Alligator grabs two year old at Disney World

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If youre disney you dont want ppl having the debate on what is "swimming". You want ppl to keep their asses out of the water.

Theres an organization called ANSI (American National Standards Institute) that sets standards for signs and warnings. It's relied upon heavily in the legal world for compliance. Im going to guess the sign here did not met ANSI standards.

And even if it did i would argue it wouldnt have mattered. The gator would have gotten him even on the shore. As noted above 2" of water wasnt going to stop that gator.

Gators eat pets from the shore all the time.

Small dogs getting eaten near lakes is a problem here in florida. U guys never hear about it but it happens enough to be a problem for pet owners.

That beach should be off limits after dark. Or have signs saying off limits after 7 pm

If youre disney you dont want ppl having the debate on what is "swimming". You want ppl to keep their asses out of the water.

Theres an organization called ANSI (American National Standards Institute) that sets standards for signs and warnings. It's relied upon heavily in the legal world for compliance. Im going to guess the sign here did not met ANSI standards.

And even if it did i would argue it wouldnt have mattered. The gator would have gotten him even on the shore. As noted above 2" of water wasnt going to stop that gator.

yep, Disney is going to be out of a lot of money on this. If they know Gators are in that water, there needs to be a fence, forget about what's said or not said on a sign.

yep, Disney is going to be out of a lot of money on this. If they know Gators are in that water, there needs to be a fence, forget about what's said or not said on a sign.

They'd have to fence the entire Disney area and even that probably wouldn't keep them out since it's so massive.

IMO, people are going overboard about something that is a very, very rare occurrence.

Sad scenario. I've read a few articles about an investigation on the parents but at this point, they found the body. Their kid is dead. I dont think there's any more punishment to hand out.

who's going overboard and how? What constitues "going overboard"? At least here, we're only just talking. It's actually been a healthy debate imo.

And i dont know if you have kids (and im not asking) but if they shut down that whole facility and killed every gator to find my one of my kids i would have no problem. Imo thats not overboard at all

And what would the reaction be if disney didnt "go overboard" and there was another attack? There are still tens of thousands of kids still running around.

And lets not forget and husband and wife watched an alligator snatch their child away. I dont think they would say anyone is going overboard.

Is this rare? Apparently. But you have to to take immediate steps to protect life so this never happens again. So im going to strongly disagree with your characterization of people going "overboard", if i understand your usage of that term.

What i find ridiculous is that disney goes over board when it comes to safety in their parks and they get obsessive when it comes to safety but then seems like their resorts are very loose on security and safety.

IMG_2702.JPG

i have visited with my wife disneyland in 2011 for our honeymoon and we stay in dolphin resort hotel on the ground floor. We were planning to visit again the park in the near future with our daughter 2 years old ...

The photo attached was near our room if i rememer well ....no any kind of signs visible as yoou can see ...from as well as i know aligators could pay a visit anywhere near the water...luck of information leeds to this kind of iccidents but i imagine theme parks dont advertize that you have to watch out of aligators and other lethal predators in the open

Bunch of idiocy going on in this thread. If there are gators in the water then there should be a sign indicating that there are gators in the water, and reports that I've read suggest that no such signage was installed.

A simple "No swimming" sign isn't just inadequate, it's grossly negligent. Disney - not the parents - has a case to answer.

View attachment 270616

i have visited with my wife disneyland in 2011 for our honeymoon and we stay in dolphin resort hotel on the ground floor. We were planning to visit again the park in the near future with our daughter 2 years old ...

The photo attached was near our room if i rememer well ....no any kind of signs visible as yoou can see ...from as well as i know aligators could pay a visit anywhere near the water...luck of information leeds to this kind of iccidents but i imagine theme parks dont advertize that you have to watch out of aligators and other lethal predators in the open

Are you confusing Disneyland with Disney World?

this is what pop century hotel looks like, the cheapest hotel.

disneycentury-1.JPG

60smemorylanehopper-1.jpg

the entire thing is next to the lake

Abandoned_40s_buildings_061211-goldhaber.jpg

Just thinking about this tradgedy and my own son my heart simply sinks :(

The poor father who tried his best to rescue his son......well I have no words but my heart goes out to him.

Bunch of idiocy going on in this thread. If there are gators in the water then there should be a sign indicating that there are gators in the water, and reports that I've read suggest that no such signage was installed.

A simple "No swimming" sign isn't just inadequate, it's grossly negligent. Disney - not the parents - has a case to answer.

Couldn't disagree more with this finger-pointing logic. It's not like Disney absolutely knew there were gators in resort. This is a big assumption. The only idiocy is the need to blame someone when something goes wrong. **** happens. No need to always cry and point fingers. The family will never be the same.

As bad as this is, accidents happen, which is what this is. Even if proper signage was put up, doesn't mean it would have saved this kid. People constantly defy instructions. People drink and drive all the time even though there are warning labels.

Disney will compensate this family. Don't be attacking others when the conversation has been so cordial up to this point.

Couldn't disagree more with this finger-pointing logic. It's not like Disney absolutely knew there were gators in resort. This is a big assumption. The only idiocy is the need to blame someone when something goes wrong. **** happens. No need to always cry and point fingers. The family will never be the same.

As bad as this is, accidents happen, which is what this is. Even if proper signage was put up, doesn't mean it would have saved this kid. People constantly defy instructions. People drink and drive all the time even though there are warning labels.

Disney will compensate this family. Don't be attacking others when the conversation has been so cordial up to this point.

The point is the proper signage wasn't put up. Your speculation that proper signage may have been ignored regardless is obtuse, given that the absence of any such sign never gave that family the opportunity to determine for themselves the potential threat posed by the water.

As for Disney not knowing? Big assumption? Hmm.

The resort, which has closed its beaches for the time being, has a wildlife management team that monitors alligators and other animals and regularly removes any that appear to be troublesome, according to Nick Wiley, executive director of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

source: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/us/alligator-child-florida-orlando-disney.html?_r=0

I'll call out idiocy when I see it and argue my point. If you have a problem with my tone you can report my posts.

Back