Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's lots of brilliant shots and advice for the hair on here thank you.

I was close to cancelling my preorder after I saw some videos on youtube. I was really expecting close to prototype quality with it being a whole new "crown series" line and all the hype surrounding it.

I've been trying to figure out what it is exactly that makes his face so odd looking to me. I think its the PERS system eyes, as said by others. The eyes are too sunkin into his head. I know that is common for PERS system eyes but its normally not THAT bad. It looks like someone is wearing a Gandalf the grey mask for halloween almost by how far set back they are into the sculpt. It's like you can see the tops of his eye lids cast a shadow over his eyeballs vs his brow line (which should be making that hard shadow).

Every time I look at him from the side angle with the hair properly hanging down vs slicked back I can see Ian Mckellen. But from head on its like halloween mask scary looking almost lol. Such dark eyes lol.

Hopefully this isn't as bad in person as others are stating.

View attachment 508256

Honestly, the eyes and hat are the only knocks against this figure, and the eyes really aren't that bad.

That said, moveable eyes are the dumbest feature imaginable for a sixth scale figure. Wholly unnecessary. I hope Asmus doesn't do it again with their next Crown Series figure. Just sculpt the eyes and be done with it. No sense in potential issues so a fraction of the people who buy the figure can move the eyes around.

Honestly, the eyes and hat are the only knocks against this figure, and the eyes really aren't that bad.

That said, moveable eyes are the dumbest feature imaginable for a sixth scale figure. Wholly unnecessary. I hope Asmus doesn't do it again with their next Crown Series figure. Just sculpt the eyes and be done with it. No sense in potential issues so a fraction of the people who buy the figure can move the eyes around.
I agree about the eyes. It's best they sculpt them next time, I imagine it would become a pain removing the sculpt and messing with the hair just to move the eyes for people when the majority won't mess with it at all. Plus their is more risk in damaging the hair if people were to continue moving the eyes.

I agree with the eyes. When I first read that he was coming with this feature, the prospect sounded cooler than it actually is. This was the first time I had even heard this was possible in sixth scale collecting as I?m solely Asmus up to now.
Gandalf hardly needed it, BUT I do feel it would be a nice feature to keep on Radagast, if he is ever produced? Maybe even Gollum if they can get the inset right.
I think they are 2 characters that would greatly benefit from it, as it will allow for many more expressive display variations!

I agree with the eyes. When I first read that he was coming with this feature, the prospect sounded cooler than it actually is. This was the first time I had even heard this was possible in sixth scale collecting as I?m solely Asmus up to now.
Gandalf hardly needed it, BUT I do feel it would be a nice feature to keep on Radagast, if he is ever produced? Maybe even Gollum if they can get the inset right.
I think they are 2 characters that would greatly benefit from it, as it will allow for many more expressive display variations!

Yeah I agree.
Radagast and Gollum would definitely benefit from moveable eyes,

I am pritty sure asmus mentioned Gandalf the white.

I would like to see
Radagast and Saruman get the crown treatment too

Gandalf the white will be a crown series for sure - asmus mentioned this in an email to me awhile back.
I’m not sure if it is the next release but if so, count me in.

I have confidence that they can surpass the previously mentioned unlicensed version.

I am still waiting for my invoice and I placed the preorder as soon as it was released.
All of these hair futzing pictures make me want to follow suit when it arrives !

Gandalf the White would be nice, however I'd like Frodo or Aragorn or someone who would match well with this Gandalf.

Am sure the guy doing the hair punching want's someone wearing a helmet or Gollum with only a few wisps as the next figure. :lol

I rather have a FOTR Aragorn Crown Series than a Gandalf the White. His fellowship outfit is still his best and wish they would do a new version of that one.

I rather have a FOTR Aragorn Crown Series than a Gandalf the White. His fellowship outfit is still his best and wish they would do a new version of that one.

Yeah if they could nail the headsculpt it would be a home run ! I don't think anyone has really got Vigo's portrait right. Am pretty sure it was discussed here a fair way back.

Saruman was already a great sculpt but the first time around but I’d love to see him get the same beard treatment Gandalf got here so he’s my vote for next Crown figure, although GtW is probably more desperate of a redo.

I agree 100% I just finished my custom Aragorn using the ACI outfit with the helms deep Aragorn belt, and dagger, and boots. I feel a new FOTR Aragorn would be really good follow up to Gandalf. Not only that but they can really give us a better outfit with new material boots and a new improved sculpt with rooted hair.

They just did an Aragorn so I could see them not doing him for a bit, but I'd definitely be in for a FotR version. I'm not as hardcore about LotR, but I'd buy a Crown Aragorn and a Crown Frodo for a display.

This figure is getting slated on the Lord of the Rings Collectors Facebook page... someone put up a comparison to the prototype next to possibly the worst in hand photos ever taken. After seeing so many decent images in hand on here, I really don?t think it?s warranted.
The figure has its faults, but I think most of us can agree, non are so bad as to really go in that hard on the great work Asmus have done here.

giphy.gif

Back