Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's important not to go too far. HT has been making the best 1/6 sculpts/figures for awhile. Everytime something like this comes out that looks good it never fails, people always make premature comments throwing dirt on HT grave. It's happened with Blitzway, Molecule One, now Asmus, and I'm sure others. This is the first real HT level figure I have seen from Asmus, I say nice work, well done, and congratulations. Now let's see them keep this up for years.

Unless this in hand pictures have been faked, Asmus will probably be able to lay claim to having released the single best non-custom 1/6 figure from any company to date with Crown Gandalf. In fairness if you look at total body of work Hot Toys still technically comes out on top, but that was yesterday. Tomorrow will belong to Asmus if they maintain this level of quality.
With that said, many of my Asmus figures outside of this still give Hot Toys a run for their money.
I like my Hateful 8 Hangman and Domergue figures as much as anything I have from Hot Toys, not to mention my Thorin, Gimli, Helms Deep Aragorn, and a whole bunch of others.
With all of that said, Asmus became a better company than Hot Toys the day that Hot Toys made the business decision to cater exclusively to fans of Disney and DC movies. Sprinkling in the occasional John Wick or Neo simply doesn?t cut it.
Enterbay would probably be one of the best companies, but not for me because I don?t buy basketball figures.
Asmus has the advantage over Hot Toys because they make something other than Star Wars
and superheroes.
I will always prefer a B plus figure from a really cool and interesting license than an A minus figure from an overdone license that already has products galore.
Now with Asmus latest release being an A plus figure, I think I have a clear understanding of which company is holding my interest.

Unless this in hand pictures have been faked, Asmus will probably be able to lay claim to having released the single best non-custom 1/6 figure from any company to date with Crown Gandalf. In fairness if you look at total body of work Hot Toys still technically comes out on top, but that was yesterday. Tomorrow will belong to Asmus if they maintain this level of quality.
With that said, many of my Asmus figures outside of this still give Hot Toys a run for their money.
I like my Hateful 8 Hangman and Domergue figures as much as anything I have from Hot Toys, not to mention my Thorin, Gimli, Helms Deep Aragorn, and a whole bunch of others.
With all of that said, Asmus became a better company than Hot Toys the day that Hot Toys made the business decision to cater exclusively to fans of Disney and DC movies. Sprinkling in the occasional John Wick or Neo simply doesn?t cut it.
Enterbay would probably be one of the best companies, but not for me because I don?t buy basketball figures.
Asmus has the advantage over Hot Toys because they make something other than Star Wars
and superheroes.
I will always prefer a B plus figure from a really cool and interesting license than an A minus figure from an overdone license that already has products galore.
Now with Asmus latest release being an A plus figure, I think I have a clear understanding of which company is holding my interest.

Sorry there is no "technically". From what I see in pics, this is not the greatest non custom figure ever. It might well be/probably is the best haired/bearded sculpt. But there is something a bit off about the eyes and the hat doesn't look great from what I can tell. So points off for those. HT has made some near perfect figures(plural) over the years.

And as bored as some folks are with Star Wars and Marvel, you can't realistically expect HT to remove their focus from those cash cow properties. They do occasionally go off script with stuff like Wick or Back to the Future but yes, personally I would like to see a return to occasional releases like Terminator etc. But you can't criticize HT narrow focus out of one side of your mouth and laud Asmus out of the other as all they really do is LOTR.

The truth that nobody here probably wants to hear is that Asmus is kinda Threezero-ish but in a different way and with much better customer relations. 3Z seems to usually make better outfits than Asmus and Asmus now usually makes better sculpts than 3Z. Neither company routinely makes figures that have the overall polish of a typical HT figure, but there have been outliers from both here and there.

Sorry there is no "technically". From what I see in pics, this is not the greatest non custom figure ever. It might well be/probably is the best haired/bearded sculpt. But there is something a bit off about the eyes and the hat doesn't look great from what I can tell. So points off for those. HT has made some near perfect figures(plural) over the years.

And as bored as some folks are with Star Wars and Marvel, you can't realistically expect HT to remove their focus from those cash cow properties. They do occasionally go off script with stuff like Wick or Back to the Future but yes, personally I would like to see a return to occasional releases like Terminator etc. But you can't criticize HT narrow focus out of one side of your mouth and laud Asmus out of the other as all they really do is LOTR.

The truth that nobody here probably wants to hear is that Asmus is kinda Threezero-ish but in a different way and with much better customer relations. 3Z seems to usually make better outfits than Asmus and Asmus now usually makes better sculpts than 3Z. Neither company routinely makes figures that have the overall polish of a typical HT figure, but there have been outliers from both here and there.

I reject the premise that nothing has ever been slightly off about the eyes on any Hot Toys figure over the years.
I don?t think anyone else on this thread, or even anyone who works for Hot Toys will agree with you that Hot Toys only releases figures with near PERFECT head sculpts.
Good head sculpts, sure. Great head sculpts, okay. Near perfect, there are some. I own many of them. I also own many more with something a little off with the eyes and a host of other things that could be improved upon.
Not complaining about it, but Hot Toys is not perfect, or near perfect for that matter.
I also have no criticism for the Hot Toys business model. I don?t realistically expect them to change it. In fact, if I ran the company I wouldn?t change a thing because the goal is to make money.
As a consumer, however, I prefer more mature licenses so it simply is not for me.
There are tons of collectors who want shelves filled with Star Wars guys and superheroes and I?m glad that they have Hot Toys to take care of that for them.
Like Hot Toys Asmus isn?t perfect either, but there is a lot of love and care that has clearly been put into those figures.
When my wife and kids walk into the collectibles room they always gravitate right to that LOTR display sliding right past some fine pieces from Hot Toys, Blitzway, and others.

I reject the premise that nothing has ever been slightly off about the eyes on any Hot Toys figure over the years.
I don?t think anyone else on this thread, or even anyone who works for Hot Toys will agree with you that Hot Toys only releases figures with near PERFECT head sculpts.

I never said that, so not sure where you got it? Nowhere did i claim that all HT sculpts have perfect sculpts and eyes.

You said near perfect. Which is what I typed. Take another looks. Thanks.

HT has made some near perfect figures(plural) over the years.

My verbatim statement above. I certainly didn't mean to imply that statement applies to all of their figures, it only applies to a select few in regard to near perfection. Most of their figures fall in a solid 85%-92% if you ask me, with some above and below that average.

This is a good figure, but the rest of Asmus' figures are average/passable. At $350 it's more expensive than most Hot Toys that aren't diecast or oversized characters, so you'd expect a high level of quality. The rest of their figures aren't as good as Hot Toys, and that's reflected in the much lower prices.

Since these "Crown" figures are probably going to be few and far between, I don't see them "dethroning" Hot Toys anytime soon. Now, if their mainline figures all had this level of quality, then they could definitely go places.

People are going to buy what they are going to buy.
The last Hot Toys figure that I purchased was the new Two-Face figure. That?s was a long time ago.
Since that figure arrived my last 15 figures were all Asmus LOTR figures.
My only current preorders are 2 from Asmus and 2 Vito Corleones from Dam Toys.
I have a grand total of zero preorders from Hot Toys and do not have anything from them that I am planning to buy.
After my Galadriel and Gandalf arrive I will be eagerly waiting to see what comes next from Asmus. I am also hoping, though doubtful, that Dam goes deeper with The Godfather. They won?t but I can hope.
I know for a fact that I am not buying anything from HT between now and the end of 2022, probably 2023 because I am good on Star Wars and Superheroes.
So for me, Asmus is already the number one company and has in fact dethroned Hot Toys.
I?m probably not alone in that regard.

People are going to buy what they are going to buy.
The last Hot Toys figure that I purchased was the new Two-Face figure. That?s was a long time ago.
Since that figure arrived my last 15 figures were all Asmus LOTR figures.
My only current preorders are 2 from Asmus and 2 Vito Corleones from Dam Toys.
I have a grand total of zero preorders from Hot Toys and do not have anything from them that I am planning to buy.
After my Galadriel and Gandalf arrive I will be eagerly waiting to see what comes next from Asmus. I am also hoping, though doubtful, that Dam goes deeper with The Godfather. They won?t but I can hope.
I know for a fact that I am not buying anything from HT between now and the end of 2022, probably 2023 because I am good on Star Wars and Superheroes.
So for me, Asmus is already the number one company and has in fact dethroned Hot Toys.
I?m probably not alone in that regard.
I'm close to being in the same boat. I have Endgame Cap and Battle Damage Mark 85 from HT on preorder and aside from that its Snowspeeder Luke. Nothing else has interested me from them as of late.

I'm more excited to see what Asmus announces next than the next SW or Marvel figure HT keeps pumping out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm close to being in the same boat. I have Endgame Cap and Battle Damage Mark 85 from HT on preorder and aside from that its Snowspeeder Luke. Nothing else has interested me from them as of late.

I'm more excited to see what Asmus announces next than the next SW or Marvel figure HT keeps pumping out.

I agree here.
I have Snowspeeder Luke and Bespin Lando on order.
Tempted to order Battle damaged Iron Man due to that specific scene alone.
The only other figures I wish to PO are Endgame Loki and the Heimdall figure from another company.
I've also been very choosey with this LOTR line.
REALLY hope Haldir comes this year to go alongside Aragorn (Helms Deep).

Same, those are the only 2 I have on PO from HT. While I'm excited for ZSJL, they'd have to really wow me with figures from that movie IF they even make more figures for me to PO something else from them. Folks on this forum like to crap on the "lesser" properties from other companies, but to me, these other companies are making more exciting items than what's coming from HT. Aside from this Gandalf, HT is mostly just king for production paint apps. If other companies can get to that level, then I think HT could be knocked down a couple pegs. One of the main things I hate doing is getting a fantastic overall figure, but then having to repaint it.

Same, those are the only 2 I have on PO from HT. While I'm excited for ZSJL, they'd have to really wow me with figures from that movie IF they even make more figures for me to PO something else from them. Folks on this forum like to crap on the "lesser" properties from other companies, but to me, these other companies are making more exciting items than what's coming from HT. Aside from this Gandalf, HT is mostly just king for production paint apps. If other companies can get to that level, then I think HT could be knocked down a couple pegs. One of the main things I hate doing is getting a fantastic overall figure, but then having to repaint it.
HT really have been dropping in quality lately though IMO. It seems they are biting off more than they can chew.

I remember back before Asmus I always dreamed HT get Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.

Now looking back I'm glad it worked out the way it did, because if people are being realistic HT would never have gone this deep with this license. We would likely have gotten Gandalf. Frodo and Aragorn and that would have been about it. And they would never have done real hair with their release.

So I'm glad we are getting what we are getting.

What figures have HT dropped the ball on lately?

The Iron Man Mk 85 head sculpt is really bad (although HT is offering free replacements for it), but outside of that, their recent releases have been extremely good. Overall, their quality continues to be outstanding.

Well, since you asked =D

For me personally, the figures they dropped the ball on;

Any of the Luke skywalkers, ESPECIALLY ROTJ. Insulting sculpt, accessories split between 2 releases.
Captain America, in the sense of rehashing sculpts, same restrictive material that affects articulation. 2nd most milked marvel character and they STILL dropped it with the Endgame version.
Daredevil. God I hate that figure so much.
Resident evil 6 Leon and Ada.
Commander Cody, which has its good points. But subpar temura portrait, lack of useful accessories (where YEARS ago sideshow provided accessories that ELEVATED the figure...in spite of a stylized portrait, it still outclasses HT attempt)
Not familiar with the iron man situation, but apparently it was a crap figure...so I guess that counts?
Qui gon jinn.
EP 3 Anakin and obi wan.
1/4 batman begins. Frustrating FRUSTRATING figure.
1/4 joker.

There are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

There have been stand outs these past few years that I will give HT credit.

Figures that truly wowed me were count dooku, infinity war Thor, doctor strange, 1/4 vader and fett. 1/4 the dark knight.

So yeah. Quite a list if you asked me.

What figures have HT dropped the ball on lately?

And if we really want to talk about HT dropping the ball, how about dropping the ball on their figure selection. With so many great films and characters spread throughout the past four or so decades of cinema it?s a crying shame that their talents are being wasted on churning out more and more figures of Hawkeye, Black Widow, young Han Solo, and Boba Fett variants.
How many Jared Leto Jokers did anyone really need anyway?
That?s where they will end up losing to companies like Asmus.
I would prefer a figure of Gollum with a good sculpt, than another Hawkeye figure with the greatest sculpt in the world.

And if we really want to talk about HT dropping the ball, how about dropping the ball on their figure selection. With so many great films and characters spread throughout the past four or so decades of cinema it?s a crying shame that their talents are being wasted on churning out more and more figures of Hawkeye, Black Widow, young Han Solo, and Boba Fett variants.
How many Jared Leto Jokers did anyone really need anyway?
That?s where they will end up losing to companies like Asmus.
I would prefer a figure of Gollum with a good sculpt, than another Hawkeye figure with the greatest sculpt in the world.
[emoji817][emoji106][emoji108]

Well, since you asked =D

For me personally, the figures they dropped the ball on;

Any of the Luke skywalkers, ESPECIALLY ROTJ. Insulting sculpt, accessories split between 2 releases.
Captain America, in the sense of rehashing sculpts, same restrictive material that affects articulation. 2nd most milked marvel character and they STILL dropped it with the Endgame version.
Daredevil. God I hate that figure so much.
Resident evil 6 Leon and Ada.
Commander Cody, which has its good points. But subpar temura portrait, lack of useful accessories (where YEARS ago sideshow provided accessories that ELEVATED the figure...in spite of a stylized portrait, it still outclasses HT attempt)
Not familiar with the iron man situation, but apparently it was a crap figure...so I guess that counts?
Qui gon jinn.
EP 3 Anakin and obi wan.
1/4 batman begins. Frustrating FRUSTRATING figure.
1/4 joker.

There are more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

There have been stand outs these past few years that I will give HT credit.

Figures that truly wowed me were count dooku, infinity war Thor, doctor strange, 1/4 vader and fett. 1/4 the dark knight.

So yeah. Quite a list if you asked me.

Actually think Qui-gon is a great release, if not perfect; he's the first fig I have that honestly think most photos don't do justice to. Enough to play with too, re looks.

But, it's been a while and I am still irate over IW Cap (head seam, poorly done mouth, sculpt, plastic feeling costume); BP v2 (softened sculpt and styrofoam base); then there's figs I just didn't buy as the sculpt likeness seemed to be going backward (Antman).

Got into collecting later than some; but price to value, sort of feels like TWS to Ragnarok, roughly, was sort of a Golden Age for HT. Then the prices went up, and you got less; and there was corner cutting like the switch from diecast back to plastic shields; or more vinyl in costumes vs. cloth. Sculpts may or may not be softened up in production. Lately it's just been a flood of helmeted SW figs with NO sculpt.

Always appreciate ASMUS and their lavish use of materials; like Gandalf V1 has a nice full cloak; Thranduil has diecast katanas, and so on.

I don't know why we have to put down a company in order to pump the tires of another. I don't collect much besides LOTR and StarWars. I don't have Gandalf yet but if it is close to what I saw, this is going to be one of the best 1/6 figures and the best from Asmus.

I really like how Asmus is able to go deep into their license and complete the Fellowship. Now they are doing many side characters, which are great. However, besides Gandalf, there are definitely room for improvement before they reach Hot Toys level, in particular the sculpt and painting of hair.

Hot Toys is no where near perfect. They have all the major licenses yet not enough artists and production power to do any side/background characters. I understand it is a business and they will keep making the same characters that will generate higher margins but you do hope for background characters instead of 5-10 interactions of the same character. There are improvements though, the Endgame Black Widow and Cap have really nice sculpts. I would have kept the Mk85 sculpt if I ordered it.

Hot Toys set the bar which every other company is now pushing for. If HT doesn't keep at that level they should be called out on it.

Same thing happened to McFarlane pushed the boundaries for what we were used to with action figures in the 90s early 2000s. McFarlane got lazy and started getting silly with licenses. NECA surpassed them and Todd is now miles and miles left in the dust.

Just because HT is "king of 1:6" doesn't mean it'll always be that way. They have gotten lazy. Cutting corners and reusing sculpts and bases is a clear sign of that.

Back