Asmus Toys Lord of the Ring Gandalf Gray

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The figure I emailed about was Faramir, but it is probably worth emailing just to get an updated status. They may still be waiting for more stock for GtG, but they seem to have moved through most of the pre-orders by now.

So I emailed about my Gandalf because I got the invoice for Galadriel even though I ordered Gandalf first.
I ordered around last May I think.
Anyway, Asmus got back to me very quickly, because they?re great like that, and let me know that they were still working through 2019 preorders.
Good to know. Love their great service and communication.

Thank you for providing details and perspectives on GTG FlyandFight. I look forward to pics, especially what you come up with for the base if you try to switch the gate door.

Well, I finally started to set up my Crown Gandalf the Grey set and I have to say that it is both one of the potentially best looking and one of the most frustrating figures that I've ever come across.

I decided to start off working on the cool looking display base, figuring that I could warm up with that first and then get to the actual figure.

Well, after spending considerable time wrestling with the different posts, (the two for the gate and the one mailbox), I felt like flinging the damn thing across the room. The pegs on the posts just didn't fit the slots on the base, at least mine didn't. I had to pound the two gate posts until they were wedged in by brute force. By the way, I made sure that they were facing the correct way.

The worst is the mailbox. It just won't fit in the slot. I didn't want to risk damaging it so left it off, which is a shame. In the end, it won't be used at this time, as Gandalf barely fits on the base. Between the gate, foliage and steps, he just looked crowded on it. I sincerely hope that we get an Ian Holm "Bilbo" soon, as I will display him there, instead. Fortunately, I had previously purchased several of Asmus's "Lord of the Rings" figure bases and am displaying Gandalf on that, instead.

Moving on towards the figure itself, it truly is amazing but certainly not straight out of the box. The sculpt and paint apps are wonderful. Unfortunately, whomever packed in my Gandalf head sculpt must have been behind on his boxing quota that day because it appeared to have been quickly jammed into the foam packaging without much care and the hair was not neatly in place. I'm going to have to review this thread again and see how best to work the hair. It isn't terrible but definitely needs some futzing.

His outfit and shoes are fantastic but I don't plan on him wearing the outer cloak, as he looks too bulky. The hat or head magnet is off-centered, so the hat slides down towards the front of this head. Not a problem for me, as I don't plan on him wearing the hat, either.

Balin's book is super-cool. It has actual pages with writing on it. Amazing detailing.

There are a large assortment of hands included, although the non-clutching ones seem to me to be over-sized. I just kept the hands that he came with.

Again, the potential is there to be one of the best stock figures ever released. I just am going to have to spend considerable time futzing with the figure and the base and hopefully get both looking and functioning as intended. But at the price point, I shouldn't need to, or at least the effort should be minimal. There really is no excuse for the ill fitting posts on the base, and for the amazing head sculpt not to have been inserted a bit more carefully. In contrast, both Gimli and Boromir were fantastic right out of the box and both had "faux" hair.

I'm truly hoping that I don't have similar experiences with Galadriel and her intricate hair...

No pics posted, as I want to first work on this one and get it looking how it should.

Great review. Very detailed. Thank you for your thoughts on this one.

I am excited to get this figure. Hopefully BBTS gets their stock soon. Seems like there's issues but nothing figure breaking, so to speak. It's disappointing Asmus hasn't commented on some of the predominate issues like the hat and base posts. Hopefully someday they'll add some thoughts. Either way, as long as they're learning and the next Crown figure (hopefully Aragorn) is a step up, I'm happy. It's their first attempt at this kind of premium figure, can't expect it to be 100% perfect.

Either way, as long as they're learning and the next Crown figure (hopefully Aragorn) is a step up, I'm happy. It's their first attempt at this kind of premium figure, can't expect it to be 100% perfect.
The next figure in the Crown series should be Gandalf the White. Asmus themselves said it in late 2019.

Great review. Very detailed. Thank you for your thoughts on this one.

I am excited to get this figure. Hopefully BBTS gets their stock soon. Seems like there's issues but nothing figure breaking, so to speak. It's disappointing Asmus hasn't commented on some of the predominate issues like the hat and base posts. Hopefully someday they'll add some thoughts. Either way, as long as they're learning and the next Crown figure (hopefully Aragorn) is a step up, I'm happy. It's their first attempt at this kind of premium figure, can't expect it to be 100% perfect.

Thanks! I've had a chance to settle down from the frustrations encountered with the set yesterday and I'm trying to view the figure with fresh eyes and it definitely is impressive. No doubt about that. Until I can dedicate some time to "futz" with it, I currently have him on a regular Asmus figure stand and simply holding one of the staffs (Moria version). The hair and beard, even unfutzed, truly elevate the figure's amazing sculpt. I hope I can get it to look like it should, without messing it up further.

I forgot to mention in the previous review that the eyes issue wasn't even noticeable in the lighting that it is in. They looked fine on display on my desk.

The next figure in the Crown series should be Gandalf the White. Asmus themselves said it in late 2019.

I hope they have learned from the Grey release and GtW will be even better, straight out of the box.

Here's hoping for Gandalf the White that they go back to just regular sculpted eyes. As much as I'd love to own that figure, I can't see myself paying another $350 for something with the same major flaw, that basically requires that you keep the eyes hidden completely in shadow in order for the likeness to work.

Crown series Gollum?
with hair.
2 headsculpts/angry,small iris.Happy,Large iris.
Smeagol as Waterman.
1 ring.
Fish.
Rock outcrop base surrounded by Lava and swap out for Water 😁

Just had mine hit my BBTS pile of loot. Trying to decide what to do. I have one POd from Asmus and have that deposit placed, but who knows when that will ship. Or if the later batches will have improvements.

Just got mine from BBTS. Did not expect that today! Was gonna ship my POL yesterday and held out!

Heck yeah! BBTS is also processing my order; should be shipped out right away here. :clap

Now the question is, do I cancel the preorder with Asmus and lose my NRD, or should I just hang onto it?

Just had mine hit my BBTS pile of loot. Trying to decide what to do. I have one POd from Asmus and have that deposit placed, but who knows when that will ship. Or if the later batches will have improvements.

I'm pretty mixed on the whole thing, but I'm holding onto my order, because it sounds like this might be a good one to flip in a few months. The fanboys in the thread have convinced me that this one will be worth more in the future. So if I end up not liking it, selling a $330 figure for $500 or so would be a good deal for me.

I doubt 'later batches' will have improvements as that would be a pretty big kick in the balls to those of us who pre-ordered early.

I'm pretty mixed on the whole thing, but I'm holding onto my order, because it sounds like this might be a good one to flip in a few months. The fanboys in the thread have convinced me that this one will be worth more in the future. So if I end up not liking it, selling a $330 figure for $500 or so would be a good deal for me.

I doubt 'later batches' will have improvements as that would be a pretty big kick in the balls to those of us who pre-ordered early.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that in a big way. I wasn't even thinking of it like that and was pretty close to canceling my order but I figure I can at least TRY to photograph him and futz around with him and if I hate him I shouldn't have all that much trouble selling him off for what I paid sometime in the future.

Honestly I'm disappointed too. This figure should be without as many issues for the price. Also disappointed Asmus has been completely silent in addressing the issues. I wouldn't even care if they admitted their mistakes, I just think it'd be nice if they'd comment on what so many people say went wrong.

I also look at this figure in the sense that we probably won't see another sixth scale Gandalf the Grey for a long time and there certainly won't be a better one for many years to come. Issues and all, I'm sure in a display of LOTR characters it looks amazing and I'm looking forward to getting mine. I always preferred Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White so this was a no brainer for me. I'm happy to be receiving it. I just hope I'm less annoyed with putting it together than I was with Commander Cody haha.

Also disappointed Asmus has been completely silent in addressing the issues. I wouldn't even care if they admitted their mistakes, I just think it'd be nice if they'd comment on what so many people say went wrong.

:exactly:

This is when communication matters.

Collectors have praised Asmus for how active they are on the forum, yet when people here are asking for a response about their most ambitious and expensive figure yet, they have nothing to say.

Back