A New Hope Han!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, love the photoshop paint up by Adam! that's awesome. And if Adam supports any of my work on this...well, that's just really gratifying!

It's a shame that Harrison is so hard to capture. I've had some better luck this year with him, but you'll just never get him dead on, I don't think. too many nuances. (which are wonderful Ford traits, but very difficult things to capture in 3D!)

my favorite comments thus far..." have old ben's sculptor do more crucial likenesses" (from RS)

LOL!:rotfl

Trev

I can't wait to see what you do, man!

I dunno about anybody else, but I really love the customizing and repainting that goes on. When we all post pics of what we've done, it's like we all bought the same model kit, went off and put it together seperately, then all came back to have Show & Tell, compare notes.... I find that it's half the fun of 1/6 scale collecting (for me)... I've gotten more ideas off of this forum than anywhere else on the Interwebs.

Toys slow down global warming! Whee!

-AH!

Yep. I have more fun with this hobby because I get to see what people like Glen, Josh, Les, Darren and all the other customizers do with their figures.:cool:

Wow, love the photoshop paint up by Adam! that's awesome. And if Adam supports any of my work on this...well, that's just really gratifying!

It's a shame that Harrison is so hard to capture. I've had some better luck this year with him, but you'll just never get him dead on, I don't think. too many nuances. (which are wonderful Ford traits, but very difficult things to capture in 3D!)

my favorite comments thus far..." have old ben's sculptor do more crucial likenesses" (from RS)

Trev

:rotfl I saw that one too Trev and stated something to the effect of "you do know the guy that did Old Ben did this one too right?" Which was totally ignored.

I'm not sure why it is, if he broke it or something, but Han's nose being somewhat curved to the side has got to throw any artist off as well since it's not really the norm for a human portrait, it's quite an exception. Ford and Owen Wilson are the only 2 noses I've ever seen on someone that looked busted up, not different, but like something is actually wrong. Naturally we all have unique features, but they still conform to a standard "design" if you will.

The nose! The damn Ford nose!! Oh, you're taking me back to the pain... ;-) I was helping a buddy with a Ford likeness, he asked me for a critique. It was about 3 rounds of "Bend the nose to the right." "Cool. Bend it more." "Great, bend it one more time".

The nose, the crooked smile, the scar, the recessed eyes... the guy is like the Horror of Vat Room 5. Why is he popular! Gah! ;-)

I also never noticed how big a chin Ford has. It's more apparent in his 70s films, when he was kinda wirey and underfed, but when you actually start to look past the nose and the other features... the guy's got a jaw you could open cans with!

Toys will see us through!

-AH!

I've seen many Harrison ford figures in my 38 years and no one ever really catches that wry Harrison Ford look completely. I've heard it before that it is hard.

Trev

If I'd taken an hour, I could've made it sing, Trev. But, it was just to sort of spread the good word that the sculpt is so stinking tight.

I think Trevor Grove and Drew Struzan have a time-share going on Ford's likeness. I don't think Ford's dentist knows his face as well as these two cats. We're lucky they are on our side... if they used their powers for evil... **shudder**

Trevor, get back to those crucial likenesses! You obviously need more practice!!

Toys prevent insulin resistance!

-AH!

Trev

Awesome sculpt! Keep up the great work!

And Atom, great comment (with proof) of the desired paint job-- the difference really makes Trev's sculpt pop (in the best way).:D

I wasn't so much trying to assign blame as to understand the reasoning behind it. The actors clearly have (well, had) brown hair.

If it's necessary, that's exactly what I'll be doing. The Bespin Han figure's likeness was greatly improved by merely painting his hair brown.

I understamnd completely, that's why I was just making a polite suggestion. I think if we all understand more, there will be less irate fans & customers among us.

I've done a few porjects where I had to deal with licensors, and NOTHING is more horrifying & soul-sickeneing than dealing with a liason who has NO idea what is right, but still has the authority to tell you to change what you've done. You NAIL a likeness, and they make you change it. They tell you that "Han Solo (for example) would never do that, change your script" to which you reply "But he did it 6 times in STAR WARS".

Lost of times we are at the mercy of bean-counters, people who are in positions of authority at these companies and film studios, and their only qualificition for making artistic decisions is that they went to Harvard Business School...

-AH!

I wonder if the lone preview pic we've seen here isn't just a little stretched.... If you squish his head a little, I think it looks better. Still the best Han sculpt the world has ever seen!

anhhan.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dude! You hit the nail right on the head. I don't know if the picture is stretched or not, but your editing of it took the sculpt from excellent to near perfect. Even I, as someone who does not care for the likeness to be perfect, can appreciate that!

And I am still fine with it as it was.

Awesome sculpt! Keep up the great work!

And Atom, great comment (with proof) of the desired paint job-- the difference really makes Trev's sculpt pop (in the best way).:D

Thanks! My theory is, they ain't nuthin' in life you can't FIX, somehow, some way...

-AH!

One thing I noticed over there perusing things once in a while, people make half-cocked statements like that and make asses of themselves. Do people think before they speak sometimes? I know it's never really stated who does these, but you can pretty much get a style sense from all the sculptors, like spotting a Trev or Andy B, or Mat Falls' Luke sculpts.

One thing I noticed over there perusing things once in a while, people make half-cocked statements like that and make asses of themselves. Do people think before they speak sometimes? I know it's never really stated who does these, but you can pretty much get a style sense from all the sculptors, like spotting a Trev or Andy B, or Mat Falls' Luke sculpts.

I think it's totally due to the lack of courtesy and politeness engendered by web-chatting, forums, blogging.... People get used to saying whatever they want, as there's rarely a chance they'll get a bloody nose over it.

Also, I think people like to post SO FAST and SO MUCH, that they are thinking and typing at the same speed, and not taking a moment to consider their words.

I do, however feel that Trevor's likenesses DO lack a certain crucial quality... ;-)

(just kidding, T)

-AH!

I think it's totally due to the lack of courtesy and politeness engendered by web-chatting, forums, blogging.... People get used to saying whatever they want, as there's rarely a chance they'll get a bloody nose over it.

Also, I think people like to post SO FAST and SO MUCH, that they are thinking and typing at the same speed, and not taking a moment to consider their words.

I do, however feel that Trevor's likenesses DO lack a certain crucial quality... ;-)

(just kidding, T)

-AH!

That's true, I used to post so much but more lately I'll quickly start writing up a post and then just stop and realize that it isn't adding anything and it might make things bad and then I'll just not post.

Trevor's stuff has been really great, he's done a lot of my favorite characters, I still like Kit Fisto the most out of the figures I have. And I hope to get that Grievous PF some day.

Sidebar, but Adam, it'd be awesome to see if your relationship with Sideshow spills over from Marvel to Star Wars :)

This is for all of you negative trolls out there. I hope this helps relieve some of that "time of the month" attitude.

u12519901.jpg

Back