Asmus Toys Evil Dead 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like crap!

1642280269342.png

Do you think anyone at Asmus ever saw Evil Dead 2? I'm thinking no. I feel more respect and effort was put into their LOTR and DMC figures. I own their DMC V Dante and yes it had its flaws but were easily fixed. Ace Ventura was a victim too.

I ordered the standard, haven't received an invoice yet, and after the last thirty pages of this thread I am seriously on the fence about cancelling. I don't mind the head, and agree with the other poster who is thinking of converting his into a AoD Ash. May also do that, even if it means picking up the parted out head only.

However, the whole execution of this figure seems completely botched, and the extreme downgrade from the proto is blatantly obvious. And that Henrietta? Neca did a better job on theirs. I think a message needs to be sent, even if it ends up not being heard. Disappointed, but grateful I got the Sideshow version for retail before that option disappeared.

Which issues do you feel are unwarranted? I’m yet to see any that aren’t legit complaints….
1. The Deadite Ash head. They got the white/Grey eyes instead of the black proto ones. I might go as far to say the Deadite head looks better than the standard head.
2. Linda looks about average with what they showed with the proto. The hair was the wrong color from the beginning.
3. Diorama base I think looks great
4. One person had zoomed in and cropped a pic of the sculp not futzed right on the neck showing a gap.
5. I've heard people say the sculpt is
A. Too big
B. Too small
C. Too wide
D. Too narrow
For the neck/body. Can't be all of them. Which is it?

Examples of some of stuff people are looking for to add to the list.

With all its faults I actually don't hate that picture. I'm still considering canceling, but will hold out a little longer. I'm like-minded with those that see potential in this figure along with the base. The figure is $200 with the base being $150. Cost is in-line with the market; nothing crazy. I'm not defending Asmus, mind you, what they produced is not even close to what was advertised. I won't be ordering anything else from them ever. I can work with what's here. I know many don't want to do that and I get it. Why should you need to improve anything. We all have a slightly different mentality when we collect.

1. The Deadite Ash head. They got the white/Grey eyes instead of the black proto ones. I might go as far to say the Deadite head looks better than the standard head.
2. Linda looks about average with what they showed with the proto. The hair was the wrong color from the beginning.
3. Diorama base I think looks great
4. One person had zoomed in and cropped a pic of the sculp not futzed right on the neck showing a gap.
5. I've heard people say the sculpt is
A. Too big
B. Too small
C. Too wide
D. Too narrow
For the neck/body. Can't be all of them. Which is it?

Examples of some of stuff people are looking for to add to the list.
And those are all issues that have barely been mentioned after better pics came out. The whole release has been people trying to figure out this **** show. It's all part of the process and acceptable until we see the root of the problem. Those problems are perfectly clear now.

In regards to 3rd party figures, my first ever poseable figure (other than V) was VTS Ghost of Tsushima figure and it is utterly incredible. Looks better than a lot of my high priced statues and the quality of the materials is amazing. There is no excuse for this licensed Ash looking so bad and so cheap.
Since you are new to collecting, I'll tell you that in my opinion, VTS/Dam Toys is one of the very best companies doing 1/6 scale figures. Their quality is about as high as you will get whether it's military figures, Gangster Kingdom, the unlicensed film characters, etc. So, buy with confidence if you see their brand. But the 1/6 scale, 3rd party landscape is littered with horrible junk, often cheaply thrown together rehashes of high end custom figure runs, so best to take some care and do some research. Frankly, I should have done more of that with Asmus before taking the leap with this guy.

The problem could very well be the factory that they went with for this figure.
This may well be the root of the problem, but the good companies either know how to use better factories, or provide better oversight during production. This has been my critique of Sideshow vs. Hot Toys for many years. Hot Toys has figured it out. Sideshow either doesn't want to figure it out (possibly due to cost), or can't, and the proof is in the pudding. . .though ironically, Sideshow's Ash was one of the better Sideshow figures I ever had. Not Hot Toys quality, but about 10 times better than most of their GI Joe figures.

The problem could very well be the factory that they went with for this figure.
It’s not a factory issue, they have admitted to screwing up, they admitted it with Arwen (box measurements not done correctly), they admitted it with Gandalf (diorama engineering not being correct) and they have admitted it here (spelling errors, missing hair).
They’re just not good at the finer details, they have showcased that over and over.

Just got mine. Standard version right out of the box. Looks totally fine in hand. These are some phone pics.

Attachments

• 20220115_134318.jpg
    20220115_134318.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 140
  • 20220115_134113.jpg
    20220115_134113.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 20220115_134005.jpg
    20220115_134005.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220115_133947.jpg
    20220115_133947.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220115_133926.jpg
    20220115_133926.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220115_133845.jpg
    20220115_133845.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 132
  • 20220115_133859.jpg
    20220115_133859.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20220115_133906.jpg
    20220115_133906.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20220115_133936.jpg
    20220115_133936.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 136
Maybe Asmus and Trick r Treat Studios shared the same factory with this and TrTS Halloween Accessories Set 😆
I thought the same thing. :duff
I'm thinking their slot to use the factory was set and Asmus wasn't ready. Instead of waiting for their next window, which is what they should have done, and producing a better product they said **** it let's get it out now.

I thought the same thing. :duff
I'm thinking their slot to use the factory was set and Asmus wasn't ready. Instead of waiting for their next window, which is what they should have done, and producing a better product they said **** it let's get it out now.
Rush it out before Chinese New Year.

Since you are new to collecting, I'll tell you that in my opinion, VTS/Dam Toys is one of the very best companies doing 1/6 scale figures. Their quality is about as high as you will get whether it's military figures, Gangster Kingdom, the unlicensed film characters, etc. So, buy with confidence if you see their brand. But the 1/6 scale, 3rd party landscape is littered with horrible junk, often cheaply thrown together rehashes of high end custom figure runs, so best to take some care and do some research. Frankly, I should have done more of that with Asmus before taking the leap with this guy.
Thank you very much for the tips! I'm not new to collecting in general (I've been a statue and non-poseable figure collector for over a decade) but I'd never had any interest at all in poseable, real clothed figures until I saw VTS' Ghost of Tsushima. I was blown away by the appearance and the feel of quality from all the materials used!

I've also now got a few Threezero figures: Kaiman from Dorohedoro, Guts Berserker version and their limited edition Berserker Guts. I saw some negative comments in here about Threezero, but I cannot fault the figures I have at all. They feel very high quality and Gut's limited edition head is the closest I've seen any figure get to his likeness. I guess their figures are hit or miss for some people, but have been hits for me so far, especially at their price points.

I'm surprised at Ash looking this way. I know Asmus are notorious for likeness issues, but their V figure looks pretty much exactly like him and his seamless tattooed arms are excellent, so seeing the Ash arms was a shock!

So as it stands now, once I receive my luxury edition:
The stock body and clothes will get the Deadite Ash build. With stump hand. Will weather him up.
"Hero/Good" Ash will get a new body I have waiting. Ordered a second pair of pants. New belt with correct buckle found in my parts drawer. Going on the base. Will be weathering and bloody-ing him up as well.

Will be adding real hair to Henrietta if mine comes without.

Might repaint the Possessed hand and chainsaw. Will see.

Linda I may dye her hair or might even rehair her as well. Will see.

Wonder if Ashes sculpt is solid or if heat would work to "push in" the puffy sides without screwing with the face? 🤔

Definitely a lot of work coming.

Still waiting on 3rd party cell phone pics up close with the flash on so I can expertly critique this figure from my couch. That's the proper way.
Also looking at the latest pics posted here I see the fly on the pants does close, but the arms and legs do not bend.

Here’s a little dose of sad reality…
This figure is going to SELL OUT…and prove to be a highly profitable release for Asmus, encouraging them to do an even worse job on their next release.
How many people on this thread are saying “wow…Asmus dropped the ball on this…but, nothing I can’t fix with a pint of paint…heck, I’m kinda looking forward to it!”
Heaven forbid one can just be a toy collector without having ANY interest whatsoever in having to actually MAKE a toy!
Imagine if the screen went black as the portals opened near the end of Avengers Endgame and a message showed up on the screen telling you to leave the theater, buy a camcorder and costumes, grab 50 of your closest friends, and film the end of the movie in your own backyard if you want to find out how it ends?
To say nothing of the 96% of people who will buy this that don’t even know about this site.
Asmus will weather the social media storm and laugh all the way to the bank.
Reading 12 toy collector’s comments online doesn’t cost Asmus a penny.
As long as folks are ready and willing to pay $350 to rebuild a garbage figure, Asmus and others like them will keep churning it out.

Back