1/6 Hot Toys - TMS126 - The Clone Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi (DeathWatch Disguise)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HT learning from their Disney masters I see...

In all seriousness, we see big companies (Disney for example) stealing fan work all the time and usually it is whoever they hired when outsourcing to create artwork being lazy and taking others work. If they had any honour they would contact the og artist but that ain't happening, they will just tell whoever photoshopped it to stop stealing fan art as it makes them look bad then call it a day.
At least Hasbro credits folks. Or notifies them.

I’ve worked on a couple of Lucasfilm licensed products and was told not to use any kind of fan art. And that was just for character design. Straight up grabbing an image was definitely off the table. I think this is something the HT graphic artist did and it wasn’t caught by licensing. Why would it? It was probably assumed that it was HT product.

I’ve worked on a couple of Lucasfilm licensed products and was told not to use any kind of fan art. And that was just for character design. Straight up grabbing an image was definitely off the table. I think this is something the HT graphic artist did and it wasn’t caught by licensing. Why would it? It was probably assumed that it was HT product.
I think you’re right.

I kind of think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion personally. It’s inner packaging artwork that most of us glance at for two seconds while we unbox the figure. I doubt there was any malice involved and it was probably something that wasn’t caught.

I kind of think the whole thing is being blown out of proportion personally. It’s inner packaging artwork that most of us glance at for two seconds while we unbox the figure. I doubt there was any malice involved and it was probably something that wasn’t caught.
So that makes it ok? Someone went onto IG and found a prominent customizers account and knowingly used these images for their design WORK. After all of that - they never even gave the guy a heads up? Didn’t offer him a 10% discount code lol? It isn’t even their product. Read above: it is a total no-no.

So that makes it ok? Someone went onto IG and found a prominent customizers account and knowingly used these images for their design WORK. After all of that - they never even gave the guy a heads up? Didn’t offer him a 10% discount code lol? It isn’t even their product. Read above: it is a total no-no.
Did you not read the second part of what I wrote? Probably a mistake that wasn’t caught as most are saying.

I just don’t think it’s as big of a deal as some are making it out to be. Some people making dramatic comments like: “this should be another nail in the coffin for Hot Toys” give me a break..

Did you not read the second part of what I wrote? Probably a mistake that wasn’t caught as most are saying.

I just don’t think it’s as big of a deal as some are making it out to be. Some people making dramatic comments like: “this should be another nail in the coffin for Hot Toys” give me a break..
Did you not read what I wrote? How is it a mistake? Someone at Hot Toys knowingly and willfully did something wrong.

You don’t get to decide whether or not it’s a big deal - the artist does. And he is/was trying to just reach out to them and they stonewalled him. That isn’t right. They didn’t even offer him an apology.

Legally, it’s still impermissible use of his property (photos) for commercialization. You’re trying to pass this off like it doesn’t matter because it wouldn’t matter to you.

Sorry, this is a totally worthwhile issue to bring up. I’ve been on this board for years and everyone levies their critiques at Hot Toys - some fair, others not. In this case, it was 1) not ok because someone down the line acted improperly and 2) they advertised a figure that isn’t even what’s in the box.

Also just because something is a mistake doesn’t mean that it doesn’t get remedied in some form or fashion to show good will. They blew him off and then told him “so what?”. Maybe if they hadn’t been totally rude about it, he wouldn’t be ruffled.

Alternate take: free advertisement. His photos are of Hot Toys products even. Like when Disney used Hot Toys emperor's face for their episode IX poster. I don't think a lawyer fight ensued after that, more likely drinks poured. Of course normal courtesy would be to at the very least give a heads up

Did you not read what I wrote? How is it a mistake? Someone at Hot Toys knowingly and willfully did something wrong.

You don’t get to decide whether or not it’s a big deal - the artist does. And he is/was trying to just reach out to them and they stonewalled him. That isn’t right. They didn’t even offer him an apology.

Legally, it’s still impermissible use of his property (photos) for commercialization. You’re trying to pass this off like it doesn’t matter because it wouldn’t matter to you.

Sorry, this is a totally worthwhile issue to bring up. I’ve been on this board for years and everyone levies their critiques at Hot Toys - some fair, others not. In this case, it was 1) not ok because someone down the line acted improperly and 2) they advertised a figure that isn’t even what’s in the box.

Also just because something is a mistake doesn’t mean that it doesn’t get remedied in some form or fashion to show good will. They blew him off and then told him “so what?”. Maybe if they hadn’t been totally rude about it, he wouldn’t be ruffled.
You agree with the other poster above me who wrote the same thing essentially but worded differently but proceed to give me a lecture? Okay.

Alternate take: free advertisement. His photos are of Hot Toys products even. Like when Disney used Hot Toys emperor's face for their episode IX poster. I don't think a lawyer fight ensued after that, more likely drinks poured. Of course normal courtesy would be to at the very least give a heads up
There would never be litigation. Every contract I’ve ever seen from Lucasfilm states something about them being able to use the image/product for whatever they want, as much as they want without further compensation.

There would never be litigation. Every contract I’ve ever seen from Lucasfilm states something about them being able to use the image/product for whatever they want, as much as they want without further compensation.
Not about litigation or financial renumeration here.

Hot Toys can’t and shouldn’t be allowed to screen scrape the CF custom threads at their discretion. Someone went to a page called “Dwoons Customs” and took images that weren’t theirs. I think that sucks and is probably one of the more valid and warranted indictments of Hot Toys made on this board.

Agree but they never even gave him a nod or credit lol.

Not about litigation or financial renumeration here.

Hot Toys can’t and shouldn’t be allowed to screen scrape the CF custom threads at their discretion. Someone went to a page called “Dwoons Customs” and took images that weren’t theirs. I think that sucks and is probably one of the more valid and warranted indictments of Hot Toys made on this board.
I was referring to the use of HT Emperor in the Disney poster.
For product, HT should use their own resources.

I’m just saying you write a lecturing post to me when you agreed with the other poster who had the same basic conclusion as me only worded differently. Just found it funny.
Don’t take it as a lecture. That wasn’t my intent and this is just a discussion board for us to talk collectively about a hobby we care about. I didn’t mean to come off as patronizing. I just disagreed with your choice of words. No harm, no foul man.

I disagree with you that it isn’t a big deal.
You seem more upset about it than David Woon himself… He ended up buying the figure because he liked seeing his own art on the box, he’s taking it as a compliment. Should they have done that? No, but I’m sure they won’t do it again.

You seem more upset about it than David Woon himself… He ended up buying the figure because he liked seeing his own art on the box, he’s taking it as a compliment. Should they have done that? No, but I’m sure they won’t do it again.
I probably am, but that really doesn’t matter here.

I don’t like corporate skullduggery and I despise it even more when it’s done by a company who possesses an artistic license to create things. It’s inherently lame. And I want to talk about it. This thread is precisely where it should be done.

Licensing allows someone other than the IP owner to use the IP for a specific purpose. It does NOT entitle them to collect anything related to the IP and call it their own. I can’t be the artist for this month’s issue Superman and then go screen scrape another artist’s image of Superman annd cite it as my own and NOT give credit/or engage with them ahead of publication. And someone at Hot Toys did exactly that. It’s not like this was their figure that he posed - it’s his own custom, a different offering than what they’re selling.

Slippery slope or not, it annoys me to no end and it should annoy others. I hope you’re right and they don’t do it again.

If I were David I would simply ask HT for a copy of the figure on the house as payment. That would be well worth it to me, at least. Maybe a quick blurb on their FB or Insta plugging his post with his Mauldalorians or something.

Back