Asmus Toys : Gimli (pre-production discussion)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got hold of some real metal 1/6-scaled chain-mail at the weekend, so I will be making Gimli a new chain-mail vest :yess:

Pictures coming soon...

OK, I just got this guy from BBTS today. WOW. truly STUNNING figure! The only other LOTR figure I have is Saruman, which is good, but not near the attention to detail this guy is. Simply amazing. 10/10, right out of the box. Well done, Asmus!

Completely agree. I feel in a sense (at least this year anyway but I didn't get Yondu) ASMUS just gave HT a run for their money. Big time at this price point (tho I thought Thranduil and GOTG were great too esp. Thranduil....)
Or - just got Gimli and so blown away just used a handy SSC coupon and ordered another:devil - and this wasn't even a character on my radar. (For me it's kinda like Doctor Strange release 1 - sometimes a fig comes along that is SO GOOD IMO.)

Yeah - chain mail. Not bugging me that much, I like what ASMUS did (and if you read their FB page a lot of thought went into it). Also tho I futz - do some mild jewelry work w. jump rings, spring rings, etc. so if I wanna switch things out at some point, I will. There's a line where stuff and price crosses into custom work and I'd rather be able to get an affordable great fig.

Anyway LOL. Thrilled with him - Gimli is heavy, sturdy - some quick pics straight out of the box - so haven't futzed w. hair etc. yet.

Did I say I'm thrilled? I'm thrilled:love! Far as I can tell, strong joints (quick pose on a Phicen base which isn't the easiest to stand on for ANY fig re the irregular surface). Beautiful sculpt with perfect, great transition to the beard - really nice work:clap. Also beautiful eyes, face paint. Gorgeous detail on the helm. Gimli looks strong, noble - friggin' love this sculpt, THIS is the Gimli from Tolkien!:clap

Gimli_ASMUS_pic1.jpg

Gimli_ASMUS_pic2.jpg

Gimli_ASMUS_pic3.jpg

Gimli_ASMUS_pic4.jpg

Great wig - thick, silky, easy to work with (for me anyway). The hair quality is terrific - beautiful russet color (and also give me high hopes for Thorin's hair, which is a big deal to me. Dwarves are HAIRY. They need GREAT hair). Way to go, ASMUS:clap

Just superb, outstanding costume materials (some sort of fine ultra suede) and the plastic/vinyl feels like good quality - heavy, without the brittleness of cheap plastics - it's got a bit of give. The diecast axes (with more stunning detail) are heavy and weighty. The cloak is also fine ultrasuede w. a wired hood and Lothlorien pin. Even the BOOTS have mind blowing-detail OMG.

Plus, if Thorin and Bilbo are this good it's really something to look forward to:drool:drool:drool. I'm sorry for folks having to wait - I just got a delay notice on Cap from SSC so I think it's something to do w. cargo ships/shipping or whatever - but IMO Gimli is worth the wait. U really need to get him in hand and appreciate the face paint, hair, and costume. Holy sh** ASMUS!:clap Wasn't even going to pick this guy up as had my eye on Thorin and Bilbo, but Gimli is AMAZING. ASMUS can be truly proud of this one....thank you for the care you went to with him!:bouncin:bouncin:bouncin

Looks fantastic, TimeMeddler!

To all the people replacing the chain mail, how are you getting Gimli’s belt/harness off?

Looks fantastic, TimeMeddler!

To all the people replacing the chain mail, how are you getting Gimli’s belt/harness off?

I had to cut the belt on mine and re-glue it back together over the chainmail and surcoat. You can’t really notice it and it’s round the back, so you’d never see it anyway.

I had to cut the belt on mine and re-glue it back together over the chainmail and surcoat. You can’t really notice it and it’s round the back, so you’d never see it anyway.

Thanks. That’s what I was afraid of. I guess I have a decision to make!

I got a chain mail “coat” from a parted-out Coo Models Viking set. I think it will look pretty good, and it’s a bit thick/spongy, so I think it will even help bulk him up a bit.

Finally finished my work on old Gimli.
-worked out an undercoat made of fabric painted like chainmail
-fattened the belly and rearranged the belt accordingly
-removed the double neck articulation
-made two new pleather loops for the axes...now they hang lower and better.

Gimli1.jpgGimli2.jpgGimli3.jpgGimli4.jpg

Hey those pleather loops look awesome!! How did you attach them to the base belt?! I'd love to try that out myself if it's a fairly simple change?

Just received my Gimli. I can't get both axes into the holder.

Yep. I ended up splitting my front loop at the base. Same complaint in some online reviews. I just left mine split as it's hard to see and now works as kind of a clip for the second axe. I might fix later w. caulk or other. Or might replace w. leather.

But like YT reviews suggest - IMO it's possible to heat and stretch, maybe. Haven't tried. But u could try heating axe clip and while warm, use some sort of large heated nail or so something to stretch the clip out - like stretching a shoe.

I'll try that when I get Gimli #2. Other than that - someone didn't consider the ends of the axes are wider than the handles and would need to be able to fit through.

117764fff2d7e933c29eef546aa10b80.jpg

Love this guy. Looks fantastic on the detolf with my other Asmus figures. Definitely my favorite so far. I didn’t have time to futz with him after work but I think he looks amazing right out of the box. Only issues I’ve found so far is the chainmail doesn’t seem like it’s going to last very long. (It’s a thick material but it’s pretty tight around the elbows) Regardless, his clothing, paint, rooted hair and weapons are outstanding.

Thank you Asmus and keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got My figure yesterday and WOW! quick question is there any way realistically to get the axes on his belt without breaking something?

Only as suggested with heat and stretching the plastic. Since I broke my front loop as I was rushing *shrug*.

The problem seems to be the axe ends that are a bit wider than the rest of handle.

With Gimli #2 I'll try wrapping most of fig for protection, then blasting with heat and using warmed metal rod (like the huge nails for decks etc)
to stretch the plastic, and wriggle axes in while everything is warm.

The back loop is a bit larger than the front, so that one wasn't the problem.

Worst case remove whole thing and replace w. real leather - good luck! IMO this is an amazing figure - just a fantastic job so I don't mind futzing.

Back