Asmus Toys : Frodo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently started collecting Asmus lotr figures. I’ve purchase 2 different Frodo figures, both of the figures eyes look dark to me. What batch has bright blue eyes?

Ok so here my issue, I have purchased 2 slim versions the 1st from Ebay and the second from bats and both my figures have greenish eyes and unpainted skin?

Basically the first batch of Slim Frodos had superior paint applications and blue eyes whereas the second batch came with paler skin and dark green eyes. Asmus have since offered a free upgrade to those who bought the second batch and were unhappy with the quality of the head but they have gone quiet since offering this. It sounds like you have two of the second batch sadly. Hopefully Asmus will give an update soon as to when they will be sending out the replacement heads. Hope that clears it up for you.

It isn't just the Slim versions that are the problem -- it is also the full Frodo pack. All the current ones have the improper paint apps.

The good paint apps came in a short initial offering for Frodo -- which was just prior to the Slim and 2nd batch of regular Frodos that ended up having the inferior paint. Unfortunately, Asmus continued to use their v1 paint apps in their marketing even though the figure you received had the inferior v2 paint apps.

It isn't just the Slim versions that are the problem -- it is also the full Frodo pack. All the current ones have the improper paint apps.

The good paint apps came in a short initial offering for Frodo -- which was just prior to the Slim and 2nd batch of regular Frodos that ended up having the inferior paint. Unfortunately, Asmus continued to use their v1 paint apps in their marketing even though the figure you received had the inferior v2 paint apps.

I think you're a bit confused.
The original, "full" release of Frodo had an inferior likeness headsculpt.
Some time after the full release sold out, they offered a "Slim" release with a superior headsculpt and fewer accessories. At the same time, they solicited "expansion" packs for those who bought the original "full" release so those who owned it could upgrade their headsculpt.
The first wave of "Slim" releases that shipped had a better paint app on the head with the deeper blue eyes. However, when Asmus shipped the second wave of "slims", as well as the Expansion Packs, those heads suffered from inferior paint apps (greenish eyes).
I ordered both an Expansion Pack as well as a full "Slim" figure direct from Asmus when they were both solicited. I was lucky to get a full figure from the first wave, with the superior paint apps. My Expansion Pack, though, has the "updated" inferior pant scheme.

I think you're a bit confused.
The original, "full" release of Frodo had an inferior likeness headsculpt.
Some time after the full release sold out, they offered a "Slim" release with a superior headsculpt and fewer accessories. At the same time, they solicited "expansion" packs for those who bought the original "full" release so those who owned it could upgrade their headsculpt.
The first wave of "Slim" releases that shipped had a better paint app on the head with the deeper blue eyes. However, when Asmus shipped the second wave of "slims", as well as the Expansion Packs, those heads suffered from inferior paint apps (greenish eyes).
I ordered both an Expansion Pack as well as a full "Slim" figure direct from Asmus when they were both solicited. I was lucky to get a full figure from the first wave, with the superior paint apps. My Expansion Pack, though, has the "updated" inferior pant scheme.

Yes, you are correct. I misused the terms -- thinking the 'slim' was the expansion head-only pack.

I was not so lucky with my Slim and received an inferior paint job on my Frodo as you likely remember.

I'm a little ticked that this hasn't been address in some time. I feel like I'm going to be stuck with this head as Asmus moves on to other figures and the promise of replacement disappears like so many others.

Asmus promised a free gandalf the white new head for people that have bought gandalf the grey from their webshop... after 4 years it's safe to assume that we'll see a new gtw but no free head upgrade... i think that the same will happen for frodo...

Inviato dal mio SM-A520F utilizzando Tapatalk

I asked about both Gandalf and Frodo heads at their FB page, and they answered this:
we are still working out how to do it the best way for everyone.. we will announce it when ready
I suppose that means there is hope.

Hope? If that response was for Frodo alone, then maybe it would give me hope... but someone said that they've been "discussing" the Gandalf head for 4 years. I think that makes me nervous.

Honestly, at this point I have zero problem paying for a replacement Gandalf the White portrait (especially if it's an upgrade with rooted hair and beard). I know they made a promise back in the day, but sometimes the best laid plans don't work out. As long as they're clear with us, I'm fine with it. I'm not going to hold it against them if they can't make a free upgrade for everybody work out from a business perspective. As long as they're up front and honest about it, I won't feel mistreated as a customer.

The Frodo situation is a little different, though. That's just a repaint of a sculpt that already exists. Plus, there honestly can't be that many people who got the green-eyed head. Unlike GtW, the problem wasn't with every single one they made. It was a much smaller subset of the total number of Frodos sold.

Honestly, at this point I have zero problem paying for a replacement Gandalf the White portrait (especially if it's an upgrade with rooted hair and beard). I know they made a promise back in the day, but sometimes the best laid plans don't work out. As long as they're clear with us, I'm fine with it. I'm not going to hold it against them if they can't make a free upgrade for everybody work out from a business perspective. As long as they're up front and honest about it, I won't feel mistreated as a customer.

The Frodo situation is a little different, though. That's just a repaint of a sculpt that already exists. Plus, there honestly can't be that many people who got the green-eyed head. Unlike GtW, the problem wasn't with every single one they made. It was a much smaller subset of the total number of Frodos sold.

Totally agree with this. Especially the bold.

:goodpost: You're right !
:)

A promise it's a promise... in addiction it seems that it may not be a gandalf the gray and gandalf the white upgrade pack... from what they stated they are not sure because they have improved even the accessory and the final price for the upgrade it's too hight to be convenient... but i have bought both gandalf the grey and white from them because they promised a free gtw head... and now i risk to have to buy both the dolls again... even a repaint of all frodo heads it's a big cost for them
.. and to be right i remember that they promised a complete new frodo for all people that have bought the upgrade pack... not just the head...

Did they actually promise though? I know they said they were trying/working on getting us a new headsculpt but I do not know if Asmus ever officially stated that they would send out free upgraded headsculpts. It definently did not say it on the product pages. Don’t get me wrong it stinks that you bought figures you knew you did not like because you believed they were going to give you a free upgrade that would turn them into figures that you did not want to risk missing out on but in my opinion it falls under the painful lessons learned mistake and not under broken promises. Hopefully Asmus will do something for those that bought the original and just want to upgrade the headsculpt. They have in the past with the hobbits so maybe they will find a way to let people buy just the head for a fee.

I'm pretty sure I remember them saying if you bought the Gray you would get the White headsulpt. If it doesn't happen though oh well. I would hate to think that they may not make a figure I want because they lost some profit having to give away a free head sculpt.

Did they actually promise though? I know they said they were trying/working on getting us a new headsculpt but I do not know if Asmus ever officially stated that they would send out free upgraded headsculpts. It definently did not say it on the product pages. Don’t get me wrong it stinks that you bought figures you knew you did not like because you believed they were going to give you a free upgrade that would turn them into figures that you did not want to risk missing out on but in my opinion it falls under the painful lessons learned mistake and not under broken promises. Hopefully Asmus will do something for those that bought the original and just want to upgrade the headsculpt. They have in the past with the hobbits so maybe they will find a way to let people buy just the head for a fee.
Asmus stated the free gtw headsculpt here on sideshow freaks... like they did for frodo new one... same identical situation...

Back