1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One key feature that needs to be mentioned is the underlying body. It can really make a huge difference with the different outfits.

I tried several, including the DX05 and settled on the JX Toys S01 wearing most of the DX5 outfit. Added a Jnix head sculpt, custom shoes (can't remember where I got them, but it was many years ago) and custom whip and holster (also old but nice) and I'm quite happy with my Raiders Indy. The only things I really need to upgrade some day are the leather belts.

If you're new to customs, my advice: take it slow, especially when considering a custom Indy. If you can find a HT set, and it hasn't deteriorated (jacket, belt, etc.), that might be a good place to start. Much of that set, with a good amount of work and modifications can look decent. But don't drop 700 on a that geewhiz set.

As a life-long Indy fan, I have gotten to the point where if its costing more in 1/6 scale than it does in 1:1 scale, you're getting screwed. That's my two cents. And this is coming from someone who owns a few high end Indy sets and several customs of decent quality (I have standards when it comes to figures).

Plus, I would venture a guess that some company will release a new Indy (licensed or otherwise) in the near future, especially with next year being the 40th anniversary of Raiders if you can believe it. It's only a matter of time, especially with mass produced (and sometimes bootleg) companies turning out some pretty decent quality sculpts and figures (look at Eleven, Supermad, xensation, etc.) Hasbro is sure to capitalize on the anniversary next year if they have any brains at all.

Plus lets face it: people have very short attention spans in this hobby. They get bored quite easily and flip these sets pretty regularly for the cash and for something new and shiny to gawk at. There's a demand for decent Indy figures, we all know that.

It'll very soon be "I belong in a museum!"

It's interesting that, now companies like VTS and Lim Toys are getting bolder with their unlicensed releases, neither have yet dared to venture into Indy territory. Even DID could if they so wished. There really hasn't been a decently priced Indy starter set since the original SSC Raiders Indy. We thought that was expensive, little did we then know what was around the corner.......

Even in 2008, that Indy was a letdown in my opinion. The windbreaker-like jacket, the terrible shirt, the loose body, the tootsie roll whip, etc.

Hi guys, updated the Indy chart with a few more sculpts that represent the modern era (starting with Sideshow), didn't include sculpts that seemed more like one-offs or originally in a different scale (like the resized Trevor PF sculpt), but think this captures the important sculpts along the way.

indysculpts-full-fixed.jpg

And higher res version here.

Last edited:
Hi guys, updated the Indy chart with a few more sculpts that represent the modern era (starting with Sideshow), didn't include sculpts that seemed more like one-offs or originally in a different scale (like the resized Trevor PF sculpt), but think this captures the important sculpts along the way.

View attachment 490377

And higher res version here.

Love it! :clap

That will now be the official Indiana Jones HEAD CHART for years to come. CHOOSE YOUR INDY!

I also love how the smaller SS ToD head is appropriately sized next to it neighbor. :D

The WGP had by far the best hat in terms of look and shape, it was just a shame it was too small to be of any use. If you combined the modded MJ head with a usable hat that looked like the WGP you'd have a winner.

The WGP does have the large band and the better pinch in the hat... and the asymmetrical brim shape. I don't care for the thickness of the ribbon.

I use a hairblower to "fix" the Inigo brim into a more used shape. But yeah, the overall Inigo hat shape looks like its fresh from the Haberdashery.

Hi guys - great thread, I've just been reading through and having my eyes opened to the world of Indy customs. I have a Hot Toys DX05 as a start point and as a small dip my toe in the water would like to find another head sculpt to use on the map room outfit. Is the only option to buy unpainted and find someone with requisite paint skills?

Obviously, I'll be looking to replace the standard HT head sculpt sooner or later too(!).

Haha I know what you mean. But imagine if a good company like Eleven with a track record of quality work producing these at $40-$80 a piece. I can see it. But then you see people asking $500 plus for just a painted Nathan head. Yikes...

Back