1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just started operating on a new head, this time I'm taking out the PERS to get rid of the deep eyes completely. I hate looking at that thick lower lid. It may all go horribly wrong!

:)

PERS...
photo-33.jpg

BEFORE SURGERY:

IMG_5534.jpg

Eyelid removal
IMG_5537.jpg
Jaw surgery:
IMG_5538.jpg

AFTER SURGERY (WIP on right, no added paint, just cutting, bending):
photocopy-2.jpg

I also started to make his mouth smaller, I will try adding a smile later..

photo-34.jpg

Now..onto paint..

Last edited:
I'm trying to sort out what you did here. Are you dremeling or shaving the thickness of the bottom "eyelids"? Can you better explain your plan, the execution and the outcome? And what's the 'bending'?

Hey man, here's what I did step by step:
1: take out the PERS box (it's only barely superglued in).
2: take out the PERS themselves (see pic above).
3: Shave down the PERS box, especially the chin section. I shaved mine back with a really sharp scalpel. The more you take off the smaller it is and the more room you have to push the soft face sculpt around.
4: I gently shaved off the inside of the eyelids with the too of the scalpel, from the back. It's actually easy enough, but you need a sharp scalpel blade.
5: Then I shaved out the inside of the face itself, this is very soft and easy to do.
6: Heat the face with a hairdryer, it becomes like rubber very easily and is quite malleable. Dip into cold water to set it.

The difference really is amazing, here are some WIP painting pics. The iPhone doesn't really do it justice, makes all the colors go too bright and burn out. I will have my camera back tomorrow and try to take some better pics..

This is where I started a few hours ago (note the eyes and shape/structure of face):
IMG_5534.jpg

And this is where I leave it for today!:
IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg
IMG_5579.jpg

Last edited:
3: Shave down the PERS box, especially the chin section. I shaved mine back with a really sharp scalpel. The more you take off the smaller it is and the more room you have to push the soft face sculpt around.
4: I gently shaved off the inside of the eyelids with the too of the scalpel, from the back. It's actually easy enough, but you need a sharp scalpel blade.
5: Then I shaved out the inside of the face itself, this is very soft and easy to do.
6: Heat the face with a hairdryer, it becomes like rubber very easily and is quite malleable. Dip into cold water to set it.

So did you just want to get the eyes closer to the face and less recessed -- was that the goal? Or is this something you have to do when reshaping the face?

Also, why and HOW did you do #5 -- what part of the inside of the face?

This seems very similar to what you did long ago to the original head but perhaps more extreme with confidence and a 2nd head. Having done this, is there any directions that you feel are unnecessary now?

Great work and great tutorial BTW. I'm asking a lot of questions only out of interest.

No worries man, yeah I did something similar to my first Indy head but a lot simpler, I learnt a lot from doing my Raiders custom and thought I could do a lot better. I had two main goals, restructure the jaw to make it more like Ford, and to try and make the eyes better. I have a problem with the dept of the eyeballs and the thickness of the bottom eyelids. So this time I decided to take the whole lot out. The eyelid issue is only necessary if you really hate the current lids. I was looking at the other DX releases and noticed how fine the lids and distance of the pupils were on those. So I shaved the inner lids. You have to be careful not to remove the back edges of the eyeholes as these keep the PERS in.

I would absolutely recommend fixing the jaw though. And it's a much easier fix. Look at that first pic of the head compared to the later ones. I think your head looked pretty good though. Just take out the box and look how it fits. The goal is to create some negative space in the head for you to squeeze the jaw in.
It's when you take out the box, you realise how messy the inner structure if the head is. I just shaved back the left and right side of the inner head, this is really easy as the head is very soft, a sharp scalpel can easily slice off the edges and lumps inside the head. The other thing that helps is cutting back the piece of the PERS box that supports the chin, this is harder plastic, I shaved about 2-3mm off either side of it, this creates a gap which allows the face to be squeezed in when heated. I will try and take a couple of pics for you tomorrow, as I know it's hard to visualise when described.
But it's a lot hardier than it looks, so don't be too concerned about ____ing it up!
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
No worries man, yeah I did something similar to my first Indy head but a lot simpler, I learnt a lot from doing my Raiders custom and thought I could do a lot better. I had two main goals, restructure the jaw to make it more like Ford, and to try and make the eyes better. I have a problem with the dept of the eyeballs and the thickness of the bottom eyelids. So this time I decided to take the whole lot out. The eyelid issue is only necessary if you really hate the current lids. I was looking at the other DX releases and noticed how fine the lids and distance of the pupils were on those. So I shaved the inner lids. You have to be careful not to remove the back edges of the eyeholes as these keep the PERS in.

I would absolutely recommend fixing the jaw though. And it's a much easier fix. Look at that first pic of the head compared to the later ones. I think your head looked pretty good though. Just take out the box and look how it fits. The goal is to create some negative space in the head for you to squeeze the jaw in.
It's when you take out the box, you realise how messy the inner structure if the head is. I just shaved back the left and right side of the inner head, this is really easy as the head is very soft, a sharp scalpel can easily slice off the edges and lumps inside the head. The other thing that helps is cutting back the piece of the PERS box that supports the chin, this is harder plastic, I shaved about 2-3mm off either side of it, this creates a gap which allows the face to be squeezed in when heated. I will try and take a couple of pics for you tomorrow, as I know it's hard to visualise when described.
But it's a lot hardier than it looks, so don't be too concerned about ____ing it up!
Hope this helps.

Of course it helps, thanks man! :duff

I like the overall shape of mine, I did the heat thing early like you. But I'm toying with this eye things of yours. I would love to bring the eyes out of the shadows, that's for sure. Mine could also definitely use a repaint or some ruddiness at least to bring him to life. Sweat seems to really add a level of reality too.

The difference really is amazing, here are some WIP painting pics. The iPhone doesn't really do it justice, makes all the colors go too bright and burn out. I will have my camera back tomorrow and try to take some better pics..

This is where I started a few hours ago (note the eyes and shape/structure of face):
IMG_5534.jpg

And this is where I leave it for today!:
IMG_5586.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg
IMG_5579.jpg

Better for sure Rorywan very good job on the eyes but the real problem with this headsculpt are the chin and the mouth, is very difficulty to see ford.. I still prefer the sideshow versions repainted...
I am on the way to change the body on this but still bettr than Ht Version...
a3kxah.jpg

later I will post my versions repainted to match up... again is better than Ht one (my opinion) Arnie this time has fault in this job..
original version of indy sideshow...
16j1wk9.jpg

Sorry, I used to be on the down with the HT Indy, but honestly, at least it looks human compared to the SS stuff. I can't believe SS still gets that much money for those figures. They aren't that much better than Hasbro to be charging that much.

Sorry, I used to be on the down with the HT Indy, but honestly, at least it looks human compared to the SS stuff. I can't believe SS still gets that much money for those figures. They aren't that much better than Hasbro to be charging that much.

honestly.. we are speaking about the sculpt not about painting, when you will see a indy ss head repainted.. I think you will change your mind...:wink1:

Back