Asmus Toys : Legolas (wip thread)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6D497781-57AB-43C3-841E-9013A1C574FD.jpg

Are you kidding me? It looks great! Maybe it was just too time-consuming for Asmus... 😕

Thanks man,

I think there is a few things with asmus as to why they didn't go real hair, a few they spoke of in the thread.

I'm no asmus supporter... if you ask me they have progressed at a snails pace but Legolas is something close to the quality of a 2007 hot toys (which is a lot of them if you ask me). But their reasons for not going rooted are totally viable.

It's the same reason why hot toys will go rooted for a figure with hair past a certain point but not for like a Thor. But the truth is none of these companies, hot toys included could ever come close to touching what us " hair guy" customizers can do. (The level of complexity involved in this I decided in finally comfortable calling myself one of the "hair guys". )

The main reason is we use real hair, there may be other stuff out there but I'm pretty sure we all use Tibetan yak.

Asmus and hot toys and the like need to create the hair synthetically so out of plastic even if they could source the hair in large quantities they need to root the hair where we don't actually root it at all. We punch it in places and we glue it. (The bottom part of my Legolas is rooted in the original animal Hyde affixed to a fake skull I built but the top is punched and all a complex and manual hand process. For the slick look of his hair they would have to root it and the root line would be really unsightly around his forehead where as I blended my hairline in with punching, gluing and painting.

The reason why their hair looks so bad is the synthetics which is essentially plastic that's why it appears thick and fake and shiny.
Tibetan yak is thinner than human hair which makes it better for this scale.

I also do everything else you can imagine for it. For this project that included dying it an accurate color which I used L'Oréal Paris ash blonde hair dye for.. layering and percise trimming on angle for the ends and even a flat iron to get the hair straighter.

All this and the braid... which was actually the simplest part of all this for me but asmus did say they could not get a braid that small,

Although threezero did attempt a braid on Danyeres. Let's wee what that looks like after production comes out.

Man all these Haired Legolases are making me real jealous. I didn't know I preferred rooted hair until you guys started showing your figures.

Incredible Raymond!

I think Asmus made the right call on going with the sculpted for Legolas. Raymond listed a lot of good reasons and for me it basically comes down to until companies figure out how to mass produce rooted hair that looks good out of the box and doesn't leave an odd looking transition at the forehead I will be for sculpted hair.

I'll take one of these kits please. Thank you!

That's very impressive and masterful work.

Haha if those really are kits, take my kidney now :D

That black and white shot looks incredible though, amazing work. The hair and the weathering (well, lack thereof) are my only issues with this figure. You've taken it to a whole new level Raymond.

that's not a kit unfortunately... I don't even know how something like that would work to be honest! And before I'm asked( because I always am)... humbly and I mean that honestly with gratitude for the support! but there is NO way in hell I'd ever want to do another one of these :( So if you ask I'm likely not to respond unfortunately . BUT I hope it provides inspiration on what IS POSSIBLE :)

Last edited:
It really is beautiful and I saved the detailed post as I am going to try and replicate it and learn the involved art of taking such a great piece of art to the next level and as close to the pinnacle that we all want to achieve in our collections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This lifts the figure to a whole new level. Looking at the colour, the plastic version's colour isn't too far off.

Back