Media Are you okay with paying $20/$30 for a demo of MGS V?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you okay with paying $20/$30 for a demo of MGS V?

• Total voters

Solidus

Super Freak
Reaction score
Our good buddy, Ryan Pliskin, wanted a poll about this question, so here it is! Will you buy "Ground Zeroes" for Konami's asking price? It'll be priced at $20 for last-gen systems and $30 for the current-gen. So, have at it, you argumentative bastards. I'll join in shortly :lol.

To Ryan: Feel free to post all of the relevant information (eg. Kojima tweets, articles, etc.).

Re: Are you okay with paying $20/$30 for a MGS demo?

I wouldn't mind paying $60. It's MGS, enough said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as Krec, I used to buy games daily long ago... now I buy 2 maybe 3 games per year.

I'm willing to pay for the Premium edition because I want the PAK figure. I'm not sure if its totally worth it though... if this was being made by someone else or if it as another franchise I wouldn't spend so much on a 2 hour game. But this is MGS, the gameplay quality will be there.. I'm still thinking about it though :slap

I rarely buy games anymore, my HT Collection was drastically reduced to franchises I love. In a way I feel that I'm smarter wit my spending nowadays. The last time I paid full price for a game was when MGS PW came out. Everything else (not MGS related) can wait for the eventual price drop.

In a way, it doesn't hurt me as much as others. But I do see why some people might feel reluctant to pay for a 2hr game.

Yes, I'm part of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imo not worth paying $60 for a game unless its Skyrim or a Zelda game you will get your money worth you beat them then they just collect dust.

I voted for the last option. If Kojima comes back to NYC for a signing this year, I'll be getting it. Otherwise, it can wait.

I voted for the last option. If Kojima comes back to NYC for a signing this year, I'll be getting it. Otherwise, it can wait.

He would probably do that for the Phantom Pain it's a bigger release.

Imo not worth paying $60 for a game unless its Skyrim or a Zelda game you will get your money worth you beat them then they just collect dust.

The pricing for this is ridiculous. You can even get the MGS Legacy collection with all of the MGS games (excluding Portable Ops) for around $40 - which is just a little more than MGS:GZ.

He would probably do that for the Phantom Pain it's a bigger release.

Hopefully. He has made it a tradition of visiting NYC every two years. Wouldn't mind it if he comes next year instead :lol.

I'm not aware of the specifics here, but if it truly is just a demo, and not additional levels or any other kinds of perks apart from getting a small part of the game early, then no way. But I wouldn't begrudge a company capitalizing on impatient, antsy people who are willing to throw money away.

Well, it's interesting to see what the other freaks think about the, quite frankly, embarrassing debacle that is the MGSV demo without the need to go into the thread itself.

I think it's not much of a big deal if Konami let us privy to the fact that it is indeed 2 hour demo, but instead we got marketing hype such as "MGSV is such a huge game, it's split into 2 parts", or "MGS fans have been asking for this for so long" or "Sneaking simulator". Keep in mind that the people who played the game completed the main mission (for the first time, mind you) in 2 hours, their second run took 1 and a half hour and Konami speedrunners took 5 minutes.

Well, one could argue that MGS1 could be completed in 3 hours, but no human being could ever do that on their first try. And yes, the game has DLCs and side quests, which would add up towards many more gameplay hours, but you could say the same thing about the MGS2 demo, most people spent hours on that too and that was free. A lot of free game demos offer an equivalent hours of enjoyment if you think about it.

Some people might be unaware that the development costs of MGSV and the spanking new FOX engine used to power the game probably sets a new benchmark in how much funding it takes to make a cutting edge videogame. It's Konami crowning achievement, and they plan to license the engine in the future. It's just unfortunate that in the meantime though, looks like people like us will just have to pay for it.

I'll make it clear though: I LOVE Metal Gear. I owe a lot of good times in my life to the series, and I've spent many years plus a small fortune proclaiming my love to anything MGS. It's frustrating to see a franchise I have so much affection for doing so many questionable creative decisions, and this seems to be an all new low. It's a disturbing trend for the next generation of viideogames that we inadvertently green lighted if we stuck in the "Kojima can do no wrong" mentality.

Last edited:
I'm recalling that this isn't totally new, though. I paid for a magazine back in the '90s with the MGS1 demo on it, and I paid just for the demo disc. Nothing new under the sun, I guess :D

Well, it's interesting to see what the other freaks think about the, quite frankly, embarrassing debacle that is the MGSV demo without the need to go into the thread itself.

I think it's not much of a big deal if Konami let us privy to the fact that it is indeed 2 hour demo, but instead we got marketing hype such as "MGSV is such a huge game, it's split into 2 parts", or "MGS fans have been asking for this for so long" or "Sneaking simulator". Keep in mind that the people who played the game completed the main mission (for the first time, mind you) in 2 hours, their second run took 1 and a half hour and Konami speedrunners took 5 minutes.

Well, one could argue that MGS1 could be completed in 3 hours, but no human being could ever do that on their first try. And yes, the game has DLCs and side quests, which would add up towards many more gameplay hours, but you could say the same thing about the MGS2 demo, most people spent hours on that too and that was free. A lot of free game demos offer an equivalent hours of enjoyment if you think about it.

Some people might be unaware that the development costs of MGSV and the spanking new FOX engine used to power the game probably sets a new benchmark in how much funding it takes to make a cutting edge videogame. It's Konami crowning achievement, and they plan to license the engine in the future. It's just unfortunate that in the meantime though, looks like people like us will just have to pay for it.

I'll make it clear though: I LOVE Metal Gear. I owe a lot of good times in my life to the series, and I've spent many years plus a small fortune proclaiming my love to anything MGS. It's frustrating to see a franchise I have so much affection for doing so many questionable creative decisions, and this seems to be an all new low. It's a disturbing trend for the next generation of viideogames that we inadvertently green lighted if we stuck in the "Kojima can't do no wrong" mentality.

Well said! Somebody get this man a ham!

I'm recalling that this isn't totally new, though. I paid for a magazine back in the '90s with the MGS1 demo on it, and I paid just for the demo disc. Nothing new under the sun, I guess :D

it's a game a prologue that is only two hours its not a demo.

Back