Asmus Toys Skully/Guritz

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all !
Guritz arrived yesterday at home, so here are my photos and my opinion on this figure. May this helps you to make a choice in buying it or not, if it's not already done.
Concerning the "brand new" figure, I will only show you three pictures, since you already know what is inside the box thanks to other reviews.

First the torso with elbow joints:
IMG_1770.JPG
Nothing special, pajama is very pink, the weathering on the vest is ok, leather bands are a bit shiny, and my left elbow joint was completely loose.

Then a piece of armor. I wanted to show the efforts concerning the painting, that even shows marks of oxidation (blue paint). Great paint job in my opinion.
IMG_1771.JPG

And last the head, because all the heads are a bit different. Mine is great, close to the prototype, like all the Guritz heads we've seen. Not 100% movie accurate, but not a problem for me. On the other hand, I find the sculpt of the helmet skull is a bit weak, and the paint on this skull is very weak...
IMG_1773.JPG

So in the box we have a Guritz that wears brand new clothes, with shiny leathers that do not match with the classic "made in Mordor" appearance.
So let's begin a few custom work !
All the leather parts were weathered with sandpaper to break the shine and give a "used" appearance. The pajama received a wash with a "medium oak" wood stain. The knees, elbows, armpits, wrists, ankles, and bottom were dyed with a mixture of the previous stain and black ink. The skull was dry brushed with a bit of "rotten flesh" and "bleached bone". (Old game workshop paints...) Blood was added on Guritz's face, more or less like we can see him in the movie... And the whole figure finally was dry brushed with bleach bone, and received some more wash with the dark mixture.

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1782.JPG

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1798.JPG

IMG_1799.JPG

Note that I had to make a hole in the pajama in order to put some super glue on the left elbow to make it stand...
IMG_1802.JPG

In conclusion I'm very satisfied with this figure, Asmus made a great job at a very reasonable price. And above all I really like the fact that you have to customize the figure to make it look good (or, make it look like you wish...). Asmus gives us a very good base, and then we can all have a different, unique figure. It adds a lot of fun, and it is easy because it's an Orc: you can't spoilt it ! (should be less fun and a bit more difficult with Gandalf the White...)
Congrats Asmus, good job on this one !
:)

Thanks ! :)
Yes, I tried to reproduce the picture you show, but he never wanted to hold his weapon only with the left hand.

In conclusion I'm very satisfied with this figure, Asmus made a great job at a very reasonable price. And above all I really like the fact that you have to customize the figure to make it look good (or, make it look like you wish...). Asmus gives us a very good base, and then we can all have a different, unique figure. It adds a lot of fun, and it is easy because it's an Orc: you can't spoilt it ! (should be less fun and a bit more difficult with Gandalf the White...)
Congrats Asmus, good job on this one !

I totally agree with that...and the same was for Gothmog. I like the base but I love to customize it! I'll be on Guritz this weekend...

And here's my take on ol' skully.
Mods are always the same: toned down the pink, highlighted the armor, some dirt all around. Luckily my Guritz joints holds the poses easily.
grtz1_zps64e41153.jpg

I also went with the screen accurate blue eyes (replacing the yellow factory ones) and dirty but white skull.
grtz2_zpsf7748887.jpg

Great work on this one !! Your paint job with the skull is much better than mine, I should give it a new try. Your collar also poses better, I had some trouble with mine, it looks smaller.

Thank you. The skull should have some rotting black meat attached but I'm not confident on sculpting it. A paintjob would be enough. For the collar you can pull it up around the sculpted neck with the elastic band...

I'm considering buying Guritz here, O bought the Morgul Lord and love him, is Guritz as good? I hate spending almost 200 on a figure that might be sub par.

Can anybody explain why these figures seem to be released in dribs and drabs with people getting them little by little? I ordered mine from Alter Ego and have been told twice by them that it is still on pre-order. At the same time lots of folks here have the item in hand.

Anybody have an explanation for this and should I worry about a different source for Skully?

It might have to deal with what supplier they are getting it from over there.

I do not know how Asmus is running distribution but if some of the stores in the States are getting them from distributors and not directly from Asmus that might account for some of the delay. So far for WK, Gothmog, Gurtiz and Gandalf it seems that the dates of arrival have varied from store to store.

I know I have waffled on bbts with how long it has taken to get this in but they still got their order in and now its all good for me.

Can anybody explain why these figures seem to be released in dribs and drabs with people getting them little by little? I ordered mine from Alter Ego and have been told twice by them that it is still on pre-order. At the same time lots of folks here have the item in hand.

Anybody have an explanation for this and should I worry about a different source for Skully?

It's not like Sideshow where they are able to ship all at once. The various dealers around the country/world will get them at different times, even if every shipment is coming from a single load from China.

My Guritz's right leg split in two when I tried to bend his knee a little. Fortunately, it was an easy fix with a little super glue and...you guessed it...electric tape.

Hey guys, quick question. I pre-ordered Skully back in april on ebay and still haven't gotten him yet. Anyone else have this problem or is the Ebay seller ripping me off?

Back