1/6 scale Landspeeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint doesn't match the screen-used one (below), so I guess this was just reproduced for the roadshow.

Tali is also 100% right about the holes in the side - they were for the armature rig.

The paint varies on the screen used prop vehicle quite a bit (eg. the top side of the rockets behind the maroon stripe is orange-brown in some pics and grey in others like the pic you posted.)

My guess is they redid the paint a bit for shows because it was a real vehicle driven over desert and transported to Tunisia so would have been beat to hell once they were done.

It is the "real" landspeeder, just with different paint and some modifications done over time for various reasons. The underlying key paint marks are identical to the one photographed in 1976 seen in the Art of SW book, but it looks like the original black weathering wore off and they put a new coat on.

Dims as requested, these are approximate

My mission for the weekend is to tweak the rounded edges, got a pretty good idea how I'll achieve it, if time I'll also get that wind screen (wind shield) redone as I need to figure out a way Pete can attach it once painted. :dunno

Awesome. Thanks for the dimensions.

Sounds like a good plan for the weekend.

Just gotta say Jas, I really appreciate you being open to these fine tuning mods to make it the best model possible (within reason of course).

Sorry to ref pic dump, but here are a few rarer pics I found. It does seem that the "exhibit" speeder does date to the early 1990s, so I assume its legit, just with touched up paint. No idea what the story is on the Guinness mannequin.:lol

kjRnndY.jpg

A9shw9a.jpg

My7HtdT.jpg

vSsYdsU.png

The exhibit one does seem to have a few differences in the dash versus the Tunisia one, but I think they swapped stuff after the landspeeder was shipped to California for the high speed desert driving shots (with real steering wheel vs the sci-fi one.)

I4ZTQSY.jpg

Talibane loves them Speeder pics :lol

But seriously good job finding all those !

I like this one with all the details they dream up (and at least think of when making the original props). Love the power boost circuits, glad Jas made them bigger for more power !

kjRnndY.jpg

I like those speakers on the dash. :lol

Maybe we can make a good mp3 speeder jet soundcard to compliment it while we pretend to speed Luke around the house?

Add a repelling magnetic stand where it could actually hover/float would be amazing 😉
This project as all the others is seriously top notch :clap

Talibane loves them Speeder pics :lol

There is a method to the madness....:lol

Comparing the noses, I think the front doesn't just need the bulge at the grill, it looks like the whole front needs more tapering, both top and bottom. The current front still looks a bit blocky. And I still think the underbody could use some sanding down to make the body vertically thinner. It's a very thin body. red lines over where I'm thinking it needs to be sanded/modded (1/6 vehicle in middle pic, color removed for clarity):

Wqh7boh.png

With the changes happening, and casting/painting yet to begin, I can't see this being ready before the end of the year now. :(

That doesn't concern me too much. I'm just happy that it's happening and Jas is open to make it as good as it can be and not rushed.

That said, I do love seeing new posts in this thread in the hope there are some update pics.....Jas if you're out there.

I'm here, lurking
Think your suspicions are correct as there is still a bit of work left to do and main delay will be flattening the rounded edge which I have two options.
Option 1: shape and sand by hand which is very labour intensive but can be started straight away or
Option 2: order a suitable table edge cutter for my router and shape it that way, much faster to complete but there is a 3 - 4 week lead time on the cutter and is quite expensive.

I did manage to get version 10 of the canopy something like over the weekend:
Image 43.jpg

Still needs a little work and I may have to go down the vacuum form route.........I was trying to avoid this option as I haven't got a vacuum former....but I know how to make one :wink1:

Jas

Hoody, agreed, I'd definitely prefer to wait to make sure this is 100% - was just saying...

Jas, waiting for the edge cutter would give you a more consistent edge anyway, yeah? Doing it by hand would also be a massive pain in the ass.

Windscreen looks good from this angle - hard to tell without seeing it on the side or 3/4 angle.

I gotta ask because this looks fantastic: how are you doing this and what material?

Back