decade (or two even) so this may be it for some time, and maybe ever in the 1/6 figure scale.

I give kudos to Asmus for going after this line and giving us collectors the opportunity to own these but yes, most of the facial likenesses (specifically the human and human-esque faces) are not on par with what can be done right now. It's unfortunate but some of us are living with it. Ultimately you have to decide if you love these characters enough look past some of the likeness issues and obviously some of us have.

Interesting. I'd say I'd be one of the first in line to get picky re costumes and face, esp. w. action figures vs. poly - poly, re the media itself, IMO doesn't easily lend itself to razor-sharp likenesses at 1:6 scale. It can get very good, like w. WETA's Faramir, but never seems to be like HT vinyl.

But then I get Bard yesterday, and I'd say he's at 95-97% likeness:love, and the fig just for me totally nails the essence of the character, even the expression. Was thinking yesterday re the care w. the scale of the fabrics, the quality of the costume and accessories, and the IMO gorgeous paint job that I'd put Bard on par w. Hot Toys, for this fig, at least in face/costume.

Or, IMO so many changes were made to HT's Finn sculpt I was glad I checked in-hand images and passed on Finn:(. Re that fig, the awesome HT to me lost the character w. the production sculpt. Yet often folks seem to tolerate HT for a lot of stuff, but seem harder on ASMUS. ASMUS has had some issues, IMO, like the "squished" GtW and body issues. But IMO ASMUS is coming along and if Thranduil is as good as Bard I'll be wishing I ordered two figs.

Released in one week! Weeeeee!

FB_IMG_1484569591088.jpg

Awesome!

Now start announcing some more Lord of the Rings or Hobbit figures!!! We know Gimli, Legolas, Boromir and Uruk Hai are all at some point in development but no new preorders yet. :(

Great News!! Hopefully he'll turn out as good as the prototype.

It would be great if they could finish up the Fellowship before the end of the year.

Back