Asmus Toys : Lord of the Ring : Gothmog

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a Gothmog fan and not trying to knock Asmus especially with just that photo to go off of, but the nostrils look wrong too and of course the lips/mouth, hope Im wrong because love the Witch King and want all these to do good but like I said that is hardly the photo to really base judgements off of.

Looks good...hope the production samples compare! The only nit would be the kinda weird open lips with teeth showing, but closed mouth...looks sort of cat-like.

He always sort of had his lips OVER his teeth:
GOTHMOG_of_M.M..jpg

instead of 'behind' them:
Gothmog_Tease3.jpg

His face does change depending on expression but we'll have to see on the reveal. To me, the chin looks more off. But hey, this sculpt is an inch tall in real life. Finger's crossed, finger's crossed... :pray:

rotkd1-007646.jpg

If the rest of it looks as good - I am in for this one also. Looking forward to a Uruk at some point in the near future. Also an elven warrior from the Last Alliance battle.

Hope they do the full reveal soon. The pessimist in me is starting to rear its ugly head. The responses to the Witchking thread versus this one is kind of troubling.

ETA I agree that the nostrils are wrong on the little pic that is shown.

Hope they do the full reveal soon. The pessimist in me is starting to rear its ugly head. The responses to the Witchking thread versus this one is kind of troubling.

ETA I agree that the nostrils are wrong on the little pic that is shown.

Nostrils and whole mouth/teeth area are done totally wrong with teeth bulging out. The sculptor's approach kind of made Gothmog's features more human looking instead of what the character actually looks like.

Gothmog's nose to mouth is spaced quite far apart, sculptor spaced the nose to mouth with human proportions and made the nose straight. If you look at the photo below it's crooked and looks nothing like a human nose. Bottom lip is actually larger with four triangle shaped markings. Sculptor again made the lower lip (and chin) human like.

I guess they didn't have the Sideshow Gothmog on Warg statue to copy the sculpt from like they did with the Witch King, it would of helped this figure since that head sculpt was pretty good.

Gothmog_Tease3.jpg

gothmog-lieutenant-of-morgul.png

Last edited:
The nose needs to be a bit flatter and the gums of the mouth need to come out a bit more. That's it as far as facial features go but they do need to also tone down the slime look. He was never that slimy.

Only because Asmus has fewer figures out. As far as ratios go...this is much worse, so far.

Not even close. :lol If you really think a couple of people mentioning the mouth area needs to be tweaked is worse it might be time to walk away from the Internet. Besides weren't you tossing in the towel if the mace on the Morgul Lord was attached to one of the left hands? :lol

Yeah...I think the mouth area needs to be re-worked...but, in general, the figure looks pretty darn good!

Well...Asmus said they are keenly interested in collector opinions and the like...so hopefully they can see that the LOTR collectors are a serious bunch...not overly obnoxious...but also constructive in their criticisms.

I'd prefer screen accuracy, of course, but it's not a deal-breaker for me if the features on this guy aren't 100% perfect. (The guy's face is a lump of bread dough, so it's fine with me as long as he's in the ballpark.)

The human likenesses, on the other hand, I'll be a lot more picky about.

If they're shooting to release this in September, though, is that enough time to make changes to the sculpt, even if they wanted to?

I hope the early criticisms don't hold the reveal up. Let's see the whole figure in context.
Ya know I was thinking that what if the early crits were keeping this thing from being revealed
Well...Asmus said they are keenly interested in collector opinions and the like...so hopefully they can see that the LOTR collectors are a serious bunch...not overly obnoxious...but also constructive in their criticisms.

Like the Nolan Batfreaks

:chase

Back