Asmus Toys: Boromir

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so pleased with the Boromir figure! It really is one of Asmus' finest realizations of a character from the films in their LotR series. The head sculpt is spot on, and rooted hair matches his look in the film.

The costume and gear for this figure are very satisfying. I wanted to put that heavy fur lined cloak on him but it sort of loaded him up a little too much. Kind of a shame not to use it.

Boromir is my eighth figure of the nine of the Fellowship of the Ring. I'm waiting for the release of Gandalf the Grey in the LotR series (rooted hair and beard) to complete the Fellowship.

Initially I was just going to get Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. But after seeing five of them assembled how could I have just six of the nine?

So whereas I was going to pass on Merry, Pippin, and Boromir, I'm so glad that I did get them. I've got Boromir standing next to the four hobbits and he just belongs there. (I wish Merry's head sculpt was a better likeness, but it's still obvious who it is.)

Also, Boromir is actually a very important character to Tolkien's epic of LotR. I've recently watched a few lecture videos on YT about LotR that remind me of that.

I am so pleased with the Boromir figure! It really is one of Asmus' finest realizations of a character from the films in their LotR series. The head sculpt is spot on, and rooted hair matches his look in the film.

The costume and gear for this figure are very satisfying. I wanted to put that heavy fur lined cloak on him but it sort of loaded him up a little too much. Kind of a shame not to use it.

Boromir is my eighth figure of the nine of the Fellowship of the Ring. I'm waiting for the release of Gandalf the Grey in the LotR series (rooted hair and beard) to complete the Fellowship.

Initially I was just going to get Gandalf, Frodo, Sam, Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. But after seeing five of them assembled how could I have just six of the nine?

So whereas I was going to pass on Merry, Pippin, and Boromir, I'm so glad that I did get them. I've got Boromir standing next to the four hobbits and he just belongs there. (I wish Merry's head sculpt was a better likeness, but it's still obvious who it is.)

Also, Boromir is actually a very important character to Tolkien's epic of LotR. I've recently watched a few lecture videos on YT about LotR that remind me of that.

I agree. Definitely one of their best IMO. Sculpt and hair are great and the outfit is perfect.
7c22838a322b817cdaba3d999bcf0147.png
I would try giving the fur lined cloak another go at futzing! It took me a while but eventually I got it to work I think. (Love that fur cloak so much I bought a spare lol).

He is most certainly an important character and one of my favorites in the book/movie. Too bad he was short sighted and believed that he would be able to master the ring and take on Sauron to defend Gondor. The rings deceit conquered Boromir but in the end he did redeem himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is most certainly an important character and one of my favorites in the book/movie. Too bad he was short sighted and believed that he would be able to master the ring and take on Sauron to defend Gondor. The rings deceit conquered Boromir but in the end he did redeem himself.

I watched a college lecture about LoTR on YT recently in which the speaker compared Boromir not to Judas, which is many folks' first association, but rather to Peter. Peter failed thrice in keeping his faith but nevertheless redeemed himself, whereas Judas does not redeem himself. Tolkien being a devout Catholic, and important moral themes of Christian faith being embedded in the story but in a way that still keeps the story a pagan one--same as the Catholic monks did with Beowulf (Tolkien was during his time the world's foremost scholar on Beowulf). And as an enduring work of art that stands firmly entirely on it's own, as art. (Versus a Christian allegory like C.S. Lewis' work.)

But anyway, strictly within the epic itself at face value... imo Boromir represents our vulnerability toward the corrupting force of power, yes. But also our capacity to falter but still try to atone, to get back up and do the right thing, to try to make things right, to never give up on the good path no matter how grave the mistake.

It is clear when reading the book that Tolkien viewed Boromir being redeemed or overcoming the evil influence in the end. It actually adds a lot of depth and a good character arc to the character.

As far as the movie goes the best way to see the internal arc is his views on Aragorn. I had to explain to my kids what a big change it was for him and what he was giving up when he went from viewing Aragorn as a mear ranger, to comrade/brother in arms, to a lord of Gondor and finally to his king.

It is clear when reading the book that Tolkien viewed Boromir being redeemed or overcoming the evil influence in the end. It actually adds a lot of depth and a good character arc to the character.

Having just finished reading the book(s) again (4th time) I agree.
But to be fair, that's clear in the films as well.

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find a headsculpt with the rooted hair. Or am i gonna have to buy the figure then sell the parts lol

I agree. Definitely one of their best IMO. Sculpt and hair are great and the outfit is perfect.
7c22838a322b817cdaba3d999bcf0147.png
I would try giving the fur lined cloak another go at futzing! It took me a while but eventually I got it to work I think. (Love that fur cloak so much I bought a spare lol).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know about that...

What did he wrong? Trying to take the ring off Frodo? No biggie, nobody got hurt, and he recovered his common sense almost immediately. Moreover, he protected the ring bearer (with great peril to his life) in many an instance (right?). The only remarkable aspect of this is, that by scaring off Frodo, he ACCIDENTALLY saved him (again) from being captured by the uruk-hai a while later (right?). That was transcendental (should the ring had fallen into Saruman's paws...), even if he did not even intend it!

After that, what did he right? He fought to death to save 2 irrelevant hobbits, who incidentally acted so dumb from time to time that both deserved but being slain! Also, his ultimately fruitless death (both hobbits were kidnapped no matter what), not only was a great loss to the free peoples of Middle Earth, but also had no impact whatsoever within the frame of the War of the Ring (except by involuntarely leaving way for Aragorn's rise to Gondor's throne!). Bluntly put: better losing both hobbits than losing Boromir! If it was not impossible, I would even go so far to say that it is the 2 hobbits that should have protected Boromir, not the other way round!

Long story short: Boromir was not as corrupt as people depict him, and he did not deserve the end he met in the book. A momentary lapse of reason could not negate his successful leadership of Gondor and his invaluable assistance to the ring bearer. His passing is a very cruel, unfair and sad event in the story. Also, what most people call his "redemption act" looks to me more like a big screwup... :-/

RfC
m.

I do not know about that...

What did he wrong? Trying to take the ring off Frodo? No biggie, nobody got hurt, and he recovered his common sense almost immediately. Moreover, he protected the ring bearer (with great peril to his life) in many an instance (right?). The only remarkable aspect of this is, that by scaring off Frodo, he ACCIDENTALLY saved him (again) from being captured by the uruk-hai a while later (right?). That was transcendental (should the ring had fallen into Saruman's paws...), even if he did not even intend it!

After that, what did he right? He fought to death to save 2 irrelevant hobbits, who incidentally acted so dumb from time to time that both deserved but being slain! Also, his ultimately fruitless death (both hobbits were kidnapped no matter what), not only was a great loss to the free peoples of Middle Earth, but also had no impact whatsoever within the frame of the War of the Ring (except by involuntarely leaving way for Aragorn's rise to Gondor's throne!). Bluntly put: better losing both hobbits than losing Boromir! If it was not impossible, I would even go so far to say that it is the 2 hobbits that should have protected Boromir, not the other way round!

Long story short: Boromir was not as corrupt as people depict him, and he did not deserve the end he met in the book. A momentary lapse of reason could not negate his successful leadership of Gondor and his invaluable assistance to the ring bearer. His passing is a very cruel, unfair and sad event in the story. Also, what most people call his "redemption act" looks to me more like a big screwup... :-/

RfC
m.

Irrelevant Hobbits? Merry and Pippin played integral roles in the battle of Isengard, the Battle of Pelenor Fields, defeating the Witch King, the Battle of Bywater, saving Faramir. etc. Between Isengard and Bywater alone they defeated Saruman twice.... Irrelevant...

Irrelevant Hobbits? Merry and Pippin played integral roles in the battle of Isengard, the Battle of Pelenor Fields, defeating the Witch King, the Battle of Bywater, saving Faramir. etc. Between Isengard and Bywater alone they defeated Saruman twice.... Irrelevant...

By the time of Boromir's demise, they were nothing but 2 silly and irrelevant hobbits with a tendency to put the fellowhip at risk and jeopardize the ring and its bearer. Their recklessness took Gandalf's life at Khazad Dum. Thus far, they were absolutely not worthy of Boromir's sacrifice.

One has to wonder about the potential of Boromir's contributions during the War of the Ring, had he survived, especially considering that by the time of his death he already was one of Aragorn's kingship supporters. Considering this, his capability to come back to his senses on the spot after trying to take the ring off Frodo, and his wealth of military knowledge (let alone his undisputed leadership in Gondor), make it extremely difficult for me to think of him as a problem further down the road, and very easy to imagine him actually kicking ass next to Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, even next to Faramir, and who knows, maybe Denethor II.

And he died saving two hobbit assess, one of which caused Gandalf's loss to the Balrog. And on top of that the poor guy has to carry the cross of being that ******* that almost took the ring, the one who redeemed himself but paid for his "crime" anyway.
Not fair.
The 2 hobbits should have died that day. Not him.
But then again... who said life is fair? Tolkien showed just how unfair it actually is. The unworthy survive the Morias of life, the worthy don't, and those who are innocent pay for the crimes of those who are guilty. Doesn't that sound to you guys like life itself?
RfC
m.

Not to not pick but if Pippin hasn’t done what he did in Moria then Gandalf the White might never have come about, the Barlog would still be alive, the hobbits might not have been taken to Isengard which might have lead to the Ents not marching and so on and so on. Only the wise can see all ends.

I think Gandalf would probably say even the wise cannot see all ends! :-D

Not to not pick but if Pippin hasn’t done what he did in Moria then Gandalf the White might never have come about, the Barlog would still be alive, the hobbits might not have been taken to Isengard which might have lead to the Ents not marching and so on and so on. Only the wise can see all ends.

OMGs you people are wrong.............

You just can't judge the little guy for the happy but totally unexpected consequences of his reckless behaviour, which might have ended up not being so happy after all!! Gandalf died because of that sucker. It took Eru itself to get him back from the place the Balrog sent him to! Ain't that enough for a stupid ****ing screwup? Had I been Boromir, I would have executed that bastard with my own sword on the spot and without thinking while exiting Moria, for jeopardizing the One Ring and thus Gondor and Middle Earth as a whole. Because the Balrog could have stayed put that night, if not for Pippin's "contribution"!! He brought no less than Durin's Bane upon the Fellowship, didn't he?? And you want to give him a medal and call him a heroe??? Would you listen to yourselves?! At that point, Tolkien's depiction of Pippin is that of a mindless troublemaker, and when you are up against Mordor, you don't want that kind in your fellowship. Pippin and Merry's arch are those of 2 childish, good-willing-but-too-dangerous *******s becoming sensible adults, while paying for their past crimes and trying to be worthy of people dying around them for The Cause.

You know, I've spent one year of my life submerged in the local politics of my hometown. In the political party I was involved with, I discovered how misserable and stupid my countryfolk actually are, just how deceiving their exterior appearance actually is, and how disappointing and anti-intelectual everybody actually is. Before you know, you are surrounded by people in their 40s with children/mortgage/car/flat/job that can go on and on for hours about their highly elaborated personal philosophies, yet are totally unable to write 2 lines in their mother tongue without committing horrendous grammar mistakes. That kind of pretending, malignant, cognitively and spiritually incompetent people, quite abundant down here, are ultimately more dangerous to the cause they mean to serve, than the most clever members of the competence. Those are the guys that can destroy a group more easily, the real "enemy within", the one you can't detect and destroy because they can't even conceive the idea that they are hurting much more than helping and thus they are the most lethal form of enemy.
To me, Pippin is one of those "servers of the cause" that hurt more than they help.

RfC
m.

For me, I guess my takeaway regarding Pippin is that unexpected things are going to happen, and the Fates are inscrutable. LotR is in a way a grand parable about power and how power so easily corrupts the soul--or the more power one has, the greater the potential to be corrupted by it, I reckon. Things like what happen with Pippin to me signify that there are always things beyond even the wisests' control. And you can say they are random, or Fate, or providence. But we're at the mercy of many things that we cannot control (we have no power over them ultimately) and it's up to us to creatively figure out how to adjust to them.

I do think it is important at a meta level that the Fellowship's members always in some way work as a team, even though the whole team got separated. Tolkien emphasizes the folly of any one individual trying to use the One Ring, as Boromir tried to do.

Back