Anyone make a custom and then have a company release a "real" version of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icruise

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone make a custom and then have a company release a "real" version of it?

I was wondering how many of you guys have had the experience of making a custom figure for yourself and then later on having a company release a "real" version of the same character. How did you feel about it? Did you buy the new figure? I imagine it's a definite case of mixed feelings, since you presumably have affection for the figure you made yourself, but the production figure might be better in some ways. This hasn't happened to me, but as I make more customs I can envision it happening.

Re: Anyone make a custom and then have a company release a "real" version of it?

I've made my definitive 1977 style Darth Vader, at great expense, and just know he will appear one day in released form. Will I buy one? Maybe. But not sure. I really like mine. I have made several Chris Reeve Supes too, but would buy a "real" one in a heartbeat, if the headsculpt was better.
Working on an ALIEN Ripley too, so if she shows, same deal...
As for any that have happened, well, I love my Episode III Obi Wan, and have yet to get all the parts for a Sideshow one, and still want one, but am mixed about it.
So, not sure how to address this. I guess it would depend on the figure, the character's importance to me, and my need to have a possibly more refinded one, also...:D

Don't expect too many Sherlock Holmes figs though. Or Radu from Subspecies in 12". I tend to pick pretty obscure guys for my customs when I can.

Re: Anyone make a custom and then have a company release a "real" version of it?

I'd say your customs are better than any production figures, so maybe you're a special case, Les. :cool:

What are you using for your Alien Ripley? Is it based on one of the existing Aliens figures?

good question. I'm considering doing Ripley from reserection, I'd love to know what head you're gonna use Les.

Just made a rebel Endor (using parts from an SSC) had the benefit of seeing what the SSC looked like before I made mine

I also remember icruise asking why go for a rebel endor when SSC have already made one ?

I replied with

cause I want that figure in my collection
Mine will be unique
It keeps me out of trouble

thats me after a SSC production and the same applies for SSC productions that are made after mine

I was told by Shai Halud on my reference thread that SSC will make a Lando in Skiff (guessing he was trying to dissuade me from making one) They probably will in 2 - 3 years time and it will be about $80 in 2 - 3 years time if we are lucky

Mine cost me

$20 for the hasbro
$1 for the leather sponge (bought from a garage)

the rest was paints and a few materials which Id bought anyway to make other customs. So im guessing tops for my Lando cost me

$30 and my time - free time ! and heres the point - Time enjoyed and IMHO well spent as Ive now got a better Lando skiff than I had before

If SSC announce a figure Ive already made then I admit straight away I think bugger - but I only think that because Id prefer one I didnt already have.

Ill order it as I usually do with all of them, and then spend the usual 2 - 3 months looking at it in critic mode. Looking at the figure on screen and then my bank balance with my mouse hovering over cancel (monies is always tight) and then if I cancel spend 3 - 5 months searching for a deal on it on ebay

As Im only now starting out customising, I know atm that SSC production lines are usually better than my custom hasblo upgrades (which is mainly what I am doing now, cheap figures that I can improve)

I started customising cause tbh I cant always afford or wait (patience isnt something I have in abundance) for a figure I want, and collecting for collectings sake wasnt doing it for me anymore

I like shopping on ebay getting "deals"
I like artsy fartsy stuff
I like the hands on aspect (ATM I use a computer for "work")

I try when possible to make a custom screen accurate which also takes a bit of time in researching images and materials, so when the SSC or Medicom production figure does some along Im fore armed and educated. So I can make a better educated purchase (at least I think so)

My only issue with an SSC figure coming out ive already made is . . . . space ! If I move my cheaper custom figure out of the way to make room for SSC production line figure where do I stick my cheap ass hasblo upgrade ?

Might stick it on ebay :rolleyes: and chance my arm ! $600 for a Mooncat Hasblo original upgrade anyone ?

Last edited:

Yeah Pretty much every custom I've made has now been redone. First I did Indiana Jones, the Highlander, the Crow, Batman, Wolverine, Freddy and Jason just to name a few.
I still have my Return of the Living Dead figs and Interview with the Vampire I made but not too many customs left.

A couple of years ago I went on a customizing spree, and made a Crow, Superman Blue, and Red. The about a year later McFarlane came out with his Crow figure, and DC direct made a Superman Blue. He sits next to mine. I like mine just as much but I have to admit theirs looks better.
:monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

I guess Indy will be the first one for me in 1/6. I'll definitely be getting the SSC one, even though I'm really happy with my custom.

I did a bunch of DC superheroes as Famous Covers (9" scale) but I'm glad that DCD is putting them all out as 13".

Indiana Jones (like most of us). I'll buy the Sideshow one and eventually, I'll also buy the Toys McCoy as well.

Indiana Jones (like most of us). I'll buy the Sideshow one and eventually, I'll also buy the Toys McCoy as well.

just curious - why spend $600+ on the McCoy version when the SSC will, if nothing else, have a better head sculpt?

I made an Indy right before Sideshow announced the license. It was a pretty funny situation, I remember being pretty astonished... I had not expected that at all! :lol

But really, it's ok.... I think it's neat to see how they do it different from how I did, and it's cool to just have tackled the character at all. Despite the situation.

I made a custom Simon Pegg from Shaun of the Dead. First Necca did one and now Sideshow will release one.

just curious - why spend $600+ on the McCoy version when the SSC will, if nothing else, have a better head sculpt?

From what I have been seeing on eBay, the Toys Mccoy Indy at auction is now going for between $400.00-$500.00. People still list them with buy it nows of $600.00+, but they don't sell.

Yeah, I did. Some company called Sideshow is set to steal all my thunder. I can't wait; Sam and Frodo were my first use of points and were pretty inexpensive. But here's the custom in question (he's been in my sig for months, too):

FrodoCredits.jpg

twinfrodos.jpg

DSCN0042.jpg

1/6 Jabba that I thought for sure would never be made.

Bespin luke , in fact two versions, both with the lit saber gubbins, hand made leather belts/boots,hasbro clothes reworked and seams (that are even missing off the SSc one) added,blasters were 1/6 workshop mausers with machined muzzles etc, i not sure which i prefer the sideshow or my ones,i guess ill rework my own SSc one.
HPIM0111.jpg

and id guess me vaders too, positively terrified on medicoms announcement many moons ago, but found the lack of size kept mine in demand.
ANHmedicomTXT.jpg

Back