Asmus Toys Evil Dead 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an owner of the "luxury" I score this around 80%.
Disappointed by the fixed torso and other things. There are legit issues and false issues like pants not fitting spoiler alert, they do fit.

It's also a matter of perspective. I mainly collect statues and custom lifesize busts in the +2-3k range. My annual salary is +250k usd and I am fortunate to have the disposable income that can support my purchases. I don't volunteer this info to brag or create a divide, but to illustrate some perspective. A 350 dollar figure does not impact me the same as some who have to save and budget, therefore it's eaiser to look beyond issues same as those who collect NECA do. They rationalize that a 25 dollar NECA is affordable and decent for the price and didn't break their bank. Well, a 350 dollar figure has the impact on my take home to dollar spent ratio. I am not excusing it, justifying it or anything, but from my perspective, I am not upset about the money I paid. So don't come down on someone like me who bought it, can afford it and enjoys it. If this had broke my budget and or I had to save diligently to buy it and then the quality was not proportionate to my financial sacrifice, I would be upset. But guess what, for me I was like " hmm, it could have been better but I love Ash and this is good enough for the economic impact it had on me" I have every much a right to my opinions as anyone else.
This is the biggest humble brag post I’ve ever read in my life. #imkindofabigdeal

This is the biggest humble brag post I’ve ever read in my life. #imkindofabigdeal
Nope. Just giving perspective. Anyone who goes around bragging about their salary as though it defines them or somehow makes them better than their brothers and sisters is a small insecure person. I am just pointing out the fact that just because we view and empathize a situation based on our own situation and point of view does not mean this observation is applicable across the board.

I believe my example of how many people forgive a NECA figure for its shortcomings based on its affordable price point is a valid way to illustrate how this same may apply to a figure at a higher price point when it has the same economic impact in relation to their income to expenditure ratio.

This post was not meant to "flex" it was meant to remind people to not be so quick to judge others based on their own feelings and beliefs.

Nope. Just giving perspective. Anyone who goes around bragging about their salary as though it defines them or somehow makes them better than their brothers and sisters is a small insecure person. I am just pointing out the fact that just because we view and empathize a situation based on our own situation and point of view does not mean this observation is applicable across the board.

I believe my example of how many people forgive a NECA figure for its shortcomings based on its affordable price point is a valid way to illustrate how this same may apply to a figure at a higher price point when it has the same economic impact in relation to their income to expenditure ratio.

This post was not meant to "flex" it was meant to remind people to not be so quick to judge others based on their own feelings and beliefs.
I understand what your saying. In the end of the day it's the saying "it's your money" so by all means people have a right to buy what they like. Does the figure have problems, yes it does and Asmus has a lot to learn from this whole experience. Though those who still went ahead, and bought it are doing so because they want this figure and doing any kind of Mods is the choice of the individual, I got the standard and will definitely mod mine. Those who aren't happy with it or are upset with how the release was handled don't have to buy it, that's definitely a choice also. But they shouldn't gaslight people who have bought it and are happy with it flaws and all.

I understand what your saying. In the end of the day it's the saying "it's your money" so by all means people have a right to buy what they like. Does the figure have problems, yes it does and Asmus has a lot to learn from this whole experience. Though those who still went ahead, and bought it are doing so because they want this figure and doing any kind of Mods is the choice of the individual, I got the standard and will definitely mod mine. Those who aren't happy with it or are upset with how the release was handled don't have to buy it, that's definitely a choice also. But they shouldn't gaslight people who have bought it and are happy with it flaws and all.
Yes. Also I absolutely love customizing my things. I do it on statues and figures. I was always looking forward to playing with this one and am actually happy with the possibilities to customize it. That said I agree with what others have stated that while anyone not new to the hobby knows there is always a downgrade from hand painted prototype to factory production, there is a threshold of what is acceptable and I believe this release is below the expected/acceptable drop in quality. It's not fair to the consumer and borderlines a scam or misrepresentation. (Not to mention their shady showing of the prototype Henrietta as a production piece)

I am 50 years old and Evil Dead is near and dear to me. My best friend and I would rent videocassettes from the mom and pop video store in the 80s and spend weekends watching movies like these. Evil dead was always special and the nostalgia allows me to hold on to a part of my childhood where everything was perfect. I am guilty of allowing my nostalgia glasses to overlook things (quality issues) right or wrong because I so badly want tangible items to place on my shelf as a physical manifestation of warm memories that would otherwise just linger in my memory.

Ok. Ill stop the wordy self indulgent posts now :D

Funny how this thread became a thread dedicated to fixing the $350 figure so that it is acceptable…not “improving” by the way…FIXING.
It would be funny if Asmus weighed in from time to time and also offered potential solutions.
They did once, in the Crown Gandalf thread.. they give a very rough DIY instructions to cut a hole in Gandalf's staff to insert/slide in the pipe for those unlucky customers (which turns out to be many) who didn't get the holed staff.
If I remember correctly, their instruction is "it's pretty easy to cut the hole on the staff for the pipe to slide in, you can do it yourself".

So hopefully they tried to do the same here, only thing is, they need to do better solutions for this figure.

Last edited:
As an owner of the "luxury" I score this around 80%.
Disappointed by the fixed torso and other things. There are legit issues and false issues like pants not fitting spoiler alert, they do fit.

It's also a matter of perspective. I mainly collect statues and custom lifesize busts in the +2-3k range. My annual salary is +250k usd and I am fortunate to have the disposable income that can support my purchases. I don't volunteer this info to brag or create a divide, but to illustrate some perspective. A 350 dollar figure does not impact me the same as some who have to save and budget, therefore it's eaiser to look beyond issues same as those who collect NECA do. They rationalize that a 25 dollar NECA is affordable and decent for the price and didn't break their bank. Well, a 350 dollar figure has the impact on my take home to dollar spent ratio. I am not excusing it, justifying it or anything, but from my perspective, I am not upset about the money I paid. So don't come down on someone like me who bought it, can afford it and enjoys it. If this had broke my budget and or I had to save diligently to buy it and then the quality was not proportionate to my financial sacrifice, I would be upset. But guess what, for me I was like " hmm, it could have been better but I love Ash and this is good enough for the economic impact it had on me" I have every much a right to my opinions as anyone else.

To be the yin to Brians yang I'm in the completely opposite category. You could probably put me under the title of "starving artist." For my money $350 was too much to justify something with so many issues and inaccuracies. So I canceled and I was happy to do so. As the debate raged here I started to realize the things I hated most about this were in the luxury version. I'm not fond of the head either but I knew kitbashing the entire figure would likely cost just as much as the standard. So I reluctantly ordered the cheaper option. Hilariously, I quit the majority of 1/6th collecting due to the prices and went to NECA toys. lmao

I agree with prior comments/observations about how this thread took a turn.

It went from outrage and calling out the brand's faults and wrongs with this release to now a forced perspective on how what's wrong the luxury set can be fixed by those with the experience and skills to do (i.e., customizers) and indirectly if you're not a customizer, then it sucks to be you because you're out of luck in fixing it without spending $ based on how you want it fixed.

The context of how the brand is getting away with it again and collectors in general are having to accept it as is with presumably supporting videos that basically accepts and validates its faults to the point of being picky and trivial supports it.

The brand is having the last laugh with the position they got our $ and there is nothing they can do. They can complain all they want, but those suckers will fall for it again and we have those who excused us to thank.

So hopefully they tried to do the same here, only thing is, they need to do better solutions for this figure.
--

Given the turn of this thread along with other factors outside of CF, it's very unlikely.

They got away with it again and they're being absolved based on a number of post-released comments and reviews.

If you continue to keep optimism for the future, it's very misplaced.

--

Given the turn of this thread along with other factors outside of CF, it's very unlikely.

They got away with it again and they're being absolved based on a number of post-released comments and reviews.

If you continue to keep optimism for the future, it's very misplaced.
I truly agree and understand what you said.

Personally I have taken my stance by not buying anything from asmus again, preorder or ready stock.
Unless the company changes their conduct and be responsible, honest, and fair..

But we can see that from their future releases and action. I don't think they can do anything more with this one, sadly.

I truly agree and understand what you said.

Personally I have taken my stance by not buying anything from asmus again, preorder or ready stock.
Unless the company changes their conduct and be responsible, honest, and fair..

But we can see that from their future releases and action. I don't think they can do anything more with this one, sadly.
--

For anyone who posts/says they'll never buy anything again from the brand, I doubt it.

If they produce something that you really want because it holds meaning for you, you'll fall for it again. I've observed this many times by others over the years with different brands.

Moreover, I doubt the brand was ever inclined to do anything more asides from a knee jerk cover their butt reaction.

--

For anyone who posts/says they'll never buy anything again from the brand, I doubt it.

If they produce something that you really want because it holds meaning for you, you'll fall for it again. I've observed this many times by others over the years with different brands.

Moreover, I doubt the brand was ever inclined to do anything more asides from a knee jerk cover their butt reaction.
You can bet if you will, but I'm done with asmus unless they changed their shady ways. ;)

I tried to open the stand and it was easy. Decided to put the hands in.
IMG_20220131_213225.jpg

It's kind of like moving into a new house. In the beginning you immediately notice all the little things you don't like about it and want to change/fix/upgrade, but as time goes by your eyes become accustomed to them, and your objection to most of those deficiencies begins to fade as you either accept them, stop seeing them, or simply become apathetic to them.

I'm an Evil Dead collector (figures, memorabilia, props) so it was unlikely I was ever going to cancel my pre-order, but my rage is dying down as I become accustomed to the deficiencies with this figure, and accept that I will need to make improvements at my own cost.

With that said, Asmus won't see another dime from me after this. Not solely because of this release, but because of their duplicitous conduct, and non-existent customer service. No thanks.

Well, they definitely didn't get 350 from me. lol For what they offered I didnt care for the price tag. Again, not many people have my eye for detail so they wont have the issues with accuracy like I do. Pretty much everything bad with this release was in the luxury. I bought a ten dollar ss head off ebay and will try some paints on it just for the hell of it. May not work, may look okay with the asmus head, but who knows. I honestly didnt want to put any work into this whatsoever but I decided to challenge myself to an accurate diorama build.

I won't back down from my critique of the accuracy but I will say the standard releases is a bit more acceptable.

Took some time this weekend to mess with Ash. As far away as possible about being happy with how Asmus handled all of this, but I figured I'd make the best out of a bad situation. (Apologies for the less than stellar cell phone pictures.)

View attachment 559702

View attachment 559703
Nice work! He looks great for sure, I do suggest to cut the left sleeve up a bit more remove the part covering the exposed arm's shoulder. But overall you did a good job and the JX toys body works really nice.

Appreciate it. I've been a big fan of the JXtoys body for a long time, very versatile and I was lucky enough to have one that I wasn't using for anything else. :)

Appreciate it. I've been a big fan of the JXtoys body for a long time, very versatile and I was lucky enough to have one that I wasn't using for anything else. :)
Yeah I have one for my Nathan Drake custom. And it's sold out at BBTS (luckily I have one preordered with them) it's a good body that isn't super muscular like some other bodies out there.

Took some time this weekend to mess with Ash. As far away as possible about being happy with how Asmus handled all of this, but I figured I'd make the best out of a bad situation. (Apologies for the less than stellar cell phone pictures.)

View attachment 559702

View attachment 559703

Looks awesome! body and head skin tone matches really well. What type of paints did you use?

Back