Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok last time I comment tonight I promise.
ASMUS, what about those of us who would like both head sculpts? Is it possible to order the sculpted hair figure and an extra head sculpt with the haired version so I don't have to buy two figures? Will you be releasing just the head sculpt like you did with Aragorn?

It does look better than the Threezero Ned Stark sculpt.
I'm not sure if I'm going to pre-order but I'll have to since I was planning on getting the whole fellowship. :/

photo_902277_thumb.jpg

It does look better than the Threezero Ned Stark sculpt.
I'm not sure if I'm going to pre-order but I'll have to since I was planning on getting the whole fellowship. :/

View attachment 346839
You're joking! Three Zero's is FAR superior with only the paint letting it down. I see nothing of Sean Bean in this at all. Shocking effort and surprised so many in here are so easily pleased.

Yeah the profile view look much nicer. There's definitely something off here...

Oh.. and my obligatory complaint: The Elven Broach.. It's still vertical.. :slap

You're joking! Three Zero's is FAR superior with only the paint letting it down. I see nothing of Sean Bean in this at all. Shocking effort and surprised so many in here are so easily pleased.

I don't think so many are "easily pleased". They just accept the fact, like I do, that Asmus head sculpts are never 100%.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I can choose to buy these figures, where the head sculpt is good and everything else is outstanding or I can not have any newer LOTR figures. I choose to have LOTR figures. It's as simple as that.

And if someone down the road releases better LOTR figures I will probably buy them as well.

This hobby is all about updating your collection. I have a lot of military figures. When 21st Century Toys came out I was blown away buy them. Then came Dragon and bbi. Well my 21st Century Toys soldiers weren't so awesome anymore. Then came Hot Toys, and Soldier Story, and Dam.

I have the Sideshow Toys LOTR figures. I was pretty happy with those. Now Asmus figures make those look pretty bad.

I am glad to see Boromir up for PO. Amazing work on the costumes and accessories as always, and the option to choose which head is such a great option for collectors, bravo!
Unfortunately though I too think the likeness needs a lot of work yet (the original 3D model looks so much closer). I am no expert so could just be paint rather than resculpt, but I am going to hold off a little before I order I think.

I ordered the rooted hair of course. It is not spot on but no where near as off as the first Hobbit release heads. He looks a little glassy eyed and with the squint gives a faint stoned impression but I can live with it. Thranduil was so awesome in hand that I have high hopes for the actual production run on this one. Once he is standing with the Fellowship I think you would be hard pressed not to figure out who it is but that being said, I do wish it was a little more Bean.

I am just stoked they are offering a rooted hair version!

Rooted hair is easily styled with any hair product you would use on your own hair. I use a pomade that I got free samples of. Comes in little circular containers and you just get a bit between your fingers and work it in but I have used gel on longer hair as well with good results. You can then style it with a thin-toothed comb or use the one that came with Chewbacca but a lot of it is done just with your fingers. I have not had to reapply gel/pomade after the initial dose. The pomade does not dry out like gel so you can restyle it for different poses as necessary and becomes an extra part to futz/pose.

I hope you guys can pull off something with a Legolas rooted option for the future.

For me, it's shocking that people see "nothing of Sean Bean" in these pictures.

18952943_10154431204437441_7946951016513641798_n.jpg
18922075_10154430977092441_1576026673471478835_n.jpg

But we've seen the same thing in all of Asmus's releases. Either you like it or you don't. And if you go in the Ned Stark thread, i'm pretty sure the first pages are full of people complaining that the sculpt is the worst they've ever seen. I had that figure and wasn't really impressed with it.

I am glad to see Boromir up for PO. Amazing work on the costumes and accessories as always, and the option to choose which head is such a great option for collectors, bravo!
Unfortunately though I too think the likeness needs a lot of work yet (the original 3D model looks so much closer). I am no expert so could just be paint rather than resculpt, but I am going to hold off a little before I order I think.

I think you're onto something about it being the paint. Compare it to the digital rendering which everyone loves.
attachment.php

BR006F.jpg

Looks almost exact to me.

I'm not sure which versions I'm going to get. I think the sculpted hair looks better as shown, but I think with some futzing the rooted hair has the potential to look good. I'm sort of leaning toward the sculpted hair since out of the box it will look better and I don't know that I want to spend time trying to get the rooted hair to look better. If given the option I would probably get both sculpts, which considering Aragorn's sculpt was $40 would probably run about $230.

Ok last time I comment tonight I promise.
ASMUS, what about those of us who would like both head sculpts? Is it possible to order the sculpted hair figure and an extra head sculpt with the haired version so I don't have to buy two figures? Will you be releasing just the head sculpt like you did with Aragorn?

I'd like to know this as well.

As is often the case with figures, they often look different in hand than in photos. So I would love the option to just buy the other head as an add-on so I can decide when they arrive which one I like better.

Overall, I'm not super-crazy about the likeness, but it does look like a great figure otherwise. Hopefully the paint apps will be tweaked on the production figures, which I think will help somewhat.

Otherwise, the outfit and accessories look terrific. And thank you for including the fur cloak!

Love the outfit. Love the gear. Love that Boromir's cloak is included this time.

Sculpt is somewhere in the middle to me. I'm assuming it will look better in hand as most Asmus sculpts tend to.

Having the option of haired or sculpted is a great option!!!

However, I was a little disappointed by the much lower price of the Slim Aragorn at BBTS... so if I order this, I will wait for the potentially lower price at BBTS. I had hoped that Asmus would keep their direct prices lower than their retailers but I guess shipping has made that impossible.

Yo guys,
I see the disappointed flooding in.

Before we do something about it, just want to be sure this is the EXACT same sculpt we showed before.

so we will have someone revisit the painting application, its no a poor paint job,
is just how to get Boromir out of it.

Before you do all that, maybe take some pictures of the figure (or head) in natural light -- like the in-hand ones you used to do (if you have the proto available).

No offense to your photographer but it may be the shadowy nature of the standard preview photos. We always seem to have the same complaints.

Yo guys,

Before we do something about it, just want to be sure this is the EXACT same sculpt we showed before.

so we will have someone revisit the painting application, its no a poor paint job,

Looking at the digital image and the straight on sculpt I can see it looks identical. It's not a bad paint job but somehow it loses some likeness somehow. If anything is wrong with it I would say it's the eyes. For some strange reason I see Melania Trumps eyes and I can't unsee it.

Yo guys,

I will say I feel bad for you and the company as a whole. Maybe the likeness isn't 100% but I don't think you or the company deserve the venom that is being posted. It's especially bad on FB.

Back