Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah... These newer pics, even if futzed, are looking MUCH better.

Mine hasn't reached the States yet, unfortunately.

When the futzing material for the hair is wax, am I correct in assuming that it's moustache wax that is being utilized?

This is the picture he put up of what he used

Has anyone down a water treatment on the robes yet? I'm curious if it's possible to get them to hang straight down with all of those folds it had, like how it appeared on screen. So far in all the pics the robe has been looking pretty flat in front...

IMG_20210306_140445~01.jpg

Really, for none of my 7 preorders from Hot Toys I am as much excited as for this one.

Hot toys have not got me excited for a very long time. Other companies and even 3rd party get me more excited if i'm honest. Picked up the IM diecast Mk47 last week, and yes its a nice piece, there's just no wow factor with their stuff for me anymore.

Really, for none of my 7 preorders from Hot Toys I am as much excited as for this one.
For the most part Hot Toys is usually nailing it. They've got a standard that when you buy it you know you're gonna get the same experience each time.

This though, this is new. This is a very unique event in the hobby.

For the most part Hot Toys is usually nailing it. They've got a standard that when you buy it you know you're gonna get the same experience each time.

This though, this is new. This is a very unique event in the hobby.

Yeah. Hot Toys is still at the top of the game. But this is something special.

Damn ! Well done Universal Key.

Now the in hand pics are coming this figure is getting more and more impressive every day !

Thanks! He really is a nice piece.

Has anyone down a water treatment on the robes yet? I'm curious if it's possible to get them to hang straight down with all of those folds it had, like how it appeared on screen. So far in all the pics the robe has been looking pretty flat in front...

I agree the robes might look better with a water treatment applied to them. I'm sure someone with better skills than I have will do that soon and inspire the rest of us to take the plunge.

The beard hair for the figure I received isn't naturally curly, unfortunately. :( I guess I'll eventually try my hand at styling it.

For the beard, Keyboard Warriors mentions using a clean toothbrush to comb the hair, and using water per the instructions. (Not that they did a good job, tbf. His hair looks pretty rough in their video review. Although I'd imagine they were just eager to get a video out versus futzing with it first.)

The instructions warn against pulling on the hair so I'm anxious about using anything but my fingertips to shape it, honestly.

Anyway, I'm waiting for a competent looking DIY instruction video from a collector to show me how to get those beard curls.

IMG_1473.jpg

Although honestly, looking at the films again Gandalf's beard hair is typically pretty straight and at times even frizzy, whereas his hair has the curls. But even so, adding some curl to the beard does look great.

I have to agree, looking at tons of images before i futz.
the beard is very frizzy and only the hair is curly.
11c54d7b1d8f175049be3298288cfbc38b67cccb_00.jpggandalf_bluehat_nohorse.jpg

Not sure how many saw my post early on, but the beard on mine got real wavy after just running water on it. Didn't expect it to do that and wasn't trying for that effect, but that's what happened. I would try just doing that before using any product, especially if you are worried. Now as per many of the comments, the beard seems straight or frizzy in the movies and the hair is wavy so I may be reversing mine when I have the chance.

Didn't see it posted here yet, but I noticed that someone on FB got the hat looking pretty good on him. And this was how he described the process:

"Popped out the guts. Soaked in hot water. Shoved a medicine cup inside and let it dry."

158100067_1177648212691428_9082165242432640926_o.jpg

158420870_1177648182691431_7940781199867007455_o.jpg
by Stephen Percha

Didn't see it posted here yet, but I noticed that someone on FB got the hat looking pretty good on him. And this was how he described the process:

"Popped out the guts. Soaked in hot water. Shoved a medicine cup inside and let it dry."

Excellent. I figured something like that would be needed if the magnet was removed. Just a bigger diameter to fit over the head better without magnet.

The beard may not be as curly on screen but it certainly helps bring the figure to life more.

I think the bigger key is just shaping the beard right so it hangs narrower and doesn't flare out so much. It might require a touch of hairspray or something.
Yeah it feels like folks are confusing his hair with his beard as far as how it all poofs out. His hair wraps around and down, beard tapers forward. The difference is a big deal.

Back