Alien Warrior legendary scale bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally did the inner teeth. Still pretty far from real chrome, but a small improvement.

Did bottom row first:
warrior0.jpg

All done. They look better in person. I had to take several different shots for the pics to even exhibit a noticeable difference.
warrior1.jpg

Now to do the outer teeth on the bust itself. :pray:

Aaargh. Received my Warrior today - however two front teeth are chipped off.

The bust was poorly wrapped in the clear plastic, the front part of the head was completely uncovered when I opened the box.

Its going back (I hope, never had to return/exchange anything and I'm overseas...) sigh.

The bust was poorly wrapped in the clear plastic, the front part of the head was completely uncovered when I opened the box.

Its going back (I hope, never had to return/exchange anything and I'm overseas...) sigh.
They'll probably ask you to destroy it and send pictures once done.
I'm pretty sure they were all poorly packed.

Sucks. Wish you weren't overseas, too. I'd like some pieces of this to practice painting. A small part of me wants to eventually repaint the whole thing, but I'm a newbie to airbrushing.

I packed it up again after taking a boatload of pics. Funny thing: two small pieces of the broken teeth were inside the box, under the bust. Also, the styrofoam in front of the mouth is a little scratched. I'm guessing the damage was done when packing it in at the factory, without covering the front of the head.

DSC_0021.jpg

IMHO, they should place extra foam insets on the more delicate parts of each bust (i.e. the teeth, tendons etc.). I remember my SSC Alien dioramas had foam inserts in all the delicate points for extra protection.

Seriously considering picking one of these up, but with all the QC issues my trigger finger remains un-itchy.

You can always return it if you get a bad one. That is what I had to do until I found a good one. Ended up selling it to How2trainkaiju after all that work though:lol. There are good ones out there, if you really want it I would try.

You can always return it if you get a bad one. That is what I had to do until I found a good one. Ended up selling it to How2trainkaiju after all that work though:lol. There are good ones out there, if you really want it I would try.

Haha, I'm going to sell off my Hot Toys first, then i'll buy up one of these and cross my fingers!

Well, after 5 days of curing, I'm not really happy with the teeth repaint. It's shinier, but not enough of a difference imo. Since I lack an airbrush, thinking of getting a can of Spaz Stix. If I have the guts and masking chops, hopefully good results will follow.

Well, after 5 days of curing, I'm not really happy with the teeth repaint. It's shinier, but not enough of a difference imo. Since I lack an airbrush, thinking of getting a can of Spaz Stix. If I have the guts and masking chops, hopefully good results will follow.

What kind of paint did you use?

What kind of paint did you use?

I found a reply some months back from Frozen where he used Testors Chrome-Silver. I bought some, tested it on other objects, and I really liked most of the results. Putting it on top of super glossy black enamel usually produced a good shine. After curing for a while on the Warrior's inner mouth, I am just not seeing enough of a difference compared to the outer mouth. It's shinier, and definitely not worse, but it's just not what I truly want.

Sand them smooth, add gloss black from a rattle can, sand that with a very fine sanding stick and then find a decent metallic chrome in a rattle can also. Add a few light layers and buff/sand between layers as needed can't beat a good airbrush but in reality the results should be similar. Brush painting such things is a skill most of us don't posses.

Sand them smooth, add gloss black from a rattle can, sand that with a very fine sanding stick and then find a decent metallic chrome in a rattle can also. Add a few light layers and buff/sand between layers as needed can't beat a good airbrush but in reality the results should be similar. Brush painting such things is a skill most of us don't posses.

Thanks. I'll try the buff-between-layers technique. I have a lot of fine sanding sticks and sponges, cloths, etc.

As for which paint, this has me intrigued:

p.s. What is with the secrecy behind chrome painting? So many forum posts and youtube videos about vaguely explained chrome paints that refuse to give away any info. There are registered domains for loads of scam sites about getting "true chrome" from cheap aerosol delivery. It's freaking weird, almost like baldness cures and herbal supplements. :cuckoo:

A new warrior is on the way, number 370 this time. I hope it arrives ok. A little nervous since the dealer asked me if I wanted them to open the box and check for obvious defects, however I wanted to break the SSC seal myself, so I said no. After half an hour I'd changed my mind, but they'd already shipped it... And now the wait!

A new warrior is on the way, number 370 this time. I hope it arrives ok. A little nervous since the dealer asked me if I wanted them to open the box and check for obvious defects, however I wanted to break the SSC seal myself, so I said no. After half an hour I'd changed my mind, but they'd already shipped it... And now the wait!
My 3rd one I had the seller open mine, was not worth the disappointment if there was something obvious wrong.

We 'll see, hopefully I won't have to send no. 370 back again (international shipping is quite pricey here in Greece)! All I wish for are no broken teeth and/or tendons. I was quite happy with the bust apart from the obvious teeth issue (paint etc.).

Yea, and nevermind that the QC sticker means nothing. SS can slap one on and still send you a ****** piece.

Back