Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys set the bar which every other company is now pushing for. If HT doesn't keep at that level they should be called out on it.

Same thing happened to McFarlane pushed the boundaries for what we were used to with action figures in the 90s early 2000s. McFarlane got lazy and started getting silly with licenses. NECA surpassed them and Todd is now miles and miles left in the dust.

Just because HT is "king of 1:6" doesn't mean it'll always be that way. They have gotten lazy. Cutting corners and reusing sculpts and bases is a clear sign of that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

As I understand it, wasn't HT once the upstart small company? Don't get me wrong, their figures can be a pleasure just to handle, when I've gone for cheap bodies for 'bashes. It was a relief to get back to HT - plus their stellar eye work.

Going to give my opinion on HT.
They are still the standard setting company that the others are trying to catch.
Are their figures perfect, no, what I might see as a near perfect figure another collector might have issue with, which works both ways.
I don?t think their standards have dropped at all. Paint apps and tailoring are on point on most of their figures. Some material choices while capturing the look of the character might not be best for long term posing but looks good in museum posing. <- debating point right there lol.
Being lazy, not so sure of that either, reused sculpts with different paint app is just smart business for certain figures. But you have to look at characters like the latest release Hellboy, an excellent figure and head sculpt, new developed rubber upper body with metal skeleton heaps of accessories. Venompool springs to mind also shows they aren?t lazy when it?s not a bland enough character. The upcoming Pennywise doesn?t look to be a lazy effort also.
I think the perceived laziness is really down to the characters they are producing or planning to. But can?t blame them for squeezing the life out out of the licenses they pay big bucks for. So of that means they have to release a load of storm trooper variants, so be it.
Also the Ironman head sculpt thing was blown way out of proportion. The head sculpt was accurate to RDJ in End Game but turns out collectors weren?t ready for an older slimmer Tony Stark. And HT listened to the collectors and are producing another new sculpt for this figure. It?ll be interesting to see if they try keep the older slimmer look.

Anyway that?s my opinion that Hot Toys are still the industries best.
It?s up to Asmus and others to catch up now.
And crown Gandalf looks to be a good start.

Hot Toys set the bar which every other company is now pushing for. If HT doesn't keep at that level they should be called out on it.

Same thing happened to McFarlane pushed the boundaries for what we were used to with action figures in the 90s early 2000s. McFarlane got lazy and started getting silly with licenses. NECA surpassed them and Todd is now miles and miles left in the dust.

Just because HT is "king of 1:6" doesn't mean it'll always be that way. They have gotten lazy. Cutting corners and reusing sculpts and bases is a clear sign of that.

Exactly this! By the same token companies like Asmus that are really pushing to raise their own performance, and the standard for the industry as a whole deserve to be recognized and compared favorably against Hot Toys for their efforts.

Exactly this! By the same token companies like Asmus that are really pushing to raise their own performance, and the standard for the industry as a whole deserve to be recognized and compared favorably against Hot Toys for their efforts.
Oh quite true about re-using sculpts. I cancelled my EndGame Black Widow after I saw the snow suit.

Now, will Asmus re-use Gandalf's face.
I find it quite lazy when companies reuse sculpts. Even if its a 100% home run. Let's use SW as an example. They have reused Carrie and Marks likeness several times over now. From 77 to 83 these actors aged. They do not have exact same features between the films. Hamill especially.

Each new release should have a new sculpt imo.

At least my collection is diverse enough where it won't make a huge difference but those that only collect SW, it gets bland when each figure has the same sculpt over and over.

Hell even with my Indy figures. Five different versions of Indy and each has a different sculpt.

Yes, the argument can be said these companies are a business and its about making money. That still doesn't change the fact that it's still lazy and cutting corners.

I find it quite lazy when companies reuse sculpts. Even if its a 100% home run. Let's use SW as an example. They have reused Carrie and Marks likeness several times over now. From 77 to 83 these actors aged. They do not have exact same features between the films. Hamill especially.

At least my collection is diverse enough where it won't make a huge difference but those that only collect SW, it gets bland when each figure has the same sculpt over and over.

Hell even with my Indy figures. Five different versions of Indy and each has a different sculpt.

Yes, the argument can be said these companies are a business and its about making money. That still doesn't change the fact that it's still lazy and cutting corners.

You have 5 Indys, nice. Got any pics?
I have Inigo?s sculpt but kit bashing the rest.

Yup, agreed with all of your points in all posts.

I’m gonna come out and say it...if it hasn’t already been said:

Brace yourselves, it’s a hot take and it will ruffle a few feathers. It won’t be easy to read, but bear with me.

HT ARE NO LONGER THE TOP DOG.

You have 3rd parties that come out with product that both equal AND surpass what HT have put out over the past 2 years. What HT has managed to do is stay consistent. Which means every 10 figures or so, you have a few that are considered amazing where they’re universally praised, with the rest being mediocre and divisive- meaning there will be those that defend the figure and calling the critics trolls and critics calling the defenders shills.

It’s a vicious cycle to be honest...but I digress.

Before anyone jumps the gun and says I’m hating on HT, that’s not true. Its because I like them that I’m extra critical. They’ve been in the game for so long and set the standard for high quality collectibles. For years they strived to be the best, leaving companies like Medicom, hasbro, SSC and a few others in the dust.

Then at some point, they became complacent.

Theyve literally become marvel studios, where everything is the same, nothing new and or exciting...it’s just...decent.
Then every once in a while you get a winter soldier, infinity war and endgame. But everything else is just passable. Entertaining, but passable.

That’s HT in a nutshell TODAY.

When you’re paying close to $300 USD for a figure that REUSES parts, I don’t care if it’s smart business, it’s bad for the consumer. That money isn’t easy to come by. You worked hard for it. This isn’t a situation where you can walk into a target and blind buy a toy off the rack. You have to PO these things, pay taxes and shipping, at times custom fees. All of that, and you’re going to sell me a “brand new” toy that has the same headsculpt from 3-5 years ago??

Ok, thanks, can I have another??

There’s more I want to say, but this is already a wall of text..I’ll continue my thoughts in a separate post.

You have 5 Indys, nice. Got any pics?
I have Inigo?s sculpt but kit bashing the rest.
Sure man, plenty of pics here

www.instagram.com/cellar_toys

I?m gonna come out and say it...if it hasn?t already been said:

Brace yourselves, it?s a hot take and it will ruffle a few feathers. It won?t be easy to read, but bear with me.

You have 3rd parties that come out with product that both equal AND surpass what HT have put out over the past 2 years. What HT has managed to do is stay consistent. Which means every 10 figures or so, you have a few that are considered amazing where they?re universally praised, with the rest being mediocre and divisive- meaning there will be those that defend the figure and calling the critics trolls and critics calling the defenders shills.

It?s a vicious cycle to be honest...but I digress.

Before anyone jumps the gun and says I?m hating on HT, that?s not true. Its because I like them that I?m extra critical. They?ve been in the game for so long and set the standard for high quality collectibles. For years they strived to be the best, leaving companies like Medicom, hasbro, SSC and a few others in the dust.

Theyve literally become marvel studios, where everything is the same, nothing new and or exciting...it?s just...decent.
Then every once in a while you get a winter soldier, infinity war and endgame. But everything else is just passable. Entertaining, but passable.

That?s HT in a nutshell TODAY.

When you?re paying close to $300 USD for a figure that REUSES parts, I don?t care if it?s smart business, it?s bad for the consumer. That money isn?t easy to come by. You worked hard for it. This isn?t a situation where you can walk into a target and blind buy a toy off the rack. You have to PO these things, pay taxes and shipping, at times custom fees. All of that, and you?re going to sell me a ?brand new? toy that has the same headsculpt from 3-5 years ago??

There?s more I want to say, but this is already a wall of text..I?ll continue my thoughts in a separate post.
Totally agree on all accounts. HT releases (especially the DX release) we're an event. Could be we have become desensitized or that other companies have caught up so HT releases don't have that special shine...or their quality has dropped. Or it's a combination. Not all that exciting to get the same headsculpt or base that you've had sitting on your shelves for years already.

Totally agree on all accounts. HT releases (especially the DX release) we're an event. Could be we have become desensitized or that other companies have caught up so HT releases don't have that special shine...or their quality has dropped. Or it's a combination. Not all that exciting to get the same headsculpt or base that you've had sitting on your shelves for years already.

Cool pics dude!
I actually saw your Universal Monsters on FB recently. Really cool.

Bottom line though is we don't want these companies to become complacent. We want them to keep pushing the boundaries. Would we ever want Movie Directors to keep making the same movies with the same cgi or practical effects without evolving?
Would we want video game companies to keep pushing out the same level of games every generation? Nah we want them to keep wowing us. I don't think there's any difference in the collector world either.

I do appreciate HT for giving me tons of characters in 1:6 form that I adore. I dont want to see them become the next McFarlane.

Thanks man! Love Universal Monsters! There's an example of another license that HT could branch out to. Or any company. Would love updated versions of those classics!

Yeah they are great! Hoping someone would redo them, maybe ToT would do them now they are in the 1/6 game.
Also tried to buy the Mondo creature from the black lagoon but they wouldn?t ship that product to Ireland due to license.

Yup! I remember the hype and anticipation and speculation threads. ?Ooh what?s next?! Oh this so and so HAS to be the next DX!?

19 DXs later, how many are of batman and joker?

Bottom line though is we don't want these companies to become complacent. We want them to keep pushing the boundaries. Would we ever want Movie Directors to keep making the same movies with the same cgi or practical effects without evolving?
Would we want video game companies to keep pushing out the same level of games every generation? Nah we want them to keep wowing us. I don't think there's any difference in the collector world either.

I do appreciate HT for giving me tons of characters in 1:6 form that I adore. I dont want to see them become the next McFarlane.

You...I like you man. We are on the same wave length, I also think of the parallels between games and toys.

I?m gonna come out and say it...if it hasn?t already been said:

Brace yourselves, it?s a hot take and it will ruffle a few feathers. It won?t be easy to read, but bear with me.

You have 3rd parties that come out with product that both equal AND surpass what HT have put out over the past 2 years. What HT has managed to do is stay consistent. Which means every 10 figures or so, you have a few that are considered amazing where they?re universally praised, with the rest being mediocre and divisive- meaning there will be those that defend the figure and calling the critics trolls and critics calling the defenders shills.

It?s a vicious cycle to be honest...but I digress.

Before anyone jumps the gun and says I?m hating on HT, that?s not true. Its because I like them that I?m extra critical. They?ve been in the game for so long and set the standard for high quality collectibles. For years they strived to be the best, leaving companies like Medicom, hasbro, SSC and a few others in the dust.

Theyve literally become marvel studios, where everything is the same, nothing new and or exciting...it?s just...decent.

That?s HT in a nutshell TODAY.

When you?re paying close to $300 USD for a figure that REUSES parts, I don?t care if it?s smart business, it?s bad for the consumer. That money isn?t easy to come by. You worked hard for it. This isn?t a situation where you can walk into a target and blind buy a toy off the rack. You have to PO these things, pay taxes and shipping, at times custom fees. All of that, and you?re going to sell me a ?brand new? toy that has the same headsculpt from 3-5 years ago??

There?s more I want to say, but this is already a wall of text..I?ll continue my thoughts in a separate post.

Nothing to add. You covered it perfectly in a nutshell! I love Hot Toys, they are the reason I started collecting 1/6 scale figures. With that said never thought the day would come when I was more excited anticipating what would come next from Asmus than Hot Toys, but here we are.

Nothing to add. You covered it perfectly in a nutshell! I love Hot Toys, they are the reason I started collecting 1/6 scale figures. With that said never thought the day would come when I was more excited anticipating what would come next from Asmus than Hot Toys, but here we are.

The thing with Asmus is, their output has been pretty good thus far. A few misses here and there, but generally they’ve been solid.

Their hits and misses run parallel to HT. But keep one thing in mind...one company has deep resources, whilst the other has a tighter budget. And in spite of their tight budget, their past few product are on par with HT.

I swear I’m gonna do an in depth comparison video one of these days.

For me Asmus and Exo-6 are the companies to watch. They have a passion for the product and they respect the collectors. Really looking forward to what they will produce!
I still love the Hot Toys figures I?ve collected over the years. I have some Sideshow figures that still look amazing -Taun Taun, Dewback, Jabba etc. So full props to those guys.
Now Star Ace on the other hand......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I guess Chinese New Year’s must be over. I see that my order is now finally showing up in the tracking for delivery. There’s been a spot reserved for him for several years now in the middle of my display for the nine members of the fellowship.

Just wanted to say. If anyone needs a store that is professional and friendly, then Toy Panic are just great.
They helped me in getting a preorder for Gandalf late on when nobody else could, and then went out of there way to help me when we hit a problem.
Wish all stores were as understanding and helpful.

I'm very curious to see how the moveable eye system works. It seems to be a much simpler than the PERS system HT used -- just individual eyeballs in sockets that you can aim individually rather than a complicated rig that connects them in tandem. I always thought the HT system was a little over-engineered. Hoping it looks good because I really want a system like that for their eventual Gollum/Smeagol figure(s).
Enterbay had already done the movable eyes thing but with a joystick per eye to move independently. I think Hot Toys was just trying to he more clever and "out do" ,or as you say "over engineer", EB. Making it over complicated is what made those PERS systems break all the time. I remember when I got my DX08 I just deliberately broke it so I could move the eyes independently.lol I knew I'd never resell the figure anyway. Still have him and he's still my favorite.
Interesting...What did DID do? I'd like to see.
I think any further shipping wont happen till after Feb 17th.

I know Buttmunch already answered but I figured I show you a pic of one of mine in hand. I've had quite a few DID figures with this stubble. I believe they called it flocking. It looks fantastic in hand. Id like to see HT or other companies do this as well. DID have been doing it for over a decade. I actually think they do certain things better than Hot Toys.

fd1a7589dfa1513d90da982c224edd1c.jpg
2ab8d01af6c76c22d5fbb18321eea458.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Back