Advice on which Sauron to get...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoFFL3s

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey guys absolute noob here still on this site, been lurking >.<, but i'm in need of advice here,

I recently acquired the ASMUS Ringwraith/Nazgul and have the new shipment of Morgul Lord (confirmed with customer service) at BBTS pre-ordered. With these two lovely pieces i wanted to round them out with a Sauron piece but I don't know which one i should save up for.
There's two choices (that i know of) the Sideshow Premium Format 1/4 (36") Sauron or the Sideshow WETA 24" statue? BOTH are extremely pricey at the moment since they are few years old, as for price...lets just say the 1/4 is with a quick google search doubled its original....

I've tried searching the forums but was overwhelmed with the results and got a bit confused, so if this was already a topic I apologize!

Thanks!

It depends if you can find either for a decent price, and your price range. For me I would get the PF sauron, a much superior piece, and has that epic feel about it. But the price range now you have to pay in full now SST has sold out

For me it's the weta one.
Raw and showing his power to rhule.
The other one is realy Large,realy LARGE,it has a base with skulls and lava,like seen iun the art,where it's based on,it has more colour.
But both are great.

I personally prefer the weta than pf, its better pose than pf and im not fan of the paint apps in pf eventough its great detail paint.. Just wait for awhile mate lets hope asmus will do the sauron 1/6.

+1 for Weta piece. I think it will scale better and has a far better pose than the SS PF. The paint on the Weta one is sort of bland but serviceable whereas the Sauron PG has divided people. Lots of people did a repaint on the SS PF, which looks great. I would say you can grab a Weta one for half the price of the SS PF right now.

If I were you I'd just wait it out. This hobby has a knack for punishing the impatient. If Asmus keeps going on the their current path I'm sure you'll see one from them.

If you're trying to supplement due to lack of options you may not be happy. Unless your making a transition to statues stay consistent with the 1/6. If you are making a move between medias then the Weta would serve you better.

Unrelated topic, but does anyone know what's up with the S&F forum? It has been down for the past few days...

You book is wrong:lol

He is the only PF I wouldn't want in my collection but everybody is allowed to like him. Galadriel, Frodo, GtW have some issues but Sauron's paintjob is absolutely unbearable and the pose isn't good either. The only thing speaking for Sauron PF is his size.

He is the only PF I wouldn't want in my collection but you are allowed to keep your opinion. Galadriel, Frodo, GtW have issues but Sauron's paintjob is absolutely unbearable and the pose isn't good either. The only thing speaking for Sauron PF is his size.

Pose is fine, base is amazing. Paint seems to fluctuate piece to piece, some pieces are fine, others not so much. My 2nd base was worlds better than my first. In any case I prefer it to "charcoal" Sauron. The likenesses of the 3 you mentioned are horrible, but the rest of those pieces are good which is a shame.

Depends on scale. If that's an issue go for the one that fits better as they're both damn good.

Pose is fine, base is amazing. Paint seems to fluctuate piece to piece, some pieces are fine, others not so much. My 2nd base was worlds better than my first. In any case I prefer it to "charcoal" Sauron. The likenesses of the 3 you mentioned are horrible, but the rest of those pieces are good which is a shame.

I agree

But I don't see anything wrong with the Sauron statue PF, it's by far the best Lotr piece out there, it just screams epic. Love the paint job they have done, never saw the appeal with the weta piece of sauron. The sauron pose is another badass highlight, if there is one piece I would not get is the dark rider of mordor. When people come over and see it sitting there when it arrives for me, the casual viewer will be blown away because the piece is that good

To the the original poster, I suggest trying to see these in person. I had a Sauron PF on hold for me at the local comic store for quite a bargain off retail, walked in, saw it setup and knew instantly I hated it. It all will come down to personal taste on this one. But it sounds like money is an issue in which case I think the Weta one is the way to go. I imagine those are still in the 450 range while the PF is likely closer to the 1k mark once shipping is figured in.

This probably isn't overly helpful but rest assured in the end, whichever version you decide on you are going to get a fantastic piece. Everyone has their personal preferences but in my opinion they are both awesome.

Back