Statue ARH Conan W/Slave Girl and 8FT Snake

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey gang! I hope no one thinks I've been avoiding the forums because
of the critiques or anything, I've just been EXTREMELY busy and haven't
had the time to post.

While I love the posts praising me for whatever work I've done, I really
don't mind the feedback that's less "complimentary". I've always felt that,
as an artist, you need to have a thick enough skin to take the good with
the bad, and if you think your work is above criticism, you're fooling
yourself.

I actually like to listen to the fans feedback, and I take a lot of it to heart.
Over the course of my sculpting career, good, constructive criticism has
definitely made me adjust my style and the way I work. I never assume
everyone is going to like my work, and I pay attention to courteous,
dissenting viewpoints.

The only feedback I completely ignore is that which is delivered in a rude,
or disrespectful manner, or criticism which makes assumptions about me
as a sculptor (i.e.; my influences, what references I used, assumptions
about who I'm familiar with or not familiar with, etc.).

As far as this particular project goes, I'm not going to get into any of the
specifics details regarding deadlines, art direction, promotion of the piece
or my own style choices. I will tell you that Conan is probably my all-time
favorite literary character and you will not find a bigger Buscema or Frazetta
fan, especially when it comes to their interpretations of Conan.

I've got just about every Frazetta art book ever put out, and a large collection
of Buscema sketch books, interviews and boxes upon boxes of Buscema comics.
Did you ever see the Ulik bust I did for Bowen? Take a look at that face and
tell me I'm not a Buscema fan. :)

That being said, Neither I, or Arahom wanted this to be a Buscema or Frazetta
Conan. Are there things that he, or I might have changed or altered if we had
more time to work on the heads? Sure, but that's 100% the case for EVERY
sculpt I've ever done!

You have to understand, this is my only job. I consistently have 5-8 projects going on
simultaneously, at all times, just so I can keep a roof over my kid's heads. I don't
have the time, or the inclination, to tweak every sculpt I do until it's "perfect", which
is a ridiculous notion anyway. As professional artists, we do the very best we can,
at the time, and then move on. We're NEVER going to please all of the people all of
the time, which is totally fine. It's easy to be an armchair art director after the fact,
but when you're trying to run a business, or freelance sculpting career, you don't
have the luxury of open-ended deadlines.

This isn't the last Conan, or girl I'm going to sculpt, and this isn't the only style
I'm going to sculpt them in. I doubt this is the last Conan, or girl that Arahom is
going to produce. We do the best we can, and if whatever we do doesn't sell, we
know something we've done wasn't right, and we try and adjust accordingly for the
next time.

So to all of you that are happy w/ this piece, thank you so much for the support!

To all of you that had issues with it, and expressed your dissatisfaction in a respectful,
constructive way, thanks for your feedback and I absolutely paid attention to what
you had to say.

….and to the people who essentially just said "FAIL", thanks for nothing. Your "feedback"
was as helpful as a squawking crow.

See you all next time! :D

Webb, I am reposting Troy's comments here since you just seem to have stopped by and you may have missed it.

The female sculpture is just horrible and Conan's face looks like an lions face.The snake is okay.

Just noticed the four ARH statues in SS newsletter. A lot of information is still unclear though. The only specs available are height for Conan and Snake. No width, depth or weight for those plus Ares and Mino have nothing at all (except price of course, hah).

I really wish you guys would go back and redo the heads for both the girl and Conan. As it stands, this is not something I am willing to spend any money on. I am a huge Conan fan. This isn't Conan.

I do wish you the best of luck though.

I really wish you guys would go back and redo the heads for both the girl and Conan. As it stands, this is not something I am willing to spend any money on. I am a huge Conan fan. This isn't Conan.

It is a Conan for me as Conan is an imaginary character with certain features / traits which can be applied to different interpretations. This is a good visualisation of the character for me. :duff

I like the idea of the piece far more than the actual execution of it, personally, and it is easily my least favoured of the four announced Conan pieces over the past year (and the only one I didn't order).

At the end of the day I just have too many nitpicks with the final item(s) to lay down the kind of money that ARH is asking for it, plus international shipping on top of that as well. It's cool that some folks are really into this piece, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but for me, I'm only lukewarm on it, and as such I just can't justify spending that kind of cash on something that I don't actually out and out love.

I might still buy just the Conan piece on it's own eventually, if nothing else comes up that I like better, and I find myself with money to burn, but these days that seems rather unlikely. Either way though, I wish those that do order this piece the best of luck, and hope that the finished piece, when they get it, is everything they hoped for.

If they just re-did Conans face i'd be buying the stand alone one for sure no doubt but that face is just too much of a deal breaker, it just doesn't feel like Conan to me either.

If they resculpted the face and offered the Snake Base, Conan and the swap out parts WITHOUT the slave girl for around $700 - $800 i'd already have my PO in.

If they just re-did Conans face i'd be buying the stand alone one for sure no doubt but that face is just too much of a deal breaker, it just doesn't feel like Conan to me either.

If they resculpted the face and offered the Snake Base, Conan and the swap out parts WITHOUT the slave girl for around $700 - $800 i'd already have my PO in.

The pieces would move a lot faster if they changed the faces as well. The rest of Conan looks great.

The girl's head is weirdly contorted in the neck area and the face is too cartoonish for my likes.

As it stands, I don't think these will sell out any time soon unless they have a very low ES. The price point, coupled with the unpopular heads will not go over well with most.

Maybe you should read more novels of Conan...

Thank you Snadinator.
You get 3 heads right now with the Conan, and there is yet another coming as an after market option! So I am not sure what to say about that.
The girl head was to match the same style of the artist, may I mention the same guy who did the work for SSC's successful Fury of the Beast.

So its not for everyone, but I hope you give our next Conan a try. :peace

Thank you Snadinator.
You get 3 heads right now with the Conan, and there is yet another coming as an after market option! So I am not sure what to say about that.
The girl head was to match the same style of the artist, may I mention the same guy who did the work for SSC's successful Fury of the Beast.

An aftermarket head might be the thing to swing this for me Averone and i suspect a few other people too, it really is the only thing stopping me from buying this, as the overall concept and the snake, i just think are awesome :)

The thing is that the head on Fury of the Beast is Conan for me but the head on this dio does not look like what I imagine Conan to be. The jaw is too narrow. Conan should have a jaw like a gorilla. I really wanted to live this dio and would have gotten the stand alone Conan were it not for the face. That being said, the body and pose is way better than the upcoming Conan PF from SSC with the skeletons. I am a huge conan fan but only ordered the Fury of the Beast because the other offering all had major flaws.

Just noticed the four ARH statues in SS newsletter. A lot of information is still unclear though. The only specs available are height for Conan and Snake. No width, depth or weight for those plus Ares and Mino have nothing at all (except price of course, hah).

Its been listed here, I am staring a new official thread because this one is a bit confusing.

I will aslo inform SSC of the measurements but here they are again

Conan the Sacrifice Stand alone with base

SSC SKU 902157

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/conan-conan-the-sacrifice-arh-studios-902157/

The Snake/girl/Big base dio
SSC SKU902158

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/conan-snake-and-slave-girl-arh-studios-902158/

Ares God of War
SSC SKU 902156

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/ares-the-god-of-war-arh-studios-902156/

Mino
SSC SKU 902159

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/minotaurus-arh-studios-902159/

Angel of Darkness
SSC YTB

Last edited:
I really like the Minotaur and will be getting it from my LCS.

I'm also thinking of getting Conan. I will likely pass on the Snake/Girl dio base but that is more because of space constraints in my collection rooms than anything else.

Alex, will there be another Conan statue coming soon or just head for this dio?

Thank you Snadinator.

Look forward to it Averone. I have the ARH Leonidas 1/4 scale and it occupies a besta shelf on his own. Very nice piece so I know you guys make great stuff.

Back