Anyone considered dropping Hot Toys due to Re-releases of previous characters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a little disappointing when something does gets an upgrade and you shelled out so much for the first, But has there been a case where you couldn't sell it to fully finance the new one? That Iron Man Mark 1, DX Batman, Joker all still sells for as much as the new one costs .... Are you mad at the company that makes your car? The new one looks the same but it's better, and your old one is worth a LOT less... I at least Hot Toys hold value better than most things.

EX and reg Predator 1, the P2 Predator, both reg and BD, the first Joker they released, likely the first T2 T800, etc. There are plenty of examples where HT's initial releases are all but worthless with the upgraded figures coming out. RoboCop, unless there's a QC issue like the DX02, will follow suit. This is why collecting as an investment has become nothing more than a joke and why you'll see those who did so making rant threads about it. :lol

The ironic thing is that by upgrading your actually de-grading your collection IF your in it for the money. I mean was the 3rd version of Optimus Prime better than the G1? Of course, but whats more valuable.....

A bit of a drastic comparison but you get my meaning! Have a look at a G1 Ipod on ebay... bet you threw yours in the bin eh!!

But in the case of Hot Toys the first version is not actually coveted. The earlier versions are worth less than the later version. And it doesn't look like that's going to change any time soon.

The reason for this, I speculate, is because despite people constantly talking about HT as 'collectables' and whatnot, 99.9% of Hot Toys 'collectors' buy a HT figure because 'it's that guy from that movie i like and its the most realistic and best-looking version of him that i can buy.' They don't give a crap about anything else. They don't appreciate them or collect them in the same way others appreciate an original G1 Transformer or whatever. They don't care about its place in history, or the first version, etc. They don't like figures that look 'dated' on their shelf (perhaps the sole reason buyers don't genuinely 'collect' these figures). No one's out there trying to track down the first HT figure because no one actually buys a figure because it's a 'HT figure,' they only buy a figure because it's the best-looking figure from a movie they like, that's truly the only motivation.

The price on these figures only retains value or increases value when it's the best version available and it's no longer widely available for sale. Consequently, something better comes along (be it from HT or another company, it don't matter) and the price plummets. Until you've got people in mass tracking down figures because they're 'the first 1/6 T-1000' or 'the first HT Predator' none of these figures are going to have any real lasting value as 'collectables.' There's always going to be something better coming along and that's all it takes to destroy the value of these things. You're not buying the last ever 1/6 TDK Joker. And if HT didn't make another Joker, etc, some other company would and the same thing would still happen. You're talking about massively popular characters here.

Nothing wrong with any of this except that a lot of buyers seem to hold the belief that the demand for these figures is about more than just 'this is the figure that looks the most good.' They see the price increase and they think that it's forever going to go up. They look at it like they're collecting gas cans or vintage wine or whatever the hell. Bananas it is.

Hot Toys making a 2.0 isn't the problem. If people actually 'collected' these figures in a real sense there'd still be a strong demand for the first version. The problem, it seems to me, is purely people having unrealistic beliefs/expectations about what motivates people to buy these figures and what they think is happening when they see prices increase or retain value.

None of this is meant as an attack on anyone, to be clear. This is just me speculating on why so many complain about dropping values/new versions/etc.

I think your spot on with most of your post. Thing is it's not just specific to Hot Toys and I think that's what people have to realize.

There are tons of companies out there now doing the same thing where as before it was one company with one release.

At the same time though, I think there's a big difference between waiting 5 years and waiting 25. Collectors are impatient these day's and like you say, would rather have the best of the best right now but in years to come who knows. That's the good thing about collecting, it's all luck of the draw.

Also people today are generally wealthier (and smarter). I see folk buying up 2 or 3 of the same figure so they can do modifications. Which is bizarre to me but understandable. Nobody ever had the money to go out and buy multiple transformers or He-man figures when I was younger, not in my street anyway!!

EX and reg Predator 1, the P2 Predator, both reg and BD, the first Joker they released, likely the first T2 T800, etc. There are plenty of examples where HT's initial releases are all but worthless with the upgraded figures coming out. RoboCop, unless there's a QC issue like the DX02, will follow suit. This is why collecting as an investment has become nothing more than a joke and why you'll see those who did so making rant threads about it. :lol

Don't all of those sell around the $200 mark? I don't know how much they retailed for in the first place but that seems pretty good to me especially with 2 far superior versions in the case of the Joker.... :dunno I collect what I like and am happy when it holds most of it's value in case I do want to get rid of it in the future either to upgrade or because I need money there's not a lot of things you can do that with.

Don't all of those sell around the $200 mark? I don't know how much they retailed for in the first place but that seems pretty good to me especially with 2 far superior versions in the case of the Joker.... :dunno I collect what I like and am happy when it holds most of it's value in case I do want to get rid of it in the future either to upgrade or because I need money there's not a lot of things you can do that with.

:lol Nope! Hoping to upgrade to the Classic, I had my Ex P1 listed on ebay at $10 below retail for a month without a bite. I suspect that's the same with the BD P2 with the new one coming and no doubt the case with the first T2 T800 now that the DX12 is out. We all know that's the case with HT's first Joker. They're just not fetching even retail. Not sure how that's "pretty good."

:lol Nope! Hoping to upgrade to the Classic, I had my Ex P1 listed on ebay at $10 below retail for a month without a bite. I suspect that's the same with the BD P2 with the new one coming and no doubt the case with the first T2 T800 now that the DX12 is out. We all know that's the case with HT's first Joker. They're just not fetching even retail. Not sure how that's "pretty good."

Really? ... I thought a few of those were still doing better than that just a few days ago I almost bought Joker for around $170 I think... And yeah I consider that pretty good your not doubling your money or anything but are you really loosing that much?... Few years ago I pay $20 for a DVD when blurays came out I could get $1 on Amazon for the DVD, Now I consider that bad.

Really? ... I thought a few of those were still doing better than that just a few days ago I almost bought Joker for around $170 I think... And yeah I consider that pretty good your not doubling your money or anything but are you really loosing that much?... Few years ago I pay $20 for a DVD when blurays came out I could get $1 on Amazon for the DVD, Now I consider that bad.

You mean this one? :lol https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Toys-T...0803?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3ccd937513

They don't appreciate them or collect them in the same way others appreciate an original G1 Transformer or whatever. They don't care about its place in history, or the first version, etc.

I get what you're saying, but it's not a completely fair comparisson. People collect G1 transformers mostly out of nostalgia. They take for granted that the toys are thirty years old and therefor are not as good as current toys. With Hot Toys, those things are brandnew and there is nothing to appreciate in the same way as you appreciate a G1 TF.

People indeed collect Hot Toys because of the likeness of characters they love (and perhaps are nostalgic about). This particular toy has no special place in history, unlike for example the G1 transformers.

I really want Ada Wong, and a Man of Steel Superman, and more Star Wars figures, but you know...I think I'd rather just get pissy and wounded.

:dunno

Not the listing I had looked at but yeah i was going to buy it and put the alternate head from the new Joker on it... They are selling $140-$250.... But I'd probably do better buying a second new DX and parting out what I don't need.

I suspect that's the only reason it's floating above $100 ATM. When the DX01 was released, you'd have been hard pressed to find one selling for $100, let alone retail. :lol

I agree with a good amount of this. :goodpost:

You can say a lot of this about any hobby. Prices go up & down. Demands change over time. Who knows, 20 years from now, 1st versions could be the hottest thing. Or the Hobby could be completely different or gone. Who knows? Thats the nature of any collecting hobby. It unpredictable. If your in it for value its going to be a rollercoaster ride.

I personally only collect for the love of the characters & movies, i could care less what they are worth. Ive sold a few things, but honestly im not a fan of selling. too many headaches come from selling. Its not worth it to me, so im doing my best just to buy what I 100% know I want to keep for a long time. I just enjoy collecting :)

:hi5::exactly:

I own a very small amount of HT figures: Endo regular & Endo BD, Pred 1, Pred 2 BD, Pred-Machiko, and the Appleseed trio. The thing is I collect ONLY what I like and enjoy having in my collection, not for resale. I'm not sure I will get the new Pred 1 and 2, but might get a new improved Endo if made some day. I might be more interested in HT if they made some Star ars Imperial figures some day. I don't like the high prices for these, there are some 1:1 props, busts or statues you can get for a couple HT figures.

People keep saying "i'll be quitting hot toys after ______" but most won't. :lol

And yes, the only HT that can appreciate in $ value are ones they are certain not to revisit.

Back