Asmus Toys : Gandalf the Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically you soak the clothes with water and let them dry after shaping them the way you like. The water will give the fabric enough weight to hold most of the shapes until dried.
You can do it rough (just soak the full clothed figure in water and let it dry), a little more gently (spray the clothes with water and shape them) or you can even remove the clothes, soak them, put them on a stand (a spare body you have) and when they are dried put them back on your figure.

Fantastic advice, thanks very much, Picking my Gandalf up today, a little later than expected, but hey, I wouldn't dare accuse him of arriving late! :rotfl

That's probably why they went with Hobbit packaging after seeing that the production piece isn't like fellowship. :lol

True, but I'm still bummed they scrapped the FOTR sculpt. And I don't see the logic in displaying a Hobbit Gandalf with the Fellowship... And it was originally advertised as a LOTR Gandalf, so the complaint isn't exactly unwarranted.

I'm well aware that I probably sound like a broken record in this thread... :lol

True, but I'm still bummed they scrapped the FOTR sculpt. And I don't see the logic in displaying a Hobbit Gandalf with the Fellowship... And it was originally advertised as a LOTR Gandalf, so the complaint isn't exactly unwarranted.

I'm well aware that I probably sound like a broken record in this thread... :lol

Don't worry...I had this figure preordered on Sideshow, despite how this was probably my most anticipated figure of the year (this or Captain America), I ended up cancelling it because the sculpt just made me miserable. I had no idea what Asmus was thinking, promising up a full Fellowship but providing us with a Hobbit Gandalf.

That said, seeing the pictures lately, plus the realization that we will probably never get another Gandalf figure this good, I am probably going to place a new order for this figure. Perhaps I can get a custom head sculpt, or just learn to live with this one (which really, is probably a great LOTR Gandalf if we're only talking books, not films...but we all know that isn't the trend in the 21st century, lol).

Either way, the more I see pictures, I am regretting cancelling this more and more as each day goes by, so I think I am going to put my faith into Asmus to give us good sculpts for Boromir, Faramir, Eomer, Theodon, Legolas, Elrond, Thranduil and hopefully Haldir. If they do, I'll apologize for ever doubting them in the first place. I really want Asmus as a company, and this line in particular, to succeed.

Don't worry...I had this figure preordered on Sideshow, despite how this was probably my most anticipated figure of the year (this or Captain America), I ended up cancelling it because the sculpt just made me miserable. I had no idea what Asmus was thinking, promising up a full Fellowship but providing us with a Hobbit Gandalf.

That said, seeing the pictures lately, plus the realization that we will probably never get another Gandalf figure this good, I am probably going to place a new order for this figure. Perhaps I can get a custom head sculpt, or just learn to live with this one (which really, is probably a great LOTR Gandalf if we're only talking books, not films...but we all know that isn't the trend in the 21st century, lol).

Either way, the more I see pictures, I am regretting cancelling this more and more as each day goes by, so I think I am going to put my faith into Asmus to give us good sculpts for Boromir, Faramir, Eomer, Theodon, Legolas, Elrond, Thranduil and hopefully Haldir. If they do, I'll apologize for ever doubting them in the first place. I really want Asmus as a company, and this line in particular, to succeed.

I'm with you fellas. I keep visiting this thread hoping to see some pics that will change my mind and make me un-cancel this but it hasn't happened yet. I don't see Gandalf from the films at all in the sculpt, and would actually be totally fine with a books version but this doesn't represent that to me either. Maybe it's not even the likeness, but a lack of the wizard-y charm/mischief/wisdom/intensity that McKellen did so well. I know Gandalf has a lot on his mind but, to me, the expression on this seems like he's just kind of over it.

All that said, it's awesome that people are enjoying him and that Asmus is handling this line with zeal. I'm hoping high that they really nail Frodo, and eventually Gollum as well.

Here are some tips. Cutting out some cloth or felt to help protect the base before screwing the rock down, it sort of works. The sword loops are too loose, so i used small metal rings to tighten the loop. Next the hat, pinch the inner cone and stitch tightly a bend maybe 1mm deep, 1cms or so apart, i put in 3 stitches to get the hat sitiing back. Hope something here helps.
My ankles are possibly loose, not sure as the clothed figure is weighty, which wont help. A waist grabber would have been ideal, so will swap that out. Very sorry for the rubbish pictures from my phone.

dd8e8145021281a5f13eb990873f588c.jpg

33ee1e61c803bd6cd0659382d1ff2362.jpg

e81b1615536ca5cdccce74e618d0096f.jpg

c0cefb8e28e0d6e218699904dd012b31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful mod for the hat. I've been thinking what I will do to alter it when I get mine in. This is a much better solution than a wire skeleton that I was going to go with. :clap

That modded version is a great tolkien book version so to speak, but if asmus released a similar style their would be an angry riot from movie collectors. Much respect for the hard work involved in such a mod as its very beautifully skillful and unique.

That modded version is a great tolkien book version so to speak, but if asmus released a similar style their would be an angry riot from movie collectors. Much respect for the hard work involved in such a mod as its very beautifully skillful and unique.

I think I would have to agree.

Me either but based on past experience a few of mine didn't arrive until 1-2 weeks after they started showing up in the States. I am in Florida but I don't know if that factors into it.

just got this email from BBTS: "Your preorder item(s) have arrived and we have processed your order. "

:blissy

Didn't want to make everyone cry, but if you want to see the LOTR Gandalf mod that Jake Rahmier did, click the link.
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...hmier84-paint-mods-comissions-closed-812.html

Incredible skills on the rooting (expecially the beard) but everything else is the old SSC GtG, a nice 10-years-ago figure (when repainted).

By the way I received my Gandalf today and I really enjoy the progress Asmus is doing one figure after the other!
I dig the sculpt very much (but I'll probably retouch the eyebrows for a more LOTR look), nice work on the hair (no particular bald areas on mine), superb work on clothes and weathering (FINALLY!); positively surprised by the base too..I tought it could bee too heavy but that's not the case. Not sure if I'm gonna go with Moria, btw.
Downsides: the figure stands on his own but ankles are indeed a bit loose, I'll probably unboot them and do the superglue trick on the ball joint. Not particularly in love with the belts (expecially the blue with those ultra white prints) and the sword (no runes and still pretty ugli on the hilt like GtW, but at least not so shiny). I'll probably change them.

Here are some tips. Cutting out some cloth or felt to help protect the base before screwing the rock down, it sort of works. The sword loops are too loose, so i used small metal rings to tighten the loop. Next the hat, pinch the inner cone and stitch tightly a bend maybe 1mm deep, 1cms or so apart, i put in 3 stitches to get the hat sitiing back. Hope something here helps.
My ankles are possibly loose, not sure as the clothed figure is weighty, which wont help. A waist grabber would have been ideal, so will swap that out. Very sorry for the rubbish pictures from my phone.

dd8e8145021281a5f13eb990873f588c.jpg

33ee1e61c803bd6cd0659382d1ff2362.jpg

e81b1615536ca5cdccce74e618d0096f.jpg

c0cefb8e28e0d6e218699904dd012b31.jpg

See, what scares me about trying something like this is that I am not somebody who knows how to futz with collectibles like this. I just got into this hobby earlier this year. Until this point, my collecting was hockey memorabilia...things you DON'T want to touch. So I'm terrified to try stuff like this and risk screwing up a figure I technically shouldn't even be buying right now in the first place (until I pay down my credit cards a little bit more...first year home owner problems).

That, and I don't even know where to find rings that small and stitches. So it's a little harder than just modding it to make it better, you know?

@RandomHero its ok not having rings, string would work too. Congrats on your new home, gandalf wont mind waiting a little while longer

I simply glued the ends of my straps to make them tighter and the result was great! I applied glue to a paperclip and used that to spread it onto the inside of the straps (detached from the belt of course)

f2f11efc7bce1a11b166e6b5e7bba784.jpg

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Back