6 inch "Black Series" ARAH GI Joe-Thoughts?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the Sgt Savage line would have been better received if they included characters from the RAH line with it. Also they were about 4.5" tall and not 6".

I can see this "black" line being made, but not lasting long. It will have 5 different Snake Eyes, CC and SS with Duke and Destro here and there and then die off.

I hear rumblings/talk of a possible 6" Legends GI Joe ARAH Series from Hasbro, possibly revealed at toyfair 2014....if these come out as nice as the 6" Starwars Series...I'm all in!

thoughts?
--

SIGMA SIX redux?

Seriously . . . they need to refocus on the 1:18 line and get away from the film motif and go back to the core essence of the RAH line that made the 25th and some of the follow up offerings successful.

Enough with the film based themes unless it's truly worthwhile.

They reissued the Tomahawk as the Eaglehawk. They need to go back and consider reissuing a few more classic vehicles with updates (i.e. MBT MAULER, hovercraft, etc.).

The Killer Whale...oh man yes please!

I really don't think the Wal-Mart and Target that I normally stop at sold any of the Retaliation figures or vehicles.

--

SIGMA SIX redux?

Seriously . . . they need to refocus on the 1:18 line and get away from the film motif and go back to the core essence of the RAH line that made the 25th and some of the follow up offerings successful.

Enough with the film based themes unless it's truly worthwhile.

They reissued the Tomahawk as the Eaglehawk. They need to go back and consider reissuing a few more classic vehicles with updates (i.e. MBT MAULER, hovercraft, etc.).

:goodpost:

License to print money and they just jerk around. :lol

The Eaglehawk is superb and pretty cheap considering what scalpers were getting on the Bay before it got a general release. I'll probably get a second and try my hand at making it into a custom night force or Cobra copter. I would definitely buy another Mauler, hovercraft, etc.. as well. I would never mod my originals from when I was a kid, but I sure would these new ones....

BUT... now I digress; if they announced a Joe RAH Black 6" line with the OG 13, a RAM, JUMP, and maybe even a FLAK, Boom, they would have me sucked in, especially if they promised that successful sales would mean a second wave consisting of 1983 figures. :rock

I think the Sgt Savage line would have been better received if they included characters from the RAH line with it. Also they were about 4.5" tall and not 6".

I can see this "black" line being made, but not lasting long. It will have 5 different Snake Eyes, CC and SS with Duke and Destro here and there and then die off.

This has always been the problem with modern RAH. Snake Eyes has become their Boba Fett. They keep making him because he is the most popular character and frankly I'm over it. Give me '82 Commando Snake Eyes not some roided ninja in Batman kevlar. There are so many vintage characters they could do but never will. G.I. Joe Black will last 1-2 years tops.

with all the custom 6" marvel legends gi joe customs out there, i think this will hit off well. but they need to make them arah accurate

I will not support a 6" GI JOE line now matter how cool/retro it will be.

GI JOE is either 1:6 or 1:18. The SIGMA SIX line was a fluke, but has it's supporters given what was developed & produced for the period.

Changing scale/size to revitalize the line is not a smart move.

The line is languishing due to too much BS film branding, awkward color schemes on some offerings, and selective retailer distribution/outlets (some TRU exclusives while some TARGET exclusives, etc.).

Again . . . re-focus on the line by following the formula for success from the 25th Anniversary and onward.

Seriously consider an official brand/licensing agreement with LEGO.

You don't see the total failure in what you just posted? You keep using Star Wars as a reference and you can't. Well, you can, but it's flawed logic. It won't work. G.I. Joe has never been the merchandising monster that Star Wars is, so saying something so blatantly naive as "it works for the Star Wars Black line" is laughable at best.

Like I said earlier, their best bet would be to do the 2 5-packs, one Joe and one Cobra, take the $20 loss per package and price them at $100 each, then market them to the collectors. Then pray to every god known that somehow, miraculously, magically, collectors embrace a dying format and rebuy everything they've already bought at 1:18th scale.

So what are you going to say when Hasbro eventually reveals the 6" GI Joe ARAH "Legends" then? because its inevitable....you won't collect it,but many will.Laughing at me won't change that ;)

Lego has a long standing anti-military vehicle policy, would make for a very weak product line.

especially since Hasbro is doing their own Lego.... called Kre-o GI Joe building sets and their based off ARAH.actually cool sets

looking forward to wave 2 this fall with Hasbro announcing more sets (Wave 3) coming up for toyfair 2014 (hoping for a GI Joe headquarters)

If IDW can pick up the Marvel comics continuity at issue #155, Hasbro should follow the same formula and just continue on with classic ARAH in classic style packaging for the 3 3/4" line instead of trying to follow Sideshow and keep giving us "modern interpretations" of the same old characters over and over and over again. Build on past successes. If the wheel ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm down with a Legends/Classics/Black line.

3 3/4 is starting to be too small for all of the detail that the sculptors are adding to these toys.

12 is getting too expensive and hard for vehicles to be made.

I can't wait for a 6 inch line.

So what are you going to say when Hasbro eventually reveals the 6" GI Joe ARAH "Legends" then? because its inevitable....you won't collect it,but many will.Laughing at me won't change that ;)

That's the point you keep ignoring. "Many" won't. It'll flounder on life support through the first wave and crash into obscurity in Wave 2 (maybe Wave 3 if Hasbro is already manufacturing when the initial reports get back from Wave 2's poor sales). Once those who initially got duped into the gimmick with Wave 1 realize they're just rebuying the same **** they already own in a slightly bigger scale at 2.5x the price, they'll jump ship too. :wink1:

I also brought this up at hisstank and was shouted down!

After getting the SDCC Boba Fett in hand, it pretty much re-ignited the passion I had for SW that had been dead for years.

A Storm Shadow/Firefly/Cobra Commander in this size and quality? My god, that would be the best thing ever!

I don't think there's a chance it'll happen though. Joe is just a "dead" brand at Hasbro these days. And despite what the OP said about hearing "rumors" about it happening....there are no rumors, certainly not from Hasbro. Just wishful thinking from fans like us!

Chances of these actually happening are nil. Still....we can dream.

I also brought this up at hisstank and was shouted down!

After getting the SDCC Boba Fett in hand, it pretty much re-ignited the passion I had for SW that had been dead for years.

A Storm Shadow/Firefly/Cobra Commander in this size and quality? My god, that would be the best thing ever!

I don't think there's a chance it'll happen though. Joe is just a "dead" brand at Hasbro these days. And despite what the OP said about hearing "rumors" about it happening....there are no rumors, certainly not from Hasbro. Just wishful thinking from fans like us!

Chances of these actually happening are nil. Still....we can dream.

50th Anniversary coming in 2014 for GI Joe...Hasbro has plans for Joe product to be revealed at toyfair 2014

a 6" line not possible? I 100% disagree

but I agree with this... "A Storm Shadow/Firefly/Cobra Commander in this size and quality? that would be the best thing ever!

The appeal of the SW black series to me is the massively improved articulation. The sculpt and paint is okay but as some have pointed out its not exactly a huge leap over the 3 3/4 figures.

I don't see this with a potential black style gi joe line, as the articulation for the 3 3/4 figures are already pretty much perfect. The only thing they could add are some thigh swivels and i'm not paying 25 bucks for thigh swivels.

If they do a 6 inch joe line I won't complain, i'd be happy for all the hardcore 6 inchers who'd been waiting for such a line, but unless I see some seriously impressive work i'd pass.

Their character selection needs to be spot-on.

R2-D2 in a 4 1/4" size for $20/25, pre-scalper prices, is too much. (Not that there's a Joe equivalent)

But, lets assume they do a 4-figure release:

Luke: most popular hero- Duke or Snake-Eyes

R2: sidekick, loveable- so maybe Roadblock or Shipwreck?

Maul: badguy- Firefly or Destro, but maybe even someone from a "later" series (like Ep1) likely Serpentor.

And finally, an army builder Sandtrooper (not a "regular" Stormtrooper, so not a "regular" Cobra): Desert Cobra? Eel? Snow Serpent?

Now: how many Moms know those characters? (minds outta the gutter guys) Likely not enough to float the line. Star Wars has at least 7-10 times the brand recognition and fan base that GI Joe has.

Plus, listen to any episode of What's On Joe Mind, the definitive podcast for Joe related news/interviews, and they constantly lament the cheapskates who make up at least half the Joe hobby. (The "I'll wait for Ross" crowd) Naturally, we Sideshow fans are a huge high-spending minority, so though a 6-inch line might work for some of us, it likely won't do well in the fandom on the whole.

I'd probably buy a few troop builders (if I could find them) and SE, but that's about it. And I wouldn't expect more than a couple waves. And I'd certainly not expect vehicles.

So, who knows? Good luck to Hasbro if they go for it, but I'd not hold my breath that they will.

Another question: if you invest heavily into a Black line, and it burns out after one or two waves, will you ***** and moan at the collector's who didn't buy in, or admit that maybe it wasn't a sound business decision in the first place? Because the odds of a Joe line that big going 4 wave or more are distant at best, I'd wager.

(If they make a Bludd, I'd kill a cute baby dolphin for one, though...)

IF they were to ever do this, and I stress IF cause I personally feel it's a pipe dream; there's no way they would follow the model they set with SW. With SW they have the intention to stretch the releases out over as many years as they can, and they have hundreds of characters and variations and aliens and troopers to choose from. And all of those characters are recognizable.

GI Joe? Not so much. At best people would know the white ninja, the black ninja, the guy with the metal head? I think without a need to draw the line out they could load the popular characters into the waves right away.

Snake Eyes, Duke, Scarlett, Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow, Destro. It would be all the big guns. Same with Transformers how you keep seeing the same 5 or 6 characters over and over. The advantage would be that Hasbro OWNS the brand and there's no licensing to fuss over, but as much as I would love this to happen, I simply don't see them putting their resources into it like they do with SW.

And I don't believe their "big plans" in store for next year....that was ONE guy giving a non-commital answer to Pixl Dan at SDCC this year. They showed NO new product at either Joe Con OR SDCC and wouldn't even comment about the plans for next year. Outlook is not good.

But if I were ruler of the universe, I'd make the GI Joe Black Series happen....and cause I love Cobras way more than Joes, I'd demand Cobra Commander, Storm Shadow, Firefly, Zartan, and a Crimson Guard. And a Snake Eyes too, and then I'd be happy.

Back