ANH Luke

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I can say is that I flat-out reject the idea that it's unrealistic to assume that a product be more or less the same as the prototype. The whole point of making a prototype is to come up with something that will serve as the model for mass production. That means that you're supposed to use materials and methods that are similar to those used in production. I can accept that sometimes changes have to be made, and you can't expect it to look every bit as good as the prototype. But you shouldn't have huge changes to to the overall look of the figure. After all, we're making our purchasing decisions solely based on what the prototype looks like.

Frankly this tunic issue by itself doesn't actually bother me much. It's more the idea that with EVERY figure we are shown a prototype that looks great and then months later when it actually gets into customers hands, we have to cross our fingers that it isn't completely different from what we expected. I'm not sure what the cause is. It's possible that Sideshow isn't fully taking into account the realities of production when making their prototypes. Maybe the factories are incompetent, or Sideshow isn't good enough at monitoring production or explaining what they need. But I do think something needs to change somewhere.

I hope you are wrong. The first thing I plan to do with my Luke is a water treatment. I will take pics so everyone will see just how malleable the tunic is or isn't.

I don't think some of you understand the term bait and switch. You use it like you actually have a clue as to what the term means or the proper use of it.

I use the term because it conveys the basics of the situation, and I'll be honest, there's a bit of frustration in my choice of words here. I understand that the term was originally coined to describe a very specific form of seller fraud. No one is implying any deliberate fraud on the part of SideShow.

But few would argue that the original tunic generated a lot of excitement on this forum, and to have such a key feature switched out just as shipping begins feels bad. I think we should hold any company to do their level best not to promote with something they cannot deliver. Did SS do their level best? Who knows, but we don't have to be happy.

Also, sometimes familiarity with - not ignorance of - certain phases allows you the freedom to use them in different ways to convey feeling. One doesn't need to find a specific listing in Webster.... For instance, if I were to describe you as a pompous horse's rear-end for that last post you made, it could be proven that you are neither pompous nor a horse's rear end in point of fact, but the feeling is nevertheless conveyed... :D

-QGF

Frankly this tunic issue by itself doesn't actually bother me much. It's more the idea that with EVERY figure we are shown a prototype that looks great and then months later when it actually gets into customers hands, we have to cross our fingers that it isn't completely different from what we expected. I'm not sure what the cause is. It's possible that Sideshow isn't fully taking into account the realities of production when making their prototypes. Maybe the factories are incompetent, or Sideshow isn't good enough at monitoring production or explaining what they need. But I do think something needs to change somewhere.

I'd hate to name names, but the truth is that it is Scott Klauder's job and responsibility to try and ensure that things come out of production as close as possible to the approved prototype. Now, I know he's only able to go over to China and inspect things at the factories for himself about 4 times a year or so. But maybe it's time he either moves there... or they hire a counterpart who is there full-time. Or maybe he can switch to Marketing/PR (which he's pretty brilliant at) and the Production Manager comes out of Asia.

Clearly, whatever they are doing now to ensure that production pieces turn out as close and humanly possible to the solicited prototypes is NOT working.

But few would argue that the original tunic generated a lot of excitement on this forum, and to have such a key feature switched out just as shipping begins feels bad. I think we should hold any company to do their level best not to promote with something they cannot deliver. Did SS do their level best? Who knows, but we don't have to be happy.

:lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture :lecture

Irish, you namenamer. :nono ;)

I'm just sayin'. There is actually an individual at SSC who's responsible for prototype-to-production, and that's Klauder. And I'm not even saying this is his "fault". Maybe he's not given the resources and tools to do things they way he'd prefer or maybe they are asking WAY too much of just one person. I certainly would not blame just him for the amount of production gaffes. That would be totally unfair. Besides, you only need to meet the dude to know that he's hardcore into collectibles and cares.

Me neither. It is what it is. This isn't as big a change as the PF Fett helmet, but its something more easily fixed and therefore kinda disappoints in that respect alone.

It just doesn't appear to me to be something so tough to get right.

Maybe they have one acting under Mr. Klauder and we don't know it there's got to be some kind of supervision going on.

Back