Asmus 1/6 Lord of the Rings - Bilbo Baggins

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't decide if I like the expression enough to buy this figure.

The sculpt is actually quite good. It looks exactly like Ian Holm as Bilbo. You know exactly who you're looking at when you see it.

I know Bilbo wasn't always cheery in the Fellowship, but I prefer to think of Bilbo as a cheery hobbit, one who told exciting stories, gave fun speeches and smiled when he saw his friend Gandalf. Going to have to think about this for a while.

Bush base? Sigh. I needed the Bag End. Also this portrait IMO is kinda grim.
I kinda hope they release the Bag End piece for sale by itself. There will be some people who don't want Bilbo, but do want Bag End to display with Gandalf, or Frodo and Sam.

Even if the diorama piece was $250 by itself, that's basically the price of a figure and cheaper than what Hot Toys is becoming these days. I would buy Bag End for sure.

Just not sure why they'd work on that and show an unfinished piece that clearly took a lot of time to get to that point, just to not do anything with it. Hopefully they'll release it as a separate buy in the future.

I kinda hope they release the Bag End piece for sale by itself. There will be some people who don't want Bilbo, but do want Bag End to display with Gandalf, or Frodo and Sam.

Even if the diorama piece was $250 by itself, that's basically the price of a figure and cheaper than what Hot Toys is becoming these days. I would buy Bag End for sure.

Just not sure why they'd work on that and show an unfinished piece that clearly took a lot of time to get to that point, just to not do anything with it. Hopefully they'll release it as a separate buy in the future.
Maybe they got scared of production, shipping, packing. If so, I feel bad about any prospects of Thranduil's throne.
Thing is, either one of those pieces I'd pay. Not everyone would, I know, but there's folks like me who can't deal with WETA costs and scale a lot of the time.
Bag End I think, at least, would sell well. And not that many could deal with WETA's 3,000$ Thranduil/throne.

Even a cutdown, to-scale version of the door would have been nice (e.g.) less of the pieces on the side of the door.

I can't decide if I like the expression enough to buy this figure.

The sculpt is actually quite good. It looks exactly like Ian Holm as Bilbo. You know exactly who you're looking at when you see it.

I know Bilbo wasn't always cheery in the Fellowship, but I prefer to think of Bilbo as a cheery hobbit, one who told exciting stories, gave fun speeches and smiled when he saw his friend Gandalf. Going to have to think about this for a while.

Yeah same here. The likeness is fairly good but it's just not the kind of warm and friendly expression I was expecting or would prefer to have in an Ian Bilbo figure.

Yeah same here. The likeness is fairly good but it's just not the kind of warm and friendly expression I was expecting or would prefer to have in an Ian Bilbo figure.
Right. If they were going to do two sculpts anyway, I would have much preferred they did a warm smile and then the serious work. He's wearing a completely different outfit in Rivendell so the second sculpt just doesn't really fit in well here.

I will always think of Ian Holm as Bilbo, not Martin Freeman, even if he was good. I just really need time to think about this.

Being mostly a Hobbit collector - I might have gone for this, as Ian Holm was in Unexpected Journey. Kind of having the full circle. But not one who looks like someone who got a big bill for taxes or something.

D*mn I was really looking forward to Bag End too. Appreciate ASMUS always but I may end up staying with my younger Bilbos.

Ian Holm looks grumpier here than he does as Ash in Alien.
I personally can't think of him looking that dour in the movies, outside of his argument with Gandalf over the Ring - and even then, thats angry not sourpuss.
I will say to the sculpts credit thought that it IS clearly Ian Holm.

Love the outfit though, would love to see the detail on the buttons more closely, I can see some sort of design on them.

Being mostly a Hobbit collector - I might have gone for this, as Ian Holm was in Unexpected Journey. Kind of having the full circle. But not one who looks like someone who got a big bill for taxes or something.

D*mn I was really looking forward to Bag End too. Appreciate ASMUS always but I may end up staying with my younger Bilbos.

Yeah I would have been fine with a more sad and thoughtful expression or something, but this one is just way too stern and angry for some reason.

4k-fellowship-movie-screencaps.com-2129.jpg

Of course this is what most comes to mind when I think of his Bilbo.

4k-fellowship-movie-screencaps.com-2535.jpg

Automatic pre-order but I'm in total agreement with the head sculpt being a bit to harsh or stern. That really doesn't capture Bilbo's character at all. What a missed opportunity.

Aside for taking a few photos, I don't really see anyone displaying him with that one ring induced evil head sculpt. They should have included a head sculpt that captures that easy going hobbit spirit, such as the second pic posted by davejames.

Last edited:
That’s one grumpy looking Baggins and, if we’re not getting Bag End (which breaks my cold heart,) could we at least get the barrel?! At least that’s evocative of a memorable scene. That little oval of unnatural looking greenery is pretty underwhelming and quite out of place. And why resin again? Do Asmus just love increasing the weight of their packages so they can justify springing an additional shipping fee on customers upon release?

However, he does look excellently made. Tailoring is especially on point.
It’s just the usual small handful of odd decisions and a not-quite-right headsculpt that are becoming par for the course, which stop this being a stellar home run.

Even though SSC delayed the final payment to May, I went ahead and made my flex payment. Bummer about the delay though. :(

Back