12" is not stopped

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think alot of people grew too impatient waiting for more figures to come out. When it takes that long between figures, completists give up and sell off what they already have. I will never sell off my figures even if I don't get anymore. I love the ones I have.

As far as I'm concerned, lack of proper attention to this line is what killed it, not the fans. The fans sure ate up that Beserker, so there's still LotR interest out there.

I don't see how impatience would force 1:6 scale LOTR collectors to not want to buy a great collectible of a major character, I would think they would buy it wither it came out last year or will next year. I for instance have all the Colonial Marines, and I'd very eagerly buy up any new Colonial Marine characters if HT made them, regardless that they're produced 3 years late. But I guess that's just me.
The Beserker is a higher end statue, which attracts a very different sort of collector if you ask me. I can imagine all the LOTR statue collectors wanting to add it to their already large LOTR statue collection, without there being a need to have scale continuity.

Either you can cry about not getting a complete Fellowship or you can finish it yourself. :lecture

Thats the plan. I just bought Gimli (Toy Biz) on ebay and am willing to join in getting a Merry and Pippin made.

I don't see how impatience would force 1:6 scale LOTR collectors to not want to buy a great collectible of a major character, I would think they would buy it wither it came out last year or will next year. I for instance have all the Colonial Marines, and I'd very eagerly buy up any new Colonial Marine characters if HT made them, regardless that they're produced 3 years late. But I guess that's just me.

To some extent, you're right but I think there's more to it than that. If Sideshow decided to put the gloves back on and complete the Fellowship, I'd throw all my chips in for the preorders. I think most of the other diehard fans would as well, despite our customs. However, there's something to be said for Sideshow's lagging in getting around to releasing new figures in a timely manner. As Sideshow slowly lost interest in producing them, so did the collectors in wanting them and by the time all the chicken little crap about the Hobbits had polluted the forums, lots of people walked away. So I think it's a combination of both Sideshow and collectors. :(

Do not overlook the effect that poopy Faramir and the lack of even a single villain had on overall interest & buzz in this line.

I hope WETA does the Hobbit stuff. SS failed with there try at LOTR.

Do not overlook the effect that poopy Faramir and the lack of even a single villain had on overall interest & buzz in this line.

Despite the fact that he really wasn't that bad, I still find it hard to believe that Faramir spoiled the line. For every person who despises the figure, there are four who don't. Besides, several lines have turds that don't cripple them. The lack of villains and piss poor pacing is more plausible with the latter being the more likely cause of fan/collector disinterest.

Yep for me it was the pace was just way to slow, while for me LOTR is all about the Good guys, Saruman, Sauron or a couple of Orcs could have really given this line the injection it needed. Personally I liked the paint apps on my Faramir better then Boromir or my Aragorn figures, B's paint was to flat & A's to heavy, Faramir actually looks quire natural in my cabinet compared to those two & the detailing is superb.

To some extent, you're right but I think there's more to it than that. If Sideshow decided to put the gloves back on and complete the Fellowship, I'd throw all my chips in for the preorders. I think most of the other diehard fans would as well, despite our customs. However, there's something to be said for Sideshow's lagging in getting around to releasing new figures in a timely manner. As Sideshow slowly lost interest in producing them, so did the collectors in wanting them and by the time all the chicken little crap about the Hobbits had polluted the forums, lots of people walked away. So I think it's a combination of both Sideshow and collectors. :(

Personally, I think it's more of a lost interest in LOTR then in figures from LOTR. I can understand not being interested in LOTR anymore, but if you're a fan and like 1:6 figures, there shouldn't be a lack of interest.

The lack of Villains I think does make a huge impact. As well as the lack of armored figures, and a Aragorn and Legolas most could consider perfect. There's been a bit of disappointment I've seen on other forums about these two (not that I share that sentiment) and these two seem like the most important action hero types of all the characters from the movies. So without them in the collection, people might not feel the need to pick up the other characters and abandon the series.

Also I think LOTR & it's fans have been around for a long time without any figures to collect, I think a lot of fans have other outlets for their Fandom with this series whether it be arts, books etc not to mention LOTR fans are different in that we had no real locked in visual look of the world and characters until recently. I know for me as a long term fan of the books it took me a while to accept the "movie" characters the same way as the books

Despite the fact that he really wasn't that bad, I still find it hard to believe that Faramir spoiled the line. For every person who despises the figure, there are four who don't.

Really???? Who/where are these people?? :huh

Also, notice that Sideshow themselves specifically cited Faramir as part of their explanation.

The character choice was ill-timed, the figure turned out less than high-end in quality, and it definitely hampered and affected non LOTR diehard interest in the line (which is where it was going to live or die all along).

actually i loved the faramir figure. it didnt bother me that they chose to do one. the sculpt looked perfect. the outfit and accessories were freakin' amazing. the paint aps blew though. they were ^^^^ing awful even by SS standards and yet they couldnt admit this and when it came time to do the production piece shots there were no close ups of the head. Hmmmmm.....????? and yet they still couldnt admit there was a screw up in the paint aps. and it wasn't just the sloppiness of the aplication. it was the color schemes as well. what was up with the hair color?:huh

actually i loved the faramir figure. it didnt bother me that they chose to do one. the sculpt looked perfect. the outfit and accessories were freakin' amazing. the paint aps blew though. they were ^^^^ing awful even by SS standards and yet they couldnt admit this and when it came time to do the production piece shots there were no close ups of the head. Hmmmmm.....????? and yet they still couldnt admit there was a screw up in the paint aps. and it wasn't just the sloppiness of the aplication. it was the color schemes as well. what was up with the hair color?:huh

Though my paint on mine isn't bad, it doesn't look much like Faramir. The figure is still good though.

He got his hair from the same person who did Hot Toys Billy from Predator.

Though my paint on mine isn't bad, it doesn't look much like Faramir. The figure is still good though.

He got his hair from the same person who did Hot Toys Billy from Predator.
i didnt think mine was too bad until i started seeing custom repaints. the repaints made me like my figure less and less. he is currently undergoing a repaint. hopefully he looks 100x better.

i didnt think mine was too bad until i started seeing custom repaints. the repaints made me like my figure less and less. he is currently undergoing a repaint. hopefully he looks 100x better.

I agree! I saw a repaint in one of the threads that looked just like David Wenham. I can't remember who did him though. I think he did Aragorn too. I'm totally jealous of those! :lol

I like the figure as well. The paint apps where weak which is what hurt the sales but the rest of the figure was pretty good. As we've seen with repaints on Faramir he's a good figure. The paint is what hurt the sales of him IMO.

Faramir was a solid character to do but the paint apps were horrible. I had mine repainted and it made a HUGE difference. Faramir was a logical choice as a release, at the time. He was a secondary character that had been missed by SS/Weta in their statue line and offerred the SS 12" figure line a nice diversity to come (or so we thought at the time...) I compare the Faramir release to the release of Mace Windu in the SW line. Not a main player but definitely involved in the films.

What killed the line? In my opinion, it was the slow rate of release. I'm not sure if SS was stretched thin with all of the other 12" lines but a faster release rate would only have helped their LOTR line.

The paint was the only real issue I had with mine as well. Other than that, the costume, accessories, etc... were top notch. As far as relevance, he's entirely more crucial to LOTR than the Sand People to Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back