Anyone ever been in a hit-and-run car accident?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So this wasn't by any means serious, but just annoying to say the least. Yesterday I was leaving the post office and backing up out of a parking space. Some d-bag in a pick up truck was backing out at the same time and ended up running into my car. Not serious damage, but my rear wheel fender got bent up on my car. The guy paused, then just kept driving out of the parking lot. He paused long enough for me to write his license down...

Overall, not serious body damage but just a hassle to have to try and get this fixed... Not to mention I'm a student, and can't even really spare the cash with my insurance deductible, and I don't have time to get this fixed since I work and have class EVERY day of the week. Literally.

So what would you guys suggest? Is it worth to file a police report? Should I just forget it and fix it? It just makes my blood boil that people just walk away without even giving a crap about anyone else...

So this wasn't by any means serious, but just annoying to say the least. Yesterday I was leaving the post office and backing up out of a parking space. Some d-bag in a pick up truck was backing out at the same time and ended up running into my car. Not serious damage, but my rear wheel fender got bent up on my car. The guy paused, then just kept driving out of the parking lot. He paused long enough for me to write his license down...

Overall, not serious body damage but just a hassle to have to try and get this fixed... Not to mention I'm a student, and can't even really spare the cash with my insurance deductible, and I don't have time to get this fixed since I work and have class EVERY day of the week. Literally.

So what would you guys suggest? Is it worth to file a police report? Should I just forget it and fix it? It just makes my blood boil that people just walk away without even giving a crap about anyone else...

You probably should have called the police right then and there. I think if you wait you are screwed. Good luck though!

Call the police for any car accident, no matter how minor, and even if it's your fault. There's no reason you should pay so much as a dime because some retard couldn't be bothered to turn his head, and the last thing you want is someone claiming you caused damage that you didn't.

Sorry to hear that. I highly recommend you contact the police ASAP and file a hit & run report. And then contact your insurance company and give them the license plate number of the vehicle that hit you. Your insurance company and/or Police can track down the vehicle who hit you.

Well that's the thing, what good does it do if the guy left?! Either way I'm stuck filing a report...

Also, how can I prove he actually hit me?

You took his license plate correct? If you call the police you give them that information. They investigate. Why is that hard to understand? Again you could have ____ed yourself with your insurance for not calling right away.

You tell them he hit you, they go and look at the truck and see its damaged, viola.

However now that you waited you have given up any proof you weren't at fault.

Put yourself in the cop's shoes who would be taking your report, why would someone not at fault who's car was damaged leave the scene of an accident. Intoxication. "____ I'm drunk, I'll just wait and report it tommorow when I'm not." Cops don't give you the benefit of the doubt so I'm afraid to say it sounds like your already F'd now. Live and learn I guess, but never leave the scene of an accident.

Well, I called the police RIGHT when it happened. I got transferred about 5 different times. Each person could've given TWO craps about what happened and they just made it seem like I was causing an inconvenience to them... The last thing the last person told me on the phone was, "Oh, you're going to have to physically drive down to the police station and file a report since you got a license number..." ???

I love it... The common response always seems to be "that's not our jurisdiction. You'll have to go somewhere else..." Basically implying, "it's not my problem..."

(no offense to any law enforcement officials here, but it's a touchy subject... I once witnessed a drunk driver plow through a red light, DESTROY a car and leave the scene... I chased them down, brought them into the police station and the only response from the station was "the accident happened outside our jurisdiction. Go to another station".... Seriously?! You're ordering a DRUNK person to go drive to another police station and file the report themselves?!?! :mad:

Last edited:
Well, I called the police RIGHT when it happened. I got transferred about 5 different times. Each person could've given TWO craps about what happened and they just made it seem like I was causing an inconvenience to them... The last thing the last person told me on the phone was, "Oh, you're going to have to physically drive down to the police station and file a report since you got a license number..." ???

I love it... The common response always seems to be "that's not our jurisdiction. You'll have to go somewhere else..." Basically implying, "it's not my problem..."

(no offense to any law enforcement officials here, but it's a touchy subject... I once witnessed a drunk driver plow through a red light, DESTROY a car and leave the scene... I chased them down, brought them into the police station and the only response from the station was "the accident happened outside our jurisdiction. Go to another station".... Seriously?! You're ordering a DRUNK person to go drive to another police station and file the report themselves?!?! :mad:

Oh I hear you. I started a thread about a drunk driver I followed last spring. I kept getting transferred all around. The car was going into oncoming traffic and all that. Did anyone seem to care? NOPE! So finally we got up into the mountains and they turned down a dirt road and I gave up. At least I know no one was hurt.

Call your insurance company and tell them you're not getting much help from the police. Explain to your agent that you were not at fault and you have a vehicle description and a plate #. Ask your insurance agent if they can help cut through the bureaucracy with the police. The PD might take the insurance company more seriously on the phone.

Typical, the cops a town over from me stop working at 8pm here and there is no police force. Seriously no one, you wait til 8 pm and you can rob a bank zero problem. You get about a 15 minute response time from neighboring stations.

Probably my favorite thing to do is pull up behind cops at dunken donuts and record them on my cell phone. They always get really embarrassed, a few months back I was recording a cop in front of me and laughing and he realised it, and just drove away without his food.

Cops are worthless unless you need someone to tape off a crime scene for the real detectives/csi guys. Those are real cops, the other patrolmen, just traffic lights with a pulse.

i find that cops in most cases, are worthless, but when we (civilians) try to take matters into our own hands, all of a sudden, we're the criminals. I've seen on a documentary where some guy was getting beaten to death by a bunch of thugs and it look hours for the cops to arrive............that type of thing is a common occurence in many states.

I started a thread about a drunk driver I followed last spring. I kept getting transferred all around. The car was going into oncoming traffic and all that. Did anyone seem to care? NOPE! So finally we got up into the mountains and they turned down a dirt road and I gave up. At least I know no one was hurt.

I remember that thread. :rock

Typical, the cops a town over from me stop working at 8pm here and there is no police force. Seriously no one, you wait til 8 pm and you can rob a bank zero problem. You get about a 15 minute response time from neighboring stations.

Probably my favorite thing to do is pull up behind cops at dunken donuts and record them on my cell phone. They always get really embarrassed, a few months back I was recording a cop in front of me and laughing and he realised it, and just drove away without his food.

Cops are worthless unless you need someone to tape off a crime scene for the real detectives/csi guys. Those are real cops, the other patrolmen, just traffic lights with a pulse.

Be careful about recording cops--in a lot of places they're making it against the law

You can still report the accident and explain to them you were a victim of a hit and run.... Give them the plate and have his insurance pay for the damage! Usually on an accident like yours, all it would have been is an incident number and the offier would make sure you both had valid information and the information was properly exchanged. Unless there is an injury, a police report isnt taken for a non-injury accident.

He must of had a reason to leave....

l would call the police. why spend your own hard earned money to fix his screw up.

the only time l have been in sort of a situation like that was a few years ago. l was at a red light and there was a nice silver sports car convertible in front of me with some chick driving. when the light went green her car rolled back because it was a standard and her back bumper hit my front bumper on my truck. she new she hit me and then took off. l didnt car though because my bumper is metal. there was a big black scuff mark on her rear bumper after. her fault not mine. no damage to me so l laughed. but l would call the police in your situation.

My insurance company would make me file a police report on it.

One night I was in the shower and a drunk driver drove through our neighbors yard, hit his shed, came into our driveway, hit my car and drove it into my parents. Then he took off down the highway in his smashed up car. He didn't get caught until he side-swiped a bunch of cars two towns away. My car was totaled and my parents car, which was fairly new had a lot of damage to it. Of course he didn't have any insurance so it was all on ours. I never heard what he got out of it. Probably not much of anything since he didn't kill anyone.

Back