Asmus Toys: Gandalf the White

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just couldn't get the other half of the ball joint to join together with other part so ended up snipping off the pin and simply super-glued them together. I've definitely lost some articulation in the wrist but since I plan to just have him posed holding his staff with that hand, I can live with it.

Still need to do the water treatment on his cape/robe, as I tried steaming off the wrinkles (which worked) but lost the nice folds in the process.

I also still need to do Wor-Gar's neck mod but I noticed that the part inside the head sculpt that holds the ball joint is definitely pushed in deeper than the pics I've seen here in this thread. That explains why I didn't notice an issue upon initially setting up the figure.

Quick unfutzed photo. I REALLY like this figure. Can't wait for Saruman to arrive and compare the two.

GtW 2.jpg

Looks very nice! :clap

I'm sure you can get the head to sit further down a bit. Worse case, just take the neck plug out entirely.

Water treatment will do wonders too for getting all those layers to hang nicely and realistically.

I painted over the dark stitch pattern around the collar with a white paint wash. Pretty thick too as the black lines come through when it dries, so I had to do several layers until I managed to mute the contrast.

Yep, I've got some work ahead of me, on this one. After fixing the broken wrist, I just wanted to see how it looked all set up.

I'm now curious how this sculpt would have looked with rooted hair, similar to how it was done on the Saruman figure.

I just couldn't get the other half of the ball joint to join together with other part so ended up snipping off the pin and simply super-glued them together. I've definitely lost some articulation in the wrist but since I plan to just have him posed holding his staff with that hand, I can live with it.

Still need to do the water treatment on his cape/robe, as I tried steaming off the wrinkles (which worked) but lost the nice folds in the process.

I also still need to do Wor-Gar's neck mod but I noticed that the part inside the head sculpt that holds the ball joint is definitely pushed in deeper than the pics I've seen here in this thread. That explains why I didn't notice an issue upon initially setting up the figure.

Quick unfutzed photo. I REALLY like this figure. Can't wait for Saruman to arrive and compare the two.

View attachment 337798

Looks nice!... except for the head sculpt. I never picked this guy up because the head bothered me and I figured GTG would be coming out soon, which did eventually happen and Gray will display better with the fellowship than this guy. I still may pick him up though since he is still available and discounted now. That should say something.... that he's still available after being released so long ago. It has been said numerous times this guy is getting a new head. If that happens, then I would love to pick this guy up, especially considering the current price on him, but I haven't seen much conversation around this guy, nor have I seen this new head. It seems this guy has been forgotten, which is a shame.

I have to say that the sculpt has grown on me. Sure, a new sculpt would most probably be an improvement, especially if rooted hair is utilized but the current sculpt is fine with me at this time.

I still need to do the tea/coffee bath on the outfit...

I have to say that the sculpt has grown on me. Sure, a new sculpt would most probably be an improvement, especially if rooted hair is utilized but the current sculpt is fine with me at this time.

I still need to do the tea/coffee bath on the outfit...

Really? I've heard so much negativity, but I have not seen it in person so I cant judge too harshly, the pics of the elongated looking head made me hold back, and some of them look awful. I ended up getting GTG and figured that was good enough. I love the Grey figure though. That being said, Gandalf the White is now probably the cheapest Asmus figure right now. BBTS has him for $149.99, not sure you can find a 1/6 figure for less than that, except maybe a used one on Ebay.

That being said, Gandalf the White is now probably the cheapest Asmus figure right now. BBTS has him for $149.99, not sure you can find a 1/6 figure for less than that, except maybe a used one on Ebay.

Except for Tauriel ($139 at BBTS) and Bard ($146).

None was every promised for this release. They talked about a head replacement many years ago now but that never materialized. I think they have moved on.

I wonder if there will be any way to buy a Gandalf the White WITH an improved head sculpt down the road...

I don't know. Even with the assurance that we would indeed be offered better head sculpts for both figures my optimism is running this. It's been a long time and we haven't heard or seen anything for awhile.

I don't know. Even with the assurance that we would indeed be offered better head sculpts for both figures my optimism is running this. It's been a long time and we haven't heard or seen anything for awhile.

Which is odd, given that alternate sculpts have been produced for all the Hobbits & Aragorn, as well as the option of sculpted/rooted hair at purchase for Boromir. I actually popped on Gandalf the White in Spring 2016, warts & all, because the company had said that a 2.0 sculpt would be offered to those who purchased the original figure. I'm still hoping :impatient:

Back