Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My order is from Feb 4th. This is their answer from this morning:

Thank you for the e-mail.
The product has been partially released in February to March 2021.
It is for customers who pre order it back in June 2019.

If you pre order it recently, the expected release date would be Q4 2021.
We will contact you when the product is ready.

Alright that's a clear answer, thanks for the heads up! Guess I'll get ready for a long wait then.

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that. I got an order in with Asmus earlier this month too when the listing still said "Q1 2021" as I assumed they just added a little more stock upon release. Waiting to Q4 isn't desirable....

I did happen to keep my preorder at BBTS which I made way earlier in case something happened so there's still a chance I could see a Gandalf in the next couple months I think.

That's annoying to order directly from Asmus then turn around and find out it's cheaper on BBTS. Ah well, that's part of the game we play. :slap

That's annoying to order directly from Asmus then turn around and find out it's cheaper on BBTS. Ah well, that's part of the game we play. :slap

By the time you add sales tax and shipping, they’re about the same price, assuming you opt for the free shipping option from Asmus.
I did, and Gandalf took 9 days to get to me from Taiwan to the east coast.

Wow thank goodness I kept the preorder at BBTS since that was from the first batch before they sold out and restocked. Hopefully that means I can get one before Q4.

Lads, I'm pleased to report...

He's magnificent. You will not be disappointed. Or shouldn't be.

Pics coming momentarily.

IMG_1197.JPG
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1193.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1180.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG

Thank you for sharing Alatar! Great username too. Can’t wait for him to come in stock at BBTS or Asmus. The wait will be long but worth it.

He looks fantastic. The head hair and beard hair kind of blend into one big hair ball but with some futzing I’m sure some more definition can be achieved between the two. The fact they look so great still boggles my mind. I hate to admit I had my doubts with this figure initially so I don’t have a problem waiting even longer for him now. The early adopters and true believers deserve to get him first to reward their faith.

The eyes on the 2nd batch of pics look so much better. Is it the lighting and angle? Or did you push them in a little more?

Love what you did with the hair. Neat and tidy, but not over stylized, looking very natural. Congrats mate ! ! Now give us the dirt.... tell us about the hat !

what do you think of it, Alatar?

It's a gorgeous figure imho. I think he's worth the hefty price tag. He has tremendous shelf presence. Head sculpt 10/10. It's a faithful replica from the movie. Easily on par with Gimli and Boromir in that aspect. Imo even more accurate to the movie than even those two. It's Gandalf from the film trilogy.

You have to keep in mind the above photos include closeups in a brightly lit room. Right now as I type this, with the bright ceiling light turned off just looking over at him now next to me on the shelf, the hair looks great with some softer, more dynamic ambient light and shade bringing out it's details. As does his robe. He looks amazing.

With a little futzing the hat can be made to look almost passable... but not quite. They just didn't leave enough space on the inside of the hat for it to fit perfectly as it should. The best I can get it is close but no cigar. And honestly for a $350 figure it should fit like a glove (or, well, a hat). Seriously though, Asmus should consider sending us a replacement eventually. Fortunately his hair is so cool looking that most will want to show that off anyway. But sometimes you want him in that iconic hat! The hat itself looks great too. It's a shame.

I'm off from work tomorrow. I'll post some more shots. With his cloak on, hood both on and off. And with his other staff which has the crystal in it. And with the hat. And posed holding both Glamdring and his staff.

Tomorrow is going to be fun because I'm also firing up a new computer that I legitimately needed for business purposes, but happily it can also run BG3. Taking me back to my A Land Far Away days. But anyway.

The eyes on the 2nd batch of pics look so much better. Is it the lighting and angle? Or did you push them in a little more?

Love what you did with the hair. Neat and tidy, but not over stylized, looking very natural. Congrats mate ! ! Now give us the dirt.... tell us about the hat !

I did virtually no futzing at all with the hair. No water or hair gel or anything. Just a little combing with my fingertips.

And yeah but nope, I didn't do anything with the eyes or angles, and anything like that. I just went through the pics I took again and looked at them some more. I found a few better closeups in there. Same lighting was used for all the pics. I tried a number of different angles as you can see.

I commented on the hat above. But yeah it's frustrating because they just didn't cut it right. It's a fail. This is a quality control issue that could--and should--have been avoided. I know they were under the gun to get the figure out. But they had to realize the hat didn't fit. And yet went ahead with the mass production of it anyway.

Eyes don't look nearly as bad in these new pictures. Slightly recessed but it's not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be on the promo photos that were out last week.

My only concern is the hair. It looks great, but it shouldn't all blend together as one like that. In the films, the beard is distinctly separate from the rest of his hair. Has anyone figured if that's something that can be addressed with futzing yet?

I wonder if the grey of the hat will slowly stain the hair over time. Star Ace’s Dumbledore had that issue. For that reason I’ll probably keep him hatless, fix or no fix.

Eyes don't look nearly as bad in these new pictures. Slightly recessed but it's not nearly as bad as people were making it out to be on the promo photos that were out last week.

My only concern is the hair. It looks great, but it shouldn't all blend together as one like that. In the films, the beard is distinctly separate from the rest of his hair. Has anyone figured if that's something that can be addressed with futzing yet?

With normal light that creates more dynamic light and shade, there's more variation going on with the hair. My photography skills aren't good enough for me to pick up what I'm seeing irl right at this moment with lighting reduced to normal in the office where I have him displayed.

But yeah over all hair does tend to blend into the beard. There probably is a way to style it to differentiate the two. But I doubt that I have the skill to pull it off, so I'm going to leave mine as is. Looks great as is.

Back