Asmus Thorin 1/6 Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the bases you are using? I like them.

Phicen "snow soldier" bases from Monkey Depot (or the 'bay if u want to get ripped off....). MD charges a bit for shipping but IMO still a pretty good deal for repurposing Phicen bases. This one u can either pull the 3 pegs out (for the original fig) or I leave them in to help brace HTs etc. when posing.

He looks pretty good. Thanks for the quick review and pics. Sounds like I need to learn how to style doll hair. Hopefully my wife or daughter will step up and help me out. Seriously I struggle even doing ponytails for my 5 year old.

At this price point IMO like Gimli and Bilbo truly impressive work. :clap:)

LOL if u really hate dealing w. fiber hand Thorin over to wife...but it's not so bad. I think ASMUS went w. this "cottony" feeling fiber 'coz it looks right and u can kinda push it into place.

But I've got those Hobbit movie scenes stuck in my head w. all the free flowing hair, like the fight w. Azog, so I'm determined to learn hair punching. Won't be practicing on this guy tho:horror - hafta hit the dollar store and get some cheap horrible dolls for practice.

PS. Asmus did leave out the hair clips or beads that Thorin had at the back of neck - a pair of them that sort of gathered some hair loosely. He imitates that with string in DOS at Laketown - "hair jewelry" or whatever they were. Also Thorin had an ear clip. Minor stuff, but I think doing that paired loose clipping with a couple of heavy-ish silver metal beads would help w. any hair poufiness (and is screen accurate).

Thorin_hairclip.jpg

And maybe some silicon detangler etc.

Every picture I’ve seen of him sitting really brings him to life. Great figure all around! Gonna watch an unexpected journey now

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! The costume really does look phenomenal and I'm glad they nailed all the minor details on it. The hair definitely needs a bit of wax to hold the shape but it looks like an easy job :)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

For sure....:duff

Got my Hobbit marathon planned as soon as the holiday craziness if over!:joy

I typically do a LOTR marathon during the holidays but these town figures have me wanting to start at the Hobbit and watch on through to the Return of the King. Going to have to look at getting that base.

I typically do a LOTR marathon during the holidays but these town figures have me wanting to start at the Hobbit and watch on through to the Return of the King. Going to have to look at getting that base.

Town figures? Is that a typo? I don't know why, but referring to Hobbit characters as "town characters" is very comforting... Makes me want to drink some hot tea and bake cookies and light cinnamon candles.... What have you done? What does this mean?!?

Awesome photos, thanks for sharing! The costume really does look phenomenal and I'm glad they nailed all the minor details on it. The hair definitely needs a bit of wax to hold the shape but it looks like an easy job :)

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Welcome!:) - hope they help e.g. folks knowing whether he's a winner like Gimli or *cancel your PO immediately and run for it:horror*.

But this is my fav Middle Earth character, pretty much, so I'm gonna look pretty hard at any company putting out a 1/6 of him, poly or figure.

Happily for me at this price point, IMO he's up there with Gimli and Bilbo e.g. stellar sculpt, paint, and detailing:clap:clap:clap. I can't stop looking and wanting to play with him LOL. Totally geeking out over costume; ASMUS is unbelievable - there's either lining or finishing on all the layers; the brigandine scales are this perfect vinyl and they gleam like metal (I had to check); the fabrics are fine layers but they have texture that imitates the original velvets and suedes and quilting. Even the boots have a wash of weathering and faded metallic, the inset knee pads were done with embroidery; Orcrist has a wash of blues and Deathless is perfectly painted - it's insane:):clap:clap:clap!

Thorin_costume.jpg

Real vs.

ASMUS_Thorin_onsnowbase.jpg

Yeah, Thorin's hair for me out of the box got finger-combed; I brushed it out later - all that hair did look different, course, depending on the scene.
(Think it could use some wax/product on top; I might wet, re-braid to put waves back, and curl ends - depending. 'Coz of course have another Thorin on PO so there's room to play:monkey3). Customizers are gonna have fun with this one!

Can't say enough about the sculpt and paint (nice subtle tinting IMO):clap, either - like Bilbo, depending on the angle of the head, it looks like his expression changes - but overall, DEFINITELY *Majestic*:cool:. Reminds me a lot of the Jerry Vanderselt print:

DOS_Vanderselt.jpg

Anyway I'll try to stop raving about this fig now LOL:inlove. For me this was a grail tho; waaaaay back when the first mentions from ASMUS came out waz hard to believe it would happen. Lots of companies plan figs and it doesn't work out:(, so it's surreal to have such a great Bilbo and Thorin in hand. Can't wait to put him with Thranduil as well.:cool: and pull out the tools over the holidays and start making a hobbit door - maybe:dunno (or maybe I'll look at woodworkers on Etsy; I know there was someone selling wooden circles.)

Just suggest ordering sooner than later as stuff comes and goes on MD of course - the larger version of the snow base that had a tree I think is gone. But Phicen bases are great for repurposing and they are really nice! I use them for HTs as well.
The snow base in the pics isn't too heavy either if you have Detolfs - has great paint too.

Thorin has shipped. Can't wait.

Hope u enjoy as much as I do:) - just be prepared - I guess - for a bit of hair futzing - those dwarves w. all the HAIR:lol:lol. Like Gimli body is stiff and strong, so take time posing - anyway, he's awesome, I haven't even tried to fit Orcrist scabbard on yet but comes w. directions for that.

Town figures? Is that a typo? I don't know why, but referring to Hobbit characters as "town characters" is very comforting... Makes me want to drink some hot tea and bake cookies and light cinnamon candles.... What have you done? What does this mean?!?

Lol. Stupid auto text. It is supposed to be “two” meaning Bilbo and Thorin.

I wonder if you could go in and crimp the the hair a little with an eyelash curler to add some of that natual wave in that Thorin has.

I wonder if you could go in and crimp the the hair a little with an eyelash curler to add some of that natual wave in that Thorin has.

Hey - great idea! At least to curl the ends of the hair. Rows of bobby pins or paper clips too, after wetting hair down.

Guess ASMUS knew a lot wouldn't want to have to work with "silky doll hair". Me, I like *upscale* hair, which I guess means human hair or some kind of high-end fiber. But wouldn't want to sound like I'm complaining - so far re what ASMUS has accomplished in its price range, for what I own, I am very happy.

Can't imagine the thought and work and then IMO very successful production of Bilbo, Gimli, and Thorin. Am just so relieved about the sculpts, too.

Just need Dwalin now and Fili and Kili and some ponies and a dwarf bow for Thorin:monkey3

No shipping info here either....paid invoice ten days ago

Are people paying for the Fed ex? Assume that's why mine got in so fast. Also I ordered the day he was available but still had invoice balance to pay off.

I went with standard free shipping and still haven't received the notice yet. I actually paid the balance for Bilbo a few days later than I did for Thorin but he's shipped and is in customs.

I went with standard free shipping and still haven't received the notice yet. I actually paid the balance for Bilbo a few days later than I did for Thorin but he's shipped and is in customs.

Weird - supposedly there was a frenzy of people shipping from Asia? China? before some new regulations were put in:dunno. Also shippers are stuffing ships to the max before leaving the dock. Between that and the holiday think there are shipping delays.:(:slap

It seems like Bilbo's production got finished before Thorin's too. I only paid the xtra shipping $$$ coz it was the first time ordering from ASMUS directly and it was for fav characters. Usually I just wait on BBTS and SSC.

Edit: Guess you know you luv your fig when u can't stop playing with him. :lol

A couple of comments:

1) The *poufy* hair seems to settle as I work with it, especially just stroking the top with a finger - sort of relaxes w. time. Guess it depends on what u want since Thorin's hair ranged from kinda frizzed to limp/messy to flowing waves, depending. For me both Thorin and Thranduil are scheduled for a vinegar/cream rinse/fabric softener rinse to soften everything up:cool: - personally I think sculpts this good deserve mohair wigs:monkey3 etc. but maybe down the road...plus Thorin is gonna get the back hair beads/clips when I can source something. A bit of heat, like stroking w. a warm spoon, might work re any poufiness too.

2) The lower part of Thorin's fur jacket, but not the back, is apparently wired at the edge, so u can get some "windblown" poses.

3) Both Thorin and Gimli pose well, but stiff - I keep feelin' them up underneath the clothes layers to make sure I know what I am doing. The stiffness is good!!!! Way to go ASMUS on the bodies and ankles!

Just really enjoying the **** out of Gimli, Thorin, and Bilbo:). Hope ASMUS sends shipping notices soon!

Thorin_Oakenshield_ASMUS2.jpg

What’s the deal with this figure? I’m seeing a lot of ads on eBay, Asmus has had him up for preorder. Where can I get this figure from?

??? Check your favorite 1/6 retailer if you want to PO; Sideshow, BBTS, Timewalker, etc. U see ebay ads 'coz Chinese sellers can get him direct from ASMUS Hong Kong. U can get him that way if u trust seller.

Or order direct from ASMUS and pay Fed Ex shipping - only reason I have him in hand. Apparently w. regular shipping from ASMUS and/or deliveries to stores like Sideshow, both Thorin and Bilbo are stuck on a ship or something.

E.g. I'm waiting on POs to come in from Sideshow on Bilbo #2 and Thorin #2 but don't expect to see them until January. But if you want *immediate gratification* u will have to pay to speed up shipping from ASMUS or ebay sellers.

How long did to take you to get yours from Asmus?

??? Check your favorite 1/6 retailer if you want to PO; Sideshow, BBTS, Timewalker, etc. U see ebay ads 'coz Chinese sellers can get him direct from ASMUS Hong Kong. U can get him that way if u trust seller.

Or order direct from ASMUS and pay Fed Ex shipping - only reason I have him in hand. Apparently w. regular shipping from ASMUS and/or deliveries to stores like Sideshow, both Thorin and Bilbo are stuck on a ship or something.

E.g. I'm waiting on POs to come in from Sideshow on Bilbo #2 and Thorin #2 but don't expect to see them until January. But if you want *immediate gratification* u will have to pay to speed up shipping from ASMUS or ebay sellers.

Back